Introducing ourselves - and a plea for advice :)

Say hello!!
JenDuck

Introducing ourselves - and a plea for advice :)

Post by JenDuck »

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to ERE, though have researched FIRE plenty over the past few months. I have found ERE seems to sit well with me philosophically much better than the FIRE movement due to its anti-consumerism, DIY focus. I'd love some advice from the people on this forum.

My partner and I are in our early-30s and both very much interested in environmentalism, living sustainably and in harmony with the world around us. We live in Australia.

Neither of us enjoys being beholden to 9 to 5 work and my partner has significant mental health struggles that could result in unemployment in the near-term. I earn enough to keep us afloat and then some due to our frugal ways. We have recently (this year) started putting away about 60-70 per cent of my income for investments. A further 5-10 per cent goes to "sinking funds" (bigger bills e.g. annual expenses), 10 per cent to ongoing living costs and 10 per cent for either emergency savings, play money or whatever else. My partner is saving for our next car, contributes to the living costs and puts aside a hefty amount for our animals - we rescue - as we get stung with substantial vet bills relatively regularly. Our petrol costs are also substantial as we live in the country and commute up to 130kms/80 miles a day to get to the office though thankfully are blended work from home these days.

We have no debt. We have paid off our mortgage by leaving the city, selling our old house and building something small but on a lot of acreage from scratch (our current house is worth $850,000 or so but we paid far less and I project managed the build to keep the costs down), HECS (student loans) and all consumer debt. We do not have electricity or utility bills as we have gone fully off-grid on our property with solar and septic and water tanks, wood heater etc.

Other "assets":
A hybrid car (worth about $25,000 to $30,000) and a second car worth under $1000 that is an emergency vehicle
Superannuation (about $200,000 between the two of us - can't touch until our 60s!)
Savings (emergency fund of about $17,000, extra cash of about $10,000 across other accounts earmarked for needed property improvements, sheds etc)
Investments of about $25,000 in managed funds and ETFs

Our biggest expenses are food for us and our animals ($200 a fortnight), council rates ($1800 a year), house and contents insurance ($1400 a year), car insurance/registration/maintenance ($3000 a year across two vehicles), petrol and psych/medical bills ($190 a week - we expect this cost will decline with time as my partner's health improves), internet/phones ($150 a month).

We currently try to DIY as much as possible. We garden, compost, worm farm and forage food. We try to repair everything we have before we replace it. We have low-cost hobbies and enjoy learning new things especially around sustainability and self-sufficiency. There's nothing we like more than being in our little home and working on a project (solar oven pending!)

The problem is definitely finding the stamina to stare down what could potentially be another 5 to 10 years in the standard workforce provided we can drive up our investments. How do you manage knowing it's potentially a long road ahead until the freedom years? We're struggling to stay motivated as it is.

We could theoretically sell, look for somewhere cheaper with the same sort of lifestyle but even further away from a city (paying the taxes etc on the way) and use the profits to shore up our investments. However, we like our home and are close to family here and moving can be disruptive. Would you consider a drastic move to speed up the timeline?

Another issue keeping me up a bit is how to prepare for inflation? We haven't been as affected as others as we buy very little (and we tend to buy secondhand) but the cost of even the most basic staples like oats and rice is starting to increase here, not to mention tradies when we do need a solid amount of work done.

I'd really welcome some of your thoughts :). Hopefully I have provided enough information!

basuragomi

Re: Introducing ourselves - and a plea for advice :)

Post by basuragomi »

At $20k in spending and 70% savings it seems like your income is below median for a DINK family, like two minimum wage incomes. Is that really worth driving so far for? Maybe there's something closer to home you could do instead and still come out ahead? Your car costs are half your expenses, cutting your expenses by half would bring you from 10 years to FI to 4.

It seems like your highest-income activity is actually developing land into housing, would you ever try repeating that experience e.g. splitting your lot and building another house?

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Welcome! It sounds like you are already on a great path.

JenDuck wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:26 pm
How do you manage knowing it's potentially a long road ahead until the freedom years? We're struggling to stay motivated as it is.
One of the core questions - are you looking towards freedom from the burden of work or freedom to do specific things? People are divided in their motivation. You and your spouse may differ.

For me, freedom from was the entire driver. It didn't leave the mental space for an ERE lifestyle. Rather than blending two in-congruent approaches, I did better leaning into the consumerism. House keeper, food delivery, hiring out repairs, etc. That provided mental space, which let me accelerate my high earning path. I easily out paced the increased expenses. But - my transition into retirement was much harder as a result.

IMO the freedom to path is better, if you can make it work. In that case, you might change behaviors incrementally over time, moving towards your freedom to. Maybe your job even changes, gradually converging on a semi-retirement, with multiple small income streams.

JenDuck wrote:
Would you consider a drastic move to speed up the timeline?
Have you played with the safe withdrawal rate calculators? Do you have a number in mind?

We had this option. Moving would have cut our home expenses by about 1/3. We did not take it, for many of the same reasons you state. When you get close to retirement, you learn there is no hard line in the sand. Rather, it's about building a new lifestyle. A big round number isn't required, nor is a perfect withdrawal rate. So sacrificing core quality of life factors may not be worthwhile.

