The Education of Axel Heyst

Where are you and where are you going?
AxelHeyst

Re: The Education of Axel Heyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Yes... well, I also think a lot of people have no idea why they'd want to become a howlie in the first place. The benefits are far from self-evident, and the lack of attractive examples of howlies easily on hand is part of the issue I think. Not many howlies in popular culture (although see the howlie thread for what examples do exist, of course...) So it's less a lack of willingness to do the work, it's lack of a Why to do the work, and then even if that's sorted, it's a lack of a clear What Work Exactly to Actually Do. The lack of a linear do-this then-that makes the whole thing require a high level of creativity, so it's basically impossible to just grind your way to howlie status as you say.

But - do you feel stuck? I feel like I've got my eyes a few paces ahead, but I actually am progressing in what I need to be progressing on in the here and now. I mean, from one perspective the shipping container build was a "mistake" - it turned out to not be the solution I thought it'd be - but I see that as the dues owed to this non-standard process of figuring an alt lifestyle out.

Anyways, you and WRC have inspired me for a long time to post actual trip updates. Last Wednesday the grind of getting things ready for us to leave was getting to us, and I said "Fuck it, let's go to Death Valley".

We did four nights. I had legit dirtbag-nomad business just inside Nevada on the far side of the park, where we camped the first night. Then we took Titus Canyon in to the Park, a first for me. A Corolla could do it, so it wasn't the most exciting route from a technical off-roading perspective, but the views were worth it. Could see Whitney from the ridge above the pass near Thimble Peak, and I have a thing for slot canyons. We met friends at a campground the second night (they're not dirtbags, so they balked at my offer of poop bucket access and dry camping up in a canyon somewhere), then did the Dante's View hike, an 8.7mi out-n-back with views over Badwater straight to Telescope Peak, 22mi away straightline.

It was the last trip with the truck. I'm fixing a few things on it and will be listing it for sale in the next few days. Even though it's had a rough and tumble 245,000miles, it ought to fetch a decent price due to the chip/supply line shortage. It's probable I'll get another vehicle whenever we get back, but I won't *need* a truck, so I might as well let go of it now while the lettin' go's good.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

LOVE that second picture.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Beautiful photos. Looks like the perfect farewell trip with serenity.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."

-Malcolm Reynolds

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I hear you on the Capx. Do you think a sick old lady could be a howlie, or is some above average degree of physical functioning necessary?

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

@wrc Serenity is the cargo trailer - safe and sound and my daily domicile on the family land, and going nowhere anytime soon. The truck is Jeremiah. Still an emotional thing - it feels wrong somehow to separate the two, since they’ve been together for so long.

@7 - I don’t think above average physical ability is a prerequisite at all… I assume it just channels one’s focus and efforts in different areas. In one sense, if my WoG depends on physical prowess, that’s a fragility, because my health can be taken away by one bad fall or other whim of fate.

It occurred to me that almost all of my capx has been in the pursuit of shelter. All the way back to 2020, most of my >1jafi expenses had to do with either driving around looking for a place to build something, or actually building something. I’m not proud to admit that I was irked that basouragami outed me at 2.2jafi in Viktor K’s journal, because that figure includes the cost of building most of two tiny houses, *plus* an out of pocket surgery. In my view that proves Scott 2’s point that you can’t put those numbers side to side without factoring in what they’re accounting for. I’ve been living at <1jafi since September, and as soon as I figure out this whole alternative shelter business it’ll be smooth sailing. [edit: see post below. I'm not actually mad at Basuragomi]

But, to Basuragami’s point, I am *actually* spending 2.2jafi. That is how much actual usd left my accounts. If I don’t watch it, I’ll keep building 80% of a tiny house, then abandoning it and moving on, forever. If that goes on long enough, I’ll no longer be able to fool myself that it’s a capx - half-building tiny houses is just my weird, mildly expensive hobby.

