Jiimmy's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Western Red Cedar

Re: Jiimmy's Journal

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Jiimmy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:30 am
Northbound PCT permit has been attained, with a late April start. Planning to take @WRC’s advice and hike a few weeks on the AZT beforehand. This will give me a chance to make some gear changes if needed, and will also help get my legs in shape a bit prior to the PCT.
That's great - congratulations! You're living out my dream. I didn't know about the AZT but it looks like an awesome trail. I think you'll probably learn some valuable information with the trial hike.

I'm looking forward to following along, though I don't anticipate you will be doing to many updates after hitting the PCT>

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

@Axel That’s so cool! I’ll definitely keep that in mind.

@WRC Yeah, Arizona Trail should work out well. Family in the Phoenix area will be happy to do the pick up/drop off thing. I’ll also be hiking the trail in a great season. Many start northbound mid March.

I’ll do my best to keep the journal updated. I’m planning to keep a written journal/captain’s log during the hike, even if it’s just a few words a day. Maybe I’ll share that here too.

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Exciting times -- less than two months until the 9-5 is left behind.

November
After Tax Income: $4,545
Spending: $1,018
Savings Rate: 78%
Net Worth Change: $225,854 to $224,346 (-$1,508)

Year to date
After Tax Income: $54,740
Spending: $14,598
Savings Rate: 73%
Net Worth Change: $165,589 to $224,346 (+$58,757)

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

An exciting development in the kitchen: a successful sourdough loaf!

I’ve attempted several times in the last 10 years, but the result was always unappetizingly dense.

I don’t know what I did differently this time, but it seems I have a strong culture going after just a week. The dough rose every bit as well as it would with commercial yeast, and the flavor and crust are wonderful.

Next I’ll be trying it out with pizza dough, and also trying a few round loaves in the cast iron skillet.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Nice work! Sourdough is the only bread that doesn't leave me feeling bad after eating it. My DF loves making sourdough pancakes. Maybe something worth trying after the pizza!

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Hey, thanks, that’s a neat idea. May have to give it a shot.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Congrats on the sourdough! My wife has had a culture going for a few years now. We use it for a lot of things--bread, pizza dough, (mostly) thin crackers for use with hummus. Really versatile. I wonder what the difference was this tim0e! Either way, you've got a good tool now at your disposal.

Edit: I see you mentioned the pancakes. That's actually one of the few uses I don't like for sourdough. DW makes a good oat and whole-wheat cake, and I think the SD adds a little too much sour flavor. Tastes may vary!

SECOND EDIT: This is the first time i've read your journal. We've got quite a bit of overlap. I'm a 10 year government employee who's also got a 457 to fall back on, although I do have to pay SS. Sounds like you're a great poker player. I'm only okay, although I've known two great players in my life (a college roommate who could have gone pro, except he had a gambling problem, and a coworker who was a pro for several years until online play became illegal). I never had quite the skill to play (I HATED losing money and could only play limit), but I greatly admire anyone who could.

Western Red Cedar

In terms of sourdough pancakes I've gravitated towards a savory pancake with sauteed garlic and fresh rosemary. You could substitute other herbs based on what you have around. It is a good way to use some of the discard when feeding your starter.

The main problem I ran into was that I don't really want to be eating fried bread too often, even though it is quite tasty :D .

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Happy 2022 to you all!

December
After Tax Income: $4,545
Spending: $886
Savings Rate: 81%
Net Worth Change: $224,346 to $235,137 (+$10,791)

2021 Totals
After Tax Income: $59,285
Spending: $15,485
Savings Rate: 74%
Net Worth Change: $165,589 to $235,137 (+$69,548)

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

The job is in the rearview mirror, and it feels great. The last bits of income will trickle in throughout the month.

Just a few days after the job ended I had a wonderful backpacking + car camping trip with a friend. It was a nice way to celebrate the beginning of this new chapter.

My PCT hike begins in late April, and I'm planning to spend a few weeks on the Arizona Trail beforehand to dial in the gear and get the body and mind used to the concept.

Prior to these hikes, I'll be spending some time with family in Arizona.

The apartment will be vacated at the end of the month, the car will be disposed of soon after, and the things I own that won't go on the trail with me should fit in a duffle bag or two. Looking forward to being home-free and vehicle-free, at least for a while.