It's pretty straight forward to quantify the cost difference between lifestyles, then extrapolate that to target net worth numbers. Since financial growth compounds, the added time for a little more money is often short. You can decide if the value is there. An extra year of work might be all it takes.
JenDuck wrote:
Another issue keeping me up a bit is how to prepare for inflation?
Non-financial capital is a valuable inflation hedge. Your post reads as though that is well developed. It's possible in the worst case, some of the skills can be traded for enough money to offset inflation, without upsetting your new lifestyle.

Otherwise - when you run financial projections, inflation is typically baked into your safe withdrawal rate. I am on this ride right now. I'll be honest, even when the math works, it doesn't feel great. I am finding that motivates additional skill development.

Someone pointed out to me - if a portfolio fails, it doesn't happen overnight. That's a slow moving train, you see coming a decade away. So there is plenty of time to respond for a worst case scenario, like runaway inflation. Since you have both resources and the luxury of time, you can pivot.

The other factor that assuaged my fears, was comparing risk of death with risk of the portfolio running out of money. If there's a 5% chance of my money running out at 80, but a 50% chance I'm dead, maybe I have enough? Is inflation really the bigger risk?

chenda

Post by chenda »

Given you are off grid I'd not be too concerned about inflation, especially if you can reduce fuel consumption by WFH more.

In Australia I'd be more concerned just how climate change resilient your current location is.

sky

Post by sky »

You have done a good job in creating a low cost lifestyle, now you need a long term, secure passive income to keep your lifestyle going. If I read your report correctly, you are able to save six times your expenses. With the traditional 4% withdrawal rate, you would need 25 times your expenses in investments or about 4 years of working and saving. That is an excellent situation to be in, congratulations.

Your concern about inflation is very valid. You might want to target a higher investment amount, or you can look for other types of income, both passive and active. You might want to develop some type of business, product or service that you can perform for profit. Hopefully something that does not require a large investment. Even a local part time job might be an adequate inflation buffer.

Your most important asset is your health. I would recommend focusing on healing or relieving health problems as a first priority.

To the extent that health issues allow, I would recommend working to build up an investment portfolio of about 25 times your annual expenses, and then focus on improving your quality of life, with a secondary focus on creating a sideline source of income.

JenDuck

Post by JenDuck »

basuragomi wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:43 am
At $20k in spending and 70% savings it seems like your income is below median for a DINK family, like two minimum wage incomes. Is that really worth driving so far for? Maybe there's something closer to home you could do instead and still come out ahead? Your car costs are half your expenses, cutting your expenses by half would bring you from 10 years to FI to 4.

It seems like your highest-income activity is actually developing land into housing, would you ever try repeating that experience e.g. splitting your lot and building another house?
Re: income - we don't rely on my partner's income due to mental health issues, so effectively I never factor that into the equation just in case it isn't coming in. So really that is based on my income. Partner's funds get put aside to cover psych bills/etc should she be unable to work and to cover animal vet bill account and she wants another car so is saving. We should really run the numbers using both of our incomes - but the 20k spending/70 per cent savings rate is based on my own post-tax salary (and post superannuation), which is probably a touch higher than average in the nearest city.

Car costs technically we could only really cut the petrol and/or I could buy a cheaper car and sell off the existing one. We need to have the ability to move all our rescue animals and ourselves in case of emergency. As someone pointed out below - climate change sucks and bushfires are a reality in Australia.

We have considered subdividing our land, but due to council restrictions/rezoning we may be a way off. We do have the right for a second dwelling, and room for it, but we moved to the middle of nowhere for that mental peace so I am not sure it is ideal... However that is pretty decent food for thought!

JenDuck

Post by JenDuck »

chenda wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:13 am
Given you are off grid I'd not be too concerned about inflation, especially if you can reduce fuel consumption by WFH more.

In Australia I'd be more concerned just how climate change resilient your current location is.
Climate change is definitely tough. Our land was untouched by 2019 bushfires, though we have had grass fires here (land is largely cleared). We are fully insured and prepared to get up and drive all our animals out in an emergency.

Thankfully, we are not exposed to flooding.

I do worry about water shortages - trucking in water is a $550 expense for 25,000L. We have over-provisioned on the size of the water tank though (110,000L) to take advantage when it does rain but only have a small roof (house is under 70 square metres).

JenDuck

Post by JenDuck »

Thank you to the other responses too - will reply a little later when I have some extra time, but the comments have been very helpful.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

JenDuck wrote:
The problem is definitely finding the stamina to stare down what could potentially be another 5 to 10 years in the standard workforce provided we can drive up our investments. How do you manage knowing it's potentially a long road ahead until the freedom years? We're struggling to stay motivated as it is.
Welcome! I think that it is important to have a vision for 5-10 years down the road, but don't let that overwhelm you. Focus on the daily, weekly, or monthly and set up systems that help you achieve your long-term vision, but still allow you to enjoy your life on a day to day basis. It is easy to get caught up in thinking about the future, and sacrificing quality of life today. The trick for me was slowly decoupling consumption or spending from experiences I valued. Appreciate the simple things like time with your partner, your animals, walks through nature, good music, and home-cooked meals.

This approach - taking things day by day - relieves the pressure from needing to make big decisions or drastic steps immediately. It gives you some time to process things and make tactical moves in your life. You never know what kind of opportunities might emerge that make sense on a whole range of levels.

For example, maybe seven years down the road you and your partner are 75% of the way to FI, but decide to create a center that pairs rescue animals with people who are struggling with mental health.