Jupiter's Intro

Say hello!!
ether

Re: Jupiter's Intro

Post by ether »

*Nice job on entering the job market soon! Not sure how it works in the great white north but I <3 the website dice.com to get tech jobs. You will get harassed by recruiters so much I would encourage you to get a 2nd number to give out on that website.
*People over complicate investing. At the end of the day just read a stock for dummy book and pick a portfolio that matches your risk level from here:
https://portfoliocharts.com/. If you want to make it super auto pilot consider just getting a robo advisor (less work but they will charge more fees vs doing it yourself)
*Money=time. The more you have the more time you can spend doing things you like that aren't profitable. But if you can find something that makes you happy and is profitable that's the best of both worlds.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

ether wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:12 pm
*Nice job on entering the job market...
Thank you ether! Apparently I had the same idea than most young adults had during the beginning of the pandemic. I read somewhere that they observed a boom of the 25-34 yo demographic in investing, probably due to the ''Since I cannot travel to the beach this year, I better do something productive with the extra money...''

I will check for dice.com, and probably try direct applications as well. I also like job fairs, because you can get a taste of the company vibe even before engaging the interview process.
ether wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:12 pm
*Money=time. The more you have the more time you can spend doing things you like that aren't profitable. But if you can find something that makes you happy and is profitable that's the best of both worlds.
Yes! Since my 4-5 days on this forum, I started to perceive that in order to achieve FI, the heart of an aspirant swings between (1) finding a way to make loads of money in a short time and then have all the time in the world, or (2) walking on the usually slower path of the profitable hobby-work while still saving all they can. From what I can see, people choosing the first option have a hard time sticking to it, because it burns (from meaninglessness or overwork/stress) to be in that position. Are there downfalls to option n°2, other than being less time efficient? Also, are there options I have not listed?

And thank you for making me laugh with the meme. I will think of myself as the future Darth lord and succumb to my sociopathic tendencies in order to top the Gervais' Principle pyramid :lol:

white belt

Post by white belt »

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:56 pm
Yes! Since my 4-5 days on this forum, I started to perceive that in order to achieve FI, the heart of an aspirant swings between (1) finding a way to make loads of money in a short time and then have all the time in the world, or (2) walking on the usually slower path of the profitable hobby-work while still saving all they can. From what I can see, people choosing the first option have a hard time sticking to it, because it burns (from meaninglessness or overwork/stress) to be in that position. Are there downfalls to option n°2, other than being less time efficient? Also, are there options I have not listed?
There is much more nuance than that. Have you read the ERE book? I recommend starting there.

I also recommend checking this out for personal finance information specific to Canada: https://www.finiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

white belt wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 pm
Have you read the ERE book?
No, I have not read the ERE book yet. Now I feel like a student who skipped the mandatory class reading and got caught! But it is on my reading list, I will get to this notorious book eventually ^^ Also thank you for the finance information, white belt!

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

@Jupyter

Also, check out artist's take on software jobs (the "Code monkey" song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUbp_d2DkYU

As Jordan Peterson noted, artists often convey thoughts and observations that are too complex to sort out otherwise.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thank you for sharing the song, zbigi! I had never heard it before. It's a nice combination of funny, sweet and sad. Are you also interested in IT and software engineering? I don't think I have seen your journal yet (if you have one). And I am not so familiar with Jordan Peterson's philosophy, but this does make sense, art sometimes has a refreshing outsider look.

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

I've been working in software engineering in various capacities (engineer, tester, architect, analyst, project manager) since 2003. I'm now close to saying goodbye to it forever as I'm already financially independent, but the latest developments (ease of getting a 100% remote job, and the increase in wages) has made me stay a while longer.

I don't see that much value in me having a public journal - I don't think I can convey stuff about me accurately enough so that people's advice and contributions will not miss the mark a lot of the time.

I recommend looking into Jordan Peterson. He's a highly divisive figure, but worth familiarizing oneself with either way. He's perhaps the most influential popular thinker of XXI century.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I am certainly a bit late, but congratulations on achieving your FI, zbigi!
zbigi wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:37 am
I don't see that much value in me having a public journal - I don't think I can convey stuff about me accurately enough so that people's advice and contributions will not miss the mark a lot of the time.
I totally understand that. Conveying a message in order to get the right interpretation from others is very hard. You made me realize that I like to receive advice even though it might be slightly misaligned. I guess I am at the point where it still aliments my thinking, if I can manage to separate what I do want to apply and what is theoretical input.
zbigi wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:37 am
I recommend looking into Jordan Peterson. He's a highly divisive figure, but worth familiarizing oneself with either way. He's perhaps the most influential popular thinker of XXI century.
Thank you! I will look into him.

MeloTheMelon

Post by MeloTheMelon »

University student, currently pursuing a MS in Computer Science
[...]
Dislikes [...] programming
From someone who studied (and now works in) CompSci, I get that feeling. What helped for me was focusing on work that had an impact.
Yes, I don't enjoy coding most of the time, but working towards something I value helps with motivation.
Right now, I'm in the medical field and build systems for nation wide data access for researchers. The programming part is pretty boring most of the time, but getting a notification that our system was used for another research project, that might have an impact on a lot of patient's health is incredible.
Maybe you can also find something like that for yourself.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to your journal / posts

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

MeloTheMelon wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:19 am
Maybe you can also find something like that for yourself.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to your journal / posts
Thank you for the kind thought, MeloTheMelon! I also find when the bigger picture of the work is more meaningful, I get some extra energy that naturally collects from my desire to be helpful. Very nice and friendly colleagues are good motivation too! What are the other interests you are pursuing outside of your work in CS? Do you feel you can balance everything you wish to do in a nice way?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Chris wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:58 pm
On my high school Spanish tests, there'd often be a question about favorite activities, or hobbies, or weekend plans. I'd always list "duermo" first, and the teacher would always mark it wrong! It is an activity, it is my favorite, and it can certainly take the #1 spot.
Your teacher likely may have just marked it off because it's wrong grammatically. Duermo is present state of sleep ( I sleep). But you could use it with other words if sleeping on the weekend was a regular activity (Duermo por mucho tiempo cada fin de semana). If you were talking about the weekend you'd use the future tense: Voy a dormir/dormiré (I'm going to sleep/I will sleep) or if in a list of activities you could use sleep in noun form: el sueño.

MeloTheMelon

Post by MeloTheMelon »

Lately I have been writing a lot and try to get somewhat decent at drawing.
To your second question, nope! I have so many projects and ideas I want to work on, but the full-time job just takes too much time and energy.
I am playing with the idea of going part-time, simply because I don't need to extra income. But on the other hand, my savings rate would drop by a lot...