Several ways of living appeal to me at the moment, and I'd like to try them all over the next few years/decades:

Backpacking, as a hiker, in the wilderness
Backpacking, as a traveler, very slowly, throughout the world
Living in a vehicle or boat
Living in a home/cabin, at least seasonally, with room to garden and maybe have animals

It's hard to predict the future, but I'd guess each of those options, with my frugality skills, will come with a lower price tag than my current situation, mostly due to eliminating ~9k/year in rent.

Both NW and Spending went the wrong way in January, but no worries here:

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Home-free and car-free now. Gave away most of my stuff, and am left with the equivalent of two duffle bags.

Hanging with family in Arizona for a bit. The family properties are great. Gardening, composting, chickens, diy projects. Also catching some of the nephew’s baseball games in the evenings, fun stuff.

Feb was the final normal month, in terms of income and spending. NW was flat for the month.

Going forward spending should drop way below $1k/mo, income will be zero for the foreseeable future.

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

I hiked 555 miles (70%) of the Arizona Trail over the last month or so. Had a great time. There were so many interesting people on the trail. The gear is sorted and the legs are ready for the PCT, which is just a few days away now.

Wealth is flat over the last several months (~230k) and spending is down. Trailing 12 month spend is at 15k, and will keep on dropping, as rent and car expenses have gone away.

I wonder what the spending will look like during the hike. Hoping for sub 1k/mo, but I could exceed that if I spend several nights in a hotel, or if gear wears out quickly. Food spending will probably double from my typical $200/mo. Oats are cheap, and good on the trail, but most of my other calories will be a bit pricey I imagine.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

This is so awesome. Glad to hear the preparations are going well, and looking forward to hearing updates. Wish I was at home, we'd be able to rendezvous at one of your early resupply points in a month or so.

I'm also quite curious on your trail burn rate. A friend who did the JMT said there was so much extra food at resupplies, she could have sent herself way less. I wonder if there's any way to adapt that into your strategy.

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Hey Axel!

I did have some hiker box luck on the Arizona Trail. I’ll check those first before hitting the grocery store. Not planning to mail myself packages so it might work out well.

I found it challenging to pack the right amount of food. Sometimes, especially in the first two weeks, I just wasn’t very hungry. Then after losing 10 pounds, I was never NOT hungry. I was eating about 4,000 calories a day towards the end, and maintaining my weight.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Smart thinking with doing the AZT beforehand. I bet you got your systems dialed in and you're going to be firing on all cylinders from the start. Keep us updated and post pictures if you can!

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Will do!

Western Red Cedar

Super stoked for you and looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

How much did your pack weigh before the AZT, and what will it weigh for the PCT? Any big insights or lessons learned from doing the AZT that you'll be applying to your future treks?

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Yo WRC!

15lb base weight at the beginning, now around 12lb.

Saved weight by going stoveless, replacing a heavy sleeping pad, and switching to a tarp shelter (which doubles as a rain poncho — the “Gatewood Cape”).

Could save 2lb with a pricey quilt and lighter backpack, but I’m satisfied with the gear for now.

New Opinions/Preferences post-AZT:
1) Hot food and drinks are overrated and not worth the time and effort. Cold soaking is quick, easy, and can be tasty.
2) Cowboy camping is great. Sleeping bag + bug net on the head takes care of any insects.
3) Night hiking with a bright moon is quite enjoyable. And a good way to beat the heat.
4) It’s ok to slow down. If I need ibuprofen two days in a row, then I’m pushing too hard.
5) Proper water planning saves a ton of weight.

MBBboy

Post by MBBboy »

This is very interesting - I've spent a good amount of time in AZ, great place!

Good luck on the PCT - I was going to ask what the next few weeks of prep look like, but just looked a calendar and realized that this month has blurred by. You're probably out there now, lucky dog

Western Red Cedar

Jiimmy wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:23 pm
New Opinions/Preferences post-AZT:
1) Hot food and drinks are overrated and not worth the time and effort. Cold soaking is quick, easy, and can be tasty.
2) Cowboy camping is great. Sleeping bag + bug net on the head takes care of any insects.
3) Night hiking with a bright moon is quite enjoyable. And a good way to beat the heat.
4) It’s ok to slow down. If I need ibuprofen two days in a row, then I’m pushing too hard.
5) Proper water planning saves a ton of weight.
Lovely insights. Thanks for sharing! I'm always intrigued by how experienced thru-hikers shed weight. I tend to be a bit conservative in how much I carry, even in something like water weight which can make a big difference. You've inspired me to think more carefully about my kit and approach to continue trying to optimize weight.