What should I pack in my hostel kitchen kit?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Laura Ingalls

What should I pack in my hostel kitchen kit?

Post by Laura Ingalls »

DH and I are going to our lovely 50th state in January. We can check two bags and have access to a hostel kitchen. I have some ideas on what to bring but would take any advice others have.

Granola bars
Rice
Nuts?
Lentils?
Oil
Mayo
Mustard
Coffee
Peanut butter
Vodka
Rum
Tea
Furkaki

chenda

Re: What should I pack in my hostel kitchen kit?

Post by chenda »

Disinfectant ;)

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Salt, pepper, curry powder, and chili powder can all be bought in bulk, partitioned into small containers and be used in various ratios (along with oil) to cook and flavor many dishes. The hostel might have salt and pepper already?

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

C'mon, you have to tell us what state.

Mine was Wyoming, in 2003.

You're taking this stuff on a plane? Any reason you can't buy it there? Usually those kinds of places have spices, condiments and other miscellaneous dry goods left behind by previous tenants.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Not our individual 50th state, but the 50th state to enter the union. Maui to be specific. We are flying.

I still have about a dozen left; DH has Alaska and South Carolina left.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Congratulations! Sounds like fun.

I love staying in hostels but a few of my pet peeves...

Hostel kitchens always seem to have garlic impregnated wooden cutting boards or worse, glass cutting boards (wtf!). One of these thin flexible plastic boards takes up no room at all.

Dull knives drive me crazy. We always have our own. I once owned a Ryback folding chef's knife that I bought for a fairly reasonable sum. I had to sell it when I realized they were selling on ebay for crazy prices. I now have a simple Boker folding chef knife. It's okay. Some day I will find the perfect travel chef knife.

Sealable plastic containers if you plan to make lunch in the morning and picnic while out and about. Also plates. We like the original version of the Orikaso folding plates with snaps as they fold flat in a pack.

Hostels often have one countertop water boiling kettle and the wait can be long during the busy time. We like to have an insulated water bottle that I fill with boiling water when I get up early in the morning.

A super-light zippered bag like the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Duffle can be useful as a shopping bag that doubles as a food storage cube in the shared hostel refrigerator. It's amazing how something as simple as a zippered bag can keep the late night munchie thief from stealing your grub.

I could go on. Over the years I may have given this subject a little too much thought.