Hello from suki

Say hello!!
Suki

Hello from suki

Post by Suki »

Hello,

I’m hoping to semi-retire at 35 (in around 23 months). In the interim my goals this year are to get solar panels, start growing some very tiny crops of vegetables (working on some easy radishes/broadbeans/blueberries at the moment), improve my health and to find a remote job which I can do for around 20-40 hours a month when I’m semi-retired.

Suki

lightfruit55

Re: Hello from suki

Post by lightfruit55 »

Welcome Suki :)

Seems like we are on the same journey, and have around similar timeline.

If I may ask (asking as I'm currently grappling with these issues myself, but please feel free to not answer if these questions are too personal/intrusive):

1. What are you looking forward to semi-retiring "to" ?
2. How many years of annual expenses will you feel comfortable/secure semi-retiring on?
3. What are you biggest fears of semi-retiring, and how do you plan to address or mitigate them?
4. What is your plan to find a the said remote job which you can do around 20-40 hours a month and/or do you have any resources/ideas on where one can find such jobs?

Suki

Re: Hello from suki

Post by Suki »

Hello light fruit55 :)

1. I want to be able to spend more time with my husband and extended family, travel on my own time schedule, not just in my designated 4 weeks off or less a year.

I want to be able to spend more time outdoors, and learn new things (part time leisure education courses). I want to have the freedom to go off on a tangent and follow whatever harebrained idea strikes me as really exciting at the moment.

2. A paid off house and roughly 8-9 times annual expenses (though I can almost halve my annual expenses if required and have done in the past over short periods of time e.g. when saving up for my house deposit)

3. My biggest fears are losing the sense of self worth that comes with having a highly regarded professional job and a worry that I won’t have the self sufficiency to deal with unexpected events.

4. These have been my ideas so far for part time jobs in semi retirement;

- remote medical editor
- aesthetic practitioner (Botox/dermal filler)
- casual remote working on helpline centre (my husband has a job like this with a breakdown recovery company)
- seasonal work for national trust/ in tourism (I live next to an ‘area of outstanding natural beauty’