Paris

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Jin+Guice

Paris

Post by Jin+Guice »

Barring any corona complications, I'm going to Paris with my girlfriend in January for a week. Does anyone live in or want to meet up in Paris (I should have dates in the next week)?

Does anyone have any ERE or non-ERE recommendations of things to do in Paris?

Cheers y'all!

Ego

Re: Paris

Post by Ego »

The first Sunday of the month the Louvre, Musée Rodin, Musée Picasso and Musée d'Orsay are all free.

The Paris Flea at Saint-Ouen is expensive. The Puces de Vanves is better for real people selling real junk, if you like that kind of thing. The kilo stores can be good for buying interesting second hand clothing.

Use the metro. We just bought individual tickets rather than a pass.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I'm a few hours away from Paris, I your plan include some travel around europe, I'de be happy to meet up and offer you a place to stay, altough it's going to be brutally cold in january.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Paris is an ideal place to embrace your inner flaneur.* DW and I spent hours happily wandering around the city soaking up the architecture and the energy of different neighborhoods. We were there in the summer so it was easier to rest in parks or hang out outside, but I imagine the City will be quite beautiful in January. You can easily pop into a cafe for coffee to warm up, and it is culturally appropriate to hang out for hours.

One of our favorite days was when we went to Montmarte so DW could peruse thrift stores for a vintage Parisian dress. I wasn't that into it, but picked up a long-running hobby of photographing street art while she was thrifting. Montmarte is beautiful and you can check out the views from Sacre Coeur (free). It was pretty cool just wandering around and seeing scenes from famous paintings - We saw Monet's St. Lazare Train Station for free at London's National Gallery then wandered by it on our walk to Montmarte a couple days later.

As a musician, I'm guessing you might enjoy seeing an underground music show or some live music. You could probably find a cheap punk or hip hop show without too much trouble.

One thing that was really interesting, but arguably embodies the antithesis of ERE, was a visit to Versailles. You can take the metro out there. The palace was quite crowded and mind-boggling in its display of wealth. I'm kind of a history nerd so it was a must see. Our favorite part though, was taking a few hours to wander through the garden and check out the re-creation of a working farm that Marie Antoinette had created. I'm not sure what the gardens and farms would look like in the winter though.

I think all churches offer free entrance in France, so that is something to keep in mind.

*Flâneur is a French term meaning 'stroller' or 'loafer' used by nineteenth-century French poet Charles Baudelaire to identify an observer of modern urban life.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Lived in Paris for 7 years of my life, and have one of my best friends still living there so if you need any support last minute feel free to ping me via PM.
Things outside of the basic touristic stuff.

1/ visit the Sainte Chapelle. It’s Paris hidden gem in my opinion.
2/ best museums IMO are the Centre Pompidou (museum of modern art, probably my favorite world wide, better than MoMa) and Musée D’Orsay (impressionist).
3/ take the Bateau Mouche near the Eiffel Tower to see Paris from a different angle. Get the Bateau Mouche and not the others as they are much more expensive
4/ Paris can be dangerous so keep that in mind. It’s not NYC. You have to be aware of your surroundings even in the city center especially after 10pm
5/ Walk. Paris has beautiful corners that you will find only by walking around and getting lost.
6/ underrated small area for a drink is Butte Aux Cailles. Two streets, a few bars and bistro but real nice
7/ if you want a real Paris Bistro experience, go to Chez Paul in Rue Charonne. Best dishes are the Tartare (raw seasoned beef) and the Rabbit with cheese and mint
https://goo.gl/maps/jX3mdTHmsa7BJib59

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Thanks for all of the recommendations everyone! I'm in Paris now (leaving Saturday) if anyone is around and wants to hang out.