Quirky by Melissa A. Schilling

Your favorite books and links
candide

Quirky by Melissa A. Schilling

Post by candide »

Quirky pulls together a close study of the following "breakthrough" serial innovators:

Albert Einstein, Elon Musk, Nikola Telsa, Thomas Edison, Marie Currie, Steve Jobs, Dean Kamen, and Benjamin Franklin

I leave it to someone interested enough in the topic to read the book to find the author's discussion of why these individuals were selected [1]. Each chapter is organized by a trait most of innovators share, and the biography of one individual from the list is used to anchor the discussion.

I think Quirky does an excellent job of showing where there are similarities and differences. For example, all the serial innovators in the sample were workaholics. Also, all of them worked toward idealistic goals, except for Thomas Edison, and because he is the notable exception, extra attention is given to his motivations throughout his career [2]. The majority of the group showed heavily shortened sleep schedules, with Einstein's sleep patterns being the biggest outlier, sleeping 10 hours a night. Franklin slept seven, and apparently Elon Musk's sleep is an ongoing discussion online because we live in a very loud time (search it out for yourself).

After reading a few pages, I grew afraid that this book would become a business book, stopping near constantly to hype its own vision, and giving tips how we can all be serial innovators. I jumped to reading the back flap, and grew yet more concerned when I saw Schilling was "a published expert in the field of innovation", and associated with a string of business schools. I am happy to say that my fears did not come to pass. The traits and biographies are well-researched and discussed with rigor, and the discussions of implications are sparse and even-handed, leaving a lot for the readers to think about and draw their own conclusions upon. The book is honest: you might not be able to become a serial innovator of this level.

II

Here's one of the most interesting passages from the book:
In my [Schilling's] work modeling cognitive insight as a network process, I showed that individuals who are more likely or more able to search longer paths through the network of associations in their mind can arrive at a connection between two ideas or facts that seems unexpected or strange to others. What appears to be random may not be random at all -- it is just difficult for other people to see the association because they are not following as long a chain of associations (109-110).
Many things spin off from this concept. For one, it really hard to follow the thoughts of the truly creative. They are usually seeing wider than other people to come up with their ideas. For this reason, Schiller recommends not pre-censoring the ideas of entrepreneurs and researchers.

Also, I think this means creative people are prone to find shorter, easier connections to be boring. To them, the repeated cliché can easily grow tedious. This brings up a possible reversal of causation -- perhaps boredom with easy connections is what drives these people to seek out longer chains. How much this chain seeking overlaps with or is subsumed by the Big Five Trait of Openess to Experience I leave as an open question (pun accepted).

My intuition was that seeking longer associative chains was separate from IQ, but something that could stack well upon it -- probably safer to say I thought they were mildly correlated, at best. Some research, visible at [3] indicates that might be the case. My intuition was based on interactions with people who at least self-identify as being high IQ. They often misunderstand what others say, and try to twist difficult questions into trivially stupid ones and then give a trivially stupid, uncreative answers, often expecting to be praised for their quickness. This could be a simple case of my maxim "contempt brain is stupid brain," (ie a lot of people have contempt for me) but Paul Graham shows there are people who maintain this intellectual peevishness even towards people who are trying to help them get rich. Graham:
http://www.paulgraham.com/word.html
. . . I noticed a pattern in the least successful startups we'd funded: they all seemed hard to talk to. It felt as if there was some kind of wall between us. I could never quite tell if they understood what I was saying.
[. . .]
Like real world resourcefulness, conversational resourcefulness often means doing things you don't want to. Chasing down all the implications of what's said to you can sometimes lead to uncomfortable conclusions. The best word to describe the failure to do so is probably "denial," though that seems a bit too narrow. A better way to describe the situation would be to say that the unsuccessful founders had the sort of conservatism that comes from weakness. They traversed idea space as gingerly as a very old person traverses the physical world
I see it working this way:

1) There are high IQ people.
2) There are people with high desire for long network paths who seek more knowledge (the IQ cheerleaders will point out that this requires an IQ threshold. Neat. They may want to look at footnote [3] closely).
3) Only when you have both do people load into their minds as much as they can, forging connections, seeing more, and being able to make mental manipulations in the larger space.

This is what it takes to be the best of the best in innovation.

. . . After the quote above, Schilling goes on to talk about Musk and Nikola Telsa's ability to do lightening calculations, store them in their head and keep flying, but I think that is too narrow of an instance of the point being made.

After all, Ian Stewart in the book Significant Figures states
Most lighting calculators are hopeless at anything more advanced than arithmetic; Gauss, as ever, was an exception (279).
Multiple talents can overlap on top of one another. When they do in exceptional ways, you can get some exceptional innovators.

==

[1] Two individuals I think could be easily added to the list are Buckminster Fuller and Thomas Jefferson. Doing so, however, wouldn't add much to the content of the book. Instead, think of them as independent tests to assess Schilling's conclusions. Interestingly, both are noted for odd sleep schedules, something else that seems common enough among serial innovators. Jefferson often stayed up several days in a row and then crashed and slept up to 24 hours straight. And Fuller promoted his dymaxion sleep as just another item in his suite of weirdo ideas.

[2] Though Edison came out and told people he wasn't idealistic and just invented for money, his biographical sketch showed how curious he was and how willing to throw money at ventures based on how interesting they were for him to explore, rather than working as a profit center. He was actually a pretty bad businessman.

[3] From the abstract of this abstract of a paper
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3682183/

When investigating a liberal criterion of ideational originality (i.e., two original ideas), a threshold was detected at around 100 IQ points. In contrast, a threshold of 120 IQ points emerged when the criterion was more demanding (i.e., many original ideas). . . In addition, we obtained evidence that once the intelligence threshold is met, personality factors become more predictive for creativity.

Slevin

Re: Quirky by Melissa A. Schilling

Post by Slevin »

The Listening Society takes a good long while to study the relationship between IQ and MHC (model of hierarchical complexity) and while it finds correlation to a degree, high IQ is more a measure of how fast you calculate mid level difficulty problems more so that how complex of situations you can hold + understand. So you wouldn’t expect a direct correlation here, as you would are measuring something different than how fast people can solve problems (I.e. people who like to make a lot of inventions). Interestingly, I would bet the MHC of these people would probably vary decently as well, as some of them have bigger picture views, some are scientists, and some more salesmen.

candide

Post by candide »

That IQ/MHC distinction as presented does a lot for explaining the "shit, but quicker" trait I've noticed among some who declared they were high IQ/gifted.

Does MHC account for all of Schilling's "long chain of associations" or are there different things getting stacked on each other?
Googling brings me here

https://metamoderna.org/what-is-the-mhc/

Reading the descriptions of levels 13, 14, and 15 (metasystematic and up) in a cursory way before baby-doctor appointment and then work, I am inclined to see these are different things that stack well, or maybe a threshold.

Just a guy arm-chairing this without enough reading, but I would throw out the conjecture that hunger for longer chains/disdain for shorter chains is a slightly different dimension, or perhaps vehicular for those higher cognitive stages.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

So the longer associative chains show up in systematic, and more interesting / higher level associative chains would show up in Metasystematic, making this again a threshold game (you must be this tall to ride the ride -> you must be this complex to see associative chains) but probably not an explicit “more inventions -> more complexity”. Probably most of these people existed in the systematic or meta systematic.

Then I would cross pollinate with stack theory (see 101 and 102) to add that it would probably be a XNTX who would be making the most inventions, as you would want the Ti or Te as a main function, and likely a Ni or Ne as well (but this would be coming from a heavy bias of what we see here on this forum. The XNTJ would be looking at the problem with a cloudy idea of what is going on, trying to tinker and figure out the little bits to get the result they wanted whereas the XNTP would be trying to understand the entire system, constructing models or meta models to work against with experiments and then thoroughly reconfiguring the models when the outcomes don’t match the theory (I think, nobody is an expert in stack theory yet). Not a hard rule either, as I think Wilber is running an INFP stack, and again developed one of the best existing theories of adult development.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Brute-forcing innovation by throwing mud on the wall is still an effective strategy. This explains why workaholism is at least part of the answer and why frustration-tolerance is a desired ability in scientific research. Time-effort-drive can compensate for lack of intelligence... to a degree.

I think innovation is often presented as strokes of genius with a high hit-ratio---"There I was walking in the park, when I suddenly saw the light"----whereas in reality particularly innovative individuals simply put in a lot of mental work to the point of obsession. The flash of inspiration happens after uploading ideas. Like, I usually get my creative insights when going to the toilet, but that doesn't make for a very inspirational story line. Yet it at least avoids drawing the conclusion that going to the bathroom is the source of creative ideas.

I'll certainly buy the idea of a "minimum IQ" and that for most human endeavors, about 120ish (~1 sd) is enough to become competitive (insofar an obsession develops). The few expectations might be physics or (especially) mathematics which require more like 130 or 140 points to get noticed, respectively. This means that insofar you have an IQ of 120, you can probably become a professor in most things except physics and mathematics. Put it another way, it's easier to tell the difference between signal and noise in some fields than others. See https://xkcd.com/451/ I also mean to [strongly] imply that what we perceive as being creative vis-a-vis trivial combinations might be set exactly by the population IQ distribution.

IOW, we define recognizable creativity as whatever the top 1sd can do ... and hard creativity as what the 2sd can do ... and absolute genius as in the 3sd range; much of which is dismissed as "crazy" or "maladjusted". => There's an Overton window for creative expression!!

I agree that IQ mainly measures "speed and registers", that is, something pretty close to CPU capacity (think hardware)... whereas creativity is more about how your information is interlinked (think software).

In terms of success, I don't think we should discount leverage via either money or connections. Lots of a people have lots of great ideas, but 99.999% of them need to spend most of their time lobbying or promoting those ideas before they can get anywhere.

In particular, creative humans have expressed a shitload of ideas that were before their time and thus not recognized accordingly by the hoi polloi. Walden was unrecognized. Bachelier was ignored. Stigler's law exists for a reason. Scaffolding.