The Jump: Program to reduce footprint

The "other" ERE. Societal aspects of the ERE philosophy. Emergent change-making, scale-effects,...
AnalyticalEngine

Re: The Jump: Program to reduce footprint

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

I have another train question. How much space for luggage do they allow you? Would it be possible to bring something like a bicycle?

chenda

Post by chenda »

AnalyticalEngine wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:16 pm
I have another train question. How much space for luggage do they allow you? Would it be possible to bring something like a bicycle?
Yes there is usually storage space for bikes. There's luggage racks more generous than an overhead locker.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Bike rules for Amtrak:

https://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard

I used the Amtrak as a commuter train a few hundred times - 2 to 3 hours per trip. I wouldn't want to ride coach cross country. All the delays that can happen with flight travel are just as possible. Your train can be replaced with a bus. You can get stuck overnight. You can miss your connecting train. The free WiFi is always slow and often goes out entirely. The packaged food is overpriced, when available. Business class is worth the upgrade when available, because it gets you away from the families, drunks and students.

I tried a roomette for a roughly 2 day ride. I hate flying or even driving. It was novel and fun going out. Coming home, not so much. Plane tickets would have been cheaper, faster, more comfortable, etc. Train travel in the US isn't well supported. Outside of the carbon impact, or an inability to fly, the best reason is to have the slow travel experience. It is beautiful.

They do sell a one month, 10 ride pass for $500. That could be an interesting and economical way to see the country.

I personally haven't seen the return on small changes to my thermostat. Maybe it's a US thing, but the difference between using the AC as little as I can tolerate, and comfortably cool, is a dollar or two per day. Similar with the heat. I ruled it out, after trying it. I've done a full Midwestern summer with no AC. I've done 62 inside during winter. There are far easier trade offs.

My modern home is also designed under the assumption it will be heavily climate controlled. There's not a good way to create a cross breeze. Moisture control is a general issue. At around 85 inside - the basement pipes sweat and leave green stains on the concrete. I can only imagine what's happening inside the walls. My fridge begins to struggle. Food goes bad faster. The upstairs becomes nearly unusable. Etc.