M2aS’ Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
DutchGirl

Re: M2aS’ Journal

Post by DutchGirl »

Grocery bills are looking good! By the way, on one hand I would think that a vegetarian/vegan diet would be cheaper than one with meat, because meat is expensive. On the other hand, processed meat and fastfood is *not* expensive, so in that sense buying quality ingredients for your vegan/vegetarian meals can be more expensive than buying the cheapest meals in the grocery store and/or in the drivethrough.

I had my own experience being told that what I deeply wanted was wrong and would not be welcomed by society. I've also had my own experience of finding acceptance anyway. My, what a blessing! So I'm sure your daughter is very glad about your love and acceptance of who she is/who she loves to be.

So for you the countdown has started - 10 more months, and a few days, to go now... awesome! And so you'll hopefully retire into a beautiful summer next year. Something to look forward to I bet...

Married2aSwabian

Post by Married2aSwabian »

Thanks for the kind words @DutchGirl! Yes, looking forward to next summer for sure. I’ll probably stress out a little too much about being ready between now and then, but writing it and saying to some folks makes it seem more real. ;)

Yes, our daughter’s health and happiness is a primary concern - she seems to be doing great lately. So glad that your own journey for inner peace and acceptance has been a fulfilling one. ;)

I’m going a bit crazy, but our daughter’s doing well! :lol:

In the interest of saving money, while still realizing our dreams of travel, including camping, hiking and backpacking, we decided on a used Honda Odyssey minivan. This is in place of the overpriced Sprinter RV we had been thinking of for some years and are now (due to Covid) in v high demand and way out of the budget. We got a Honda minivan last Friday: 2010 in great shape, 132,000 miles with lots of extras and runs great. Price was $9800. We may build this out as a DIY RV down the road.

What’s driving me crazy are the people we bought it from, in addition to a few mistakes on my part. We met late last Friday at their bank to exchange the car and title for the cashiers check. We signed over the title, but overlooked the bank lien notice on it. A new title cannot be issued until we have proof from their bank that it’s paid in full, which they claim was in 2012.

They claim to be sloppy with paperwork and lost the letter from bank … also they managed to lose the second key, so we only got one (new chip key will be about $180). They wouldn’t take my calls late yesterday and stopped returning texts after 4:00pm. It felt like a scam, so we drove to their house to verify that they even live there and meet in person to resolve it. The two previous meetings to look at and test drive the car happened in a public place.

They were agitated that we stopped by and could produce no letter from the bank.

Today they emailed that the bank can send the letter by next Wed and we should meet at sec of state on Sept. 2. It’s not possible to email or fax these docs anymore due to fraud.

That would make almost two weeks of owning a car we cannot drive or title. I countered that they should have the lien release FedEx’d to our house direct by this Fri. and then everything will be resolved. We’ll see, still no reply. We think it will be OK, but there is of course a possibility that these are people in financial trouble and getting ready to declare bankruptcy.

I’m ready to join Jacob and other higher WL EREers with bike-only lifestyle and screw the cars - they are a money pit!

This is one of my favorite YouTube videos of past few months (anyone still reading? … I love that line!):

https://youtu.be/aVuUX32PYEI

I’m afraid I won’t live to see the day in the US (at least not in Michigan!) that we adopt the bicycle at this level here.

Married2aSwabian

Last edited by Married2aSwabian on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Married2aSwabian

Note to self: move up retirement date to end of April now (7 months).

Work not fun lately.
Last edited by Married2aSwabian on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Married2aSwabian wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:48 am
Our forms are the most holy of all things sacred at this company.
Oooohhhhmmmmm....

I hope you're still meditating, M2aS, because you're going to need it, at least for the next seven months or so.

Married2aSwabian

DutchGirl wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:05 pm
Oooohhhhmmmmm....

I hope you're still meditating, M2aS, because you're going to need it, at least for the next seven months or so.
Yeah, that’s for sure. :lol:
It’s a lot easier to take the crazy shit with a grain of salt when the countdown has begun, though!
I’ll just keep subtracting a week or so, every time something aggravating happens.

Married2aSwabian

Last edited by Married2aSwabian on Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Married2aSwabian

Happy 50th!

One of my all time favs:

https://youtu.be/YkgkThdzX-8

Married2aSwabian

Last edited by Married2aSwabian on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Married2aSwabian wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:11