So I need to get more strategic about it. What are the factors that lead to these expenses?
1) Time pressure. This is the second build where I’ve put us (DGF and I) in a somewhat uncomfortable living circumstance where we’re waiting for me to finish The Build in order for our lives to improve. It’s difficult to ascend a competence S-curve under a tight deadline, particularly when one of the Stakeholders is the person you snuggle to sleep every night, and so I fall back on the construction methods I’m competent at, which involve lots of trips to the conventional hardware store. This runs right in to factor #2, which is
2) Relatively high $/sf. It’s on the low end of conventional, but I’d like to be on the low end of “wait HOW much did he spend on that??” Like, three figures for a studio/bedroom. I see this as at least two S-curves: alt building methods such as earthbag, tire wall, rubble trench, cob, even vernacular, and low-cost/free salvage materials acquisition.
3) Insufficiently mature minimalism. Part of the reason we need space is because we have stuff. We probably don’t need all this stuff. But since we don’t have any space, all our stuff is in boxes spread out in nooks and crannies all over the place. Getting serious and really culling all the stuff will help me be able to design appropriate spaces / not overbuild.
4) Uncertainty / indecision about where to build. There’s no perfect place. We only recently decided to commit to the family land for our west coast base of operations, with a possible initiative to build something in the Midwest at a future date. Before this decision, we were really scattered and that caused lots of $friction muda.

Most of these factors should be eased after the completion of this current build. The easing of tight deadlines, and the commitment to not accept another tight deadline in the future, should give me the space I need to ascend the S-curve of very low cost construction methods. The tighter decisions about location should mean we won’t be abandoning current investment of time and money, and spending $friction schlepping stuff around. The next year or so of frugal slow travel should tighten our minimalism game and make us more comfortable in living situations we used to find distasteful.
Last edited by AxelHeyst on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

That is how much actual usd left my accounts. If I don’t watch it, I’ll keep building 80% of a tiny house, then abandoning it and moving on, forever. If that goes on long enough, I’ll no longer be able to fool myself that it’s a capx - half-building tiny houses is just my weird, mildly expensive hobby.
Yeah, I very much have the same problem with my gardening/permaculture projects, but it might be the case that avoiding taking on weird, mildly expensive hobbies is false economy. For instance, because of my non-lucrative interest in permaculture and systems theory, it is very easy for me to understand some business or technology problems like why one strategy for creating a municipal internet mesh was more successful than another. It seems like conventional financial accounting systems tend to break down around whatever Wheaton Level approximates maybe 2 JAFI/year spending. If you took what you are beating yourself up for to ridiculous extreme, even those who make a "hobby" out of active investment would have to write off as personal expense the extent to which they did not match passive index results in any given month or year. At some point, you become the best and only judge of your intentions and ultimate success.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I hear you. I feel like, for my systems, I'm not at the point of system maturity yet to be able to call myself an outlier and cease to worry about it. I'm still in the "learn the numbers so that you can forget the numbers" stage. I'm perfectly happy to accept that at some point, 1.3-2.6jafi (or whatever) just might be the "right" amount of cash leaving my system based on what I'm trying to do in the world - similar to your point a while ago that, maybe, owning a truck is the actual right move. But I haven't tried hard enough for long enough to be able to say that with any certainty. I prefer the method of going a bit too hard, then easing back to what feels right. Sort of like a BNY - go extreme to habituate a different mindset, then ease off and apply discernment to fine tune it.
--//--
I also wanted to note - I'm not actually mad at Basuragomi. I think Basuragomi is awesome and posted appropriately. I'm more or less impossible to offend, even on the internet, and have a dark sense of humor, so sometimes I can make comments that make it seem like I'm pissed at someone, but I never am. I'm super inspired by Basuragomi's story and have relayed it IRL many times.

I think the discussion about spending levels is really interesting... and I suspect that the number of ERE folk who actually live below ~1jafi is higher than it seems, because
a) This forum seems to exist mostly as a place for those of us either striving to achieve lower spending, or happy with current >1jafi level of spending, and
b) Those who do live off less than 1jafi seem to either be so bored by money they don't post stats about it (JnG, ego?, others), or wander off the forum to do who knows what (tell me! report back!). Also, probably they're concerned about humble-bragging and so just stop posting their stats.

I think it's an important discussion to have, though, because if <1jafi spending is so difficult as evidenced by its rarity, then the "five years to FI" story has a fly in the ointment. I continue to be convinced that super low spending is magic, so I'm really interested in... well, everything about people who are nailing very low expenses. I think there's more to it than just "winning"/achieving the game of low stats, in terms of unlocking qualitatively different mindsets.

Relevant:
jacob wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:35 pm
The stopping too early trap has also been mentioned above.

Someone will choose a lifestyle that requires above minimum annual wage but do nothing for the next 15 years only to find themselves needing to either make serious adjustments of find a way to consistently make $25k/year at age 45 at which point their resume is dated. It would work if they only needed to make $10k/year. Here the world of opportunities is quite a bit larger. But $25k/year is quite a bit smaller. The MEDIAN wage in the US is $27000/year or so!

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I guess I think it is sort of a trivial challenge, because if you are a reasonably healthy, attractive, and frugal female, all you need is maybe two or three skills to barter your way completely out of financial expenses. Second easiest method being saving up enough cash to buy house out of which you can also run small business or rent rooms. The problem is keeping cash flow under 1 Jafi while also meeting other conditions such as “I want to be alone.” or “I need my own fully functioning modern bathroom.” or “I want to be near family and friends in HCOL area.” Etc.

My extended family found it hilarious that I was complaining about having to pay lcol area rent because I can’t make do with a chemical toilet in my “house “ due to my illness.

chenda

Post by chenda »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:48 am
I guess I think it is sort of a trivial challenge, because if you are a reasonably healthy, attractive, and frugal female, all you need is maybe two or three skills to barter your way completely out of financial expenses. Second easiest method being saving up enough cash to buy house out of which you can also run small business or rent rooms. The problem is keeping cash flow under 1 Jafi while also meeting other conditions such as “I want to be alone.” or “I need my own fully functioning modern bathroom.” or “I want to be near family and friends in HCOL area.” Etc.
This is very true. I also think everyone should where possible aspire to consistently increase net worth/passive income over the long term, even if very slowly.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

chenda wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:30 pm
This is very true. I also think everyone should where possible aspire to consistently increase net worth/passive income over the long term, even if very slowly.
Yes! I tend to insist that NW, however faulty the calculation is, measures how much anyone has contributed minus how much anyone has extracted from the human economy. That this is often done at the expense of a non-accounted-for natural economy is another matter.

Within lies a relative and absolute question. Human in relation to other humans. Human in relation to the rest of nature.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

“jacob” wrote: I tend to insist that NW, however faulty the calculation is, measures how much anyone has contributed minus how much anyone has extracted from the human economy
I think this is true in the realm of Orange intersection Gray. Otherwise, not so much. Being the only other human in the room when a man with net worth north of 100 million died absolutely solidified this for me. It’s just a shadow of the belief in something else.

For instance, at level Blue it would be something more like how many people show up at your funeral and what they have to say about you. At level Red, it would be your valor in battle or number of descendants.At level green nature would have to be considered as in almost every Dr. Seuss book. At level yellow some integration of all of these must be somehow considered.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Since September my $ goal was to achieve sub-jafi CoL, which I had as $8,500. Sept-Jan I did indeed spend <1jafi on living expenses, exclusive of capx, and annualizing yearly expenses. The exercise was useful, as it helped me habituate certain behaviors that kept CoL expenses low.

New $ milestone goal: Drop below $10k TTM *Actual* Expenses. I’m currently at about $20k.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

T minus 12 days. The studio is coming together, I'm feeling good about getting it buttoned up before we leave. I spent the last few days making awning-style windows: I order custom size dual pane glazing unit online and build the rest of it. Having an actual window to look out of instead of flapping Tyvek for my morning coffee and writing sessions has been *really* nice. Too bad we're leaving it in a few days.

The glazing units aren't terribly cheap - $250 for a 30"x39" unit. Way cheaper than an equivalent wood-frame window (~$800/window), but way more expensive than a salvaged vinyl window. But... I'm just not putting vinyl windows in my situation. For the south windows we're going to do bottle-wall fenestration, which should be approximately $0. For now they're just boarded up, we'll take a crack at those whenever we get back.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:06 pm
Having an actual window to look out of instead of flapping Tyvek for my morning coffee and writing sessions has been *really* nice. Too bad we're leaving it in a few days.
I think I'm going to put in a request with DW (the resident artist) to make a framed painting that looks like this to hang on the wall just to mess with people's heads :)

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

J-Tree Hygee AF!

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

James Clear wrote:Many situations in life are similar to going on a hike: the view changes once you start walking.

You don't need all the answers right now. New paths will reveal themselves if you have the courage to get started.
This stuck out as describing my experience with ERE so far succinctly. I was wrong about how I thought I'd think once I'd X'd (X = gone to part time; gone to unemployed; WLd up; etc).

Things I thought I'd care about I no longer do. Things I thought were irrelevant or a waste of time I'm now stoked to spend time on.

The takeaway for me here has something to do with a relationship with faith, meaning, once I cross some certain threshold of deciding that Y is the right direction to aim, I can let go to a certain extent with needing to know *exactly* what the destination is going to look like in order to be convinced it's worthwhile.

No faith: I don't know, the trail looks steep and what if the view from the top sucks? I'll stay here at the trailhead or I need to see more Instagram pictures from the top to be convinced.
Alt. No Faith: wait wait, I'm not ready, I have another layer of maps to add to my GPS, and I'm analyzing these five peoples trip reports, and getting the new update from NOAA, and I'm debating whether to have Amazon drone deliver me this new shell which looks three tenths of a gram lighter...

Faith: That one guy said it's a cool trail, and what the hell it's probably better than this parking lot. Good enough for me, let's go.

KRUMPn

Post by KRUMPn »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:22 am
Faith: That one guy said it's a cool trail, and what the hell it's probably better than this parking lot. Good enough for me, let's go.
This feels like the way. As a life long over-analyzer, I think this is a good mindset to temper the temptation to make sure everything lines up perfectly. Tack on the "what's the worst that could happen" sentiment and I think you're golden (as long as it obviously no something way out of your wheelhouse or excessively risky. Probably don't want to slackline the grand canyon on your first go just because that one guy said it was cool).

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Ha, yes, discernment is necessary.

MBBboy

Post by MBBboy »

These last three posts are great. The Alt No Faith example is deadly. There is so much information out there about any particular thing, and so many things that can go wrong / be optimized / wish you had known sooner, that it's very difficult sometimes to just get started.

Some of my MBA friends and I have talked about this at length when it comes to entrepreneurship. Due to the our careers / education / peerset/ compensation / prestige / whatever you want to call it, the bar to start a new company or create a new product is HIGH, because we feel it has to be better off / make more than we make now. If it's not something that's going to make hit unicorn status, doesn't feel like it's worth pursuing. How arrogant / absurd is that?

The path between "idea" and making more than we make now is hazy, and it's a lot of work, no certainty, blah blah blah. And hey, if it's such a great idea, there's NO WAY someone else wouldn't have done it already. We must be missing something.

Meanwhile, we have former classmates / coworkers who have built very successful businesses, and the #1 temptation is to look at it as "right place right time" (we are gracious and respectful enough of these people not to dismiss it as "luck" at least).

I don't have the answer for how to get over it. It's obviously "simple" in that you just have to start. But simple and easy aren't the same thing. I suppose one of the benefits of an ERE transformation is that you create space (both financial and timewise) to lower the bar to trying something new

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

MBBboy wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:15 am
The path between "idea" and making more than we make now is hazy, and it's a lot of work, no certainty, blah blah blah. And hey, if it's such a great idea, there's NO WAY someone else wouldn't have done it already. We must be missing something.

Meanwhile, we have former classmates / coworkers who have built very successful businesses, and the #1 temptation is to look at it as "right place right time" (we are gracious and respectful enough of these people not to dismiss it as "luck" at least).
I have a hard time with this as well, and I wonder if it's an ERE-mindset thing. I see so many products/services that achieve market success and think, "My word, why would anyone need THAT?" I would never even consider it as an idea because it seems so utterly useless. Conversely, I have a friend who is a VERY traditional "consumer" type who loves inventing things. Nothing has taken off yet, but they're all of the type that I could easily see being sold in big box stores. It's hard to participate in the consumer economy when you're an outsider looking in.

How to find a business opportunity that aligns with one's values but is not a simple, unscalable service business? That's a challenge.

ALSO,

Axel, those Death Valley photos look great. We're heading out there next month with my folks for a few nights of camping. Should be fun!