Going card free?

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Jean

Re: Going card free?

Post by Jean »

Where is it illégal to use cash to buy a car?

JollyScot

Post by JollyScot »

I started to switch back to using cash wherever possible. Partly to get rid of the ease of just spending when out and partly because I don't like the general direction of the digitisation of everything with no alternatives.

I use the credit card for any large purchases or any online purchases and when in person I will use cash. If I can buy it easily in person then I will do that instead of online.

Aware a lot of people are happy with the convience of the centralised systems. However the path of a digital only currency does not fill me with much confidence so I will make the switch where I can. Probably pointless against the mass of those who are not interested. However thinking that way would mean no one making a stand on anything.

So far the only issue I have had a couple of very small places (vans/trucks) that seem to be card only and then some of the larger companies that don't accept cash now. Generally they couldn't refuse cash if they did not explicitly say so in advance. So there are a lot more upfront signs of no cash.

Our discretionary spend has come down since making the switch. We never had much anyway so it is mostly paying for our food at this point.

Taxes
Energy
Property Fees

Not possible in cash without large penalty extra costs.

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

Around here a lot of places don’t accept cash anymore (“we’re a cash free store”). And a lot of transportation options require mobile payment/an app. The places that accept cash often relegate it to 1-2 checkout lines and if you want a larger sum refunded in cash you might have to call the store a day in advance. We’re long tech, complexity and centralization, this has been true for over a century now.

I like the convenience and the overview of my spending but I worry about the lack of resilience (there are ransomware attacks/sabotage by hostile entities every now and again that take down some of these systems, so it isn’t speculation, even if the magnitude has been limited so far).

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

Jean wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:04 am
Nowhere in the US, although a seller can refuse it.

Transactions over $10k with a financial institution requite a Currency Transaction Report to be filed. Private parties are free to exchange any amount of cash at any time for any reason without hindrance.

WFJ

Post by WFJ »

Jean wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:04 am

Try buying a car with cash and you will find out the difference between "legal" and "possible". I've worked for several dealerships (another incredible flexible always hiring job) and none of the large corporate run dealerships will accept cash. Rent, Hotels, air travel (I'm sure there are several others as I'm not a complex consumer) where cash is either discouraged or made so difficult, nobody can complete the process. This is in essence what happens at car dealerships where the reporting requirements are so onerous that nobody can qualify to use cash. I know of one "cash buyer" that was a con and was found before titles were transferred.

Roark

Post by Roark »

steveo73 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:08 pm
I use crypto to buy marijuana but the transactions costs are way too high. I'd go so far to call crypto an absolute joke atm. Sure there is benefit in buying drugs or in speculating but I think the transaction costs are stupid.
Even a regular on chain transaction with Boomercoin (Bitcoin) is cheaper than paying Western Union when I'm buying from my suppliers in China. With Lightning you can transact in Bitcoin for free. I prefer people who accept Monero when I can find them, and the fees are very low considering the privacy you're getting.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Roark wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:21 pm
Even a regular on chain transaction with Boomercoin (Bitcoin) is cheaper than paying Western Union when I'm buying from my suppliers in China. With Lightning you can transact in Bitcoin for free. I prefer people who accept Monero when I can find them, and the fees are very low considering the privacy you're getting.
Good post.

I have noticed the fees have been lower recently but I've been caught sending money to the DW. I should add that being caught is like getting caught downloading shows. They say don't do it and you say no problems and work out how not to get caught again.

I haven't gone into Monero though. Bitcoin works for my 2-3 times per year I buy stuff on the DW.

I'm still skeptical about crytocurrencies. I love the idea. I don't like the implementations so far.

I don't use my card now basically at all. I use Apple pay. My phone is an iPhone 6 and to me it's great but it's outdated now and I wonder when I'll have to update my phone.

loutfard

Post by loutfard »

Three free cards here:
- a debit card against our common account as a couple
- a free monthly settlement credit card, or whatever you call that thing
- a debit card against a personal account. rarely used.

Belgium is relatively cheap for day-to-day banking. Hardly any credit card bonus games possible though.

Anesau

Post by Anesau »

A card makes sense for a good amount of things, but one situation where it feels like you pretty much have to use cash is in dumb tipping situations. [U.S.]

If you pay with card, a lot of vendors seem to have an automatic screen that pops up that gives you the "choice" between 20%, 25%, and 30% tips. Probably there's a super small-text button on the screen to skip, but the tipping screen works on me because I find the entire experience unpleasant and want to just be done with the transaction. When paying with cash, you actually choose whether/how much to tip. Plus it feels more likely to be going to the actual worker instead of just being part of your transaction with the company.

I'm okay with tipping at places that provide service, but the expectation that someone who spent a minute making me an overpriced coffee (with literally only drip coffee and milk) get an extra $1.50 for it seems way too much.

Usually I can just avoid the places that have the tipping screen, but if I go, I now take cash.