Anyone moved to a different state for cheaper housing?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
classical_Liberal

Re: Anyone moved to a different state for cheaper housing?

Post by classical_Liberal »

chenda wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:11 pm
I think it's a great idea although I'd want to keep most of my financial assets, especially property, in the more climate resilient north and still continue to accumulate enough to move back north if or when it became necessary.
Yep
chenda wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:11 pm
That's kinda what I'm doing.
Interested in sharing the location(s)?

Hristo Botev wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:35 pm
I hear Duluth is the new San Francisco!
NOOOOOOO! Thats my one of my summer places.. Stay away, it's cold, horrible, and filled with horrible people like me.

chenda

Post by chenda »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:00 pm
Interested in sharing the location(s)?
UK and Portugal. The COL in Portugal is roughly 40% lower than the UK, and has great weather, vibrant Latin culture, little crime, and is generally great with a northern European income.

But I'm concerned about long term water shortages and wild fires. This year water levels in reservoirs have dropped so low that you can walk the streets of long submerged villages: See:

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/02 ... underwater

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I tried selling my Spouse on the idea of going to Delaware. On the border of Maryland. Sparse population there. +1 if we could grow most of our own food. Some spots are known to be food deserts. Plenty of spots to go fishing. Even better if my job is truly truly remote...

Delaware has no no state or local sales tax. Cheap housing as well at least from what I saw passing through (well at least compared to the DMV).

Would be a quiet place to live out the Anthropocene.