SliceofLife's Intro

Say hello!!
SliceofLife

SliceofLife's Intro

Post by SliceofLife »

Hi all! I am joining the fray here on the forums after about 4-5 months of lurking and having read the ERE book in November.

Basic background:
28/M living in the southern U.S. in a MCOL city with DW (30F) and two cats, married for 3 years and together for almost 9 now. I am not from the U.S. but was recruited to college for athletics (tennis), and now several years later I am about 2/3 of the way through a Ph.D.. My field has fairly good non-academia options post-graduation, although not to the level of CS or Engineering, which seem to be the most common fields around here.

Why am I here?
My main reason for joining is that I think participating here will force me to think more deeply about my motivations for ERE and the non-monetary aspects of implementing ERE, rather than simply rushing towards a FI/FIRE goal with tunnel vision. From my reading of the blog/forum/book in the past several months, the following are key questions to make progress on answering while working towards the basic financial goals:
  • What I am running to?
  • How can I start implementing/living my desired lifestyle before I get to FI status, rather than suddenly trying to become enlightened and happy the day I "retire"?
  • How does being a team with DW alter the goals/strategies/timeline?

Look forward to chatting with everyone around the forum!

mountainFrugal

Re: SliceofLife's Intro

Post by mountainFrugal »

Welcome! I look forward to your team insights.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Welcome to the forum. These sound like some great questions to ponder and explore. Good luck!
SliceofLife wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:31 pm
  • What I am running to?
  • How can I start implementing/living my desired lifestyle before I get to FI status, rather than suddenly trying to become enlightened and happy the day I "retire"?
  • How does being a team with DW alter the goals/strategies/timeline?
Perhaps you may find that walking is suitable as well ;)

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

cat pictures please

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Welcome! I've been noodling about the "Myself + SO" as team perspective lately as well, looking forward to chatting about it.