How Eric Lundgren and BigBattery Are Changing How We Think About “Used” Batteries

Your favorite books and links
horsewoman

How Eric Lundgren and BigBattery Are Changing How We Think About “Used” Batteries

Post by horsewoman »

Here is an interesting article about a guy who is repurposing car batteries.

https://de.ifixit.com/News/49861/how-er ... IgJX5qVS_8

Sclass

Re: How Eric Lundgren and BigBattery Are Changing How We Think About “Used” Batteries

Post by Sclass »

Yeah I remembered when this guy got sentenced. He was technically guilty under the eyes of the law though he had plausible deniability. I recall his biggest mistake was actually writing “Microsoft” on his recovery disks.

I’ve played with repurposed laptop batteries. My friend used to give me pallets of them from his IT job where he maintained laptops. I made a lot of lithium powered devices from them. My big gripe though is that they are often degraded by the time you get them. Usually one cell in the pack completely dies and the pack is discarded. But the other cells are also degraded. They do not perform well - that is they don’t source as much current on demand and they won’t hold as much charge. That being said I do have a big Tupperware filled with them to power my flashlights.

Breaking down bus bars is hard work. You get cut a lot. It is also dangerous because shorted Lithium batteries can start fires. Then you need an arc welder to efficiently solder the tabs back on. It isn’t easy but it looks like Lundgren has tooled up for it.

Neat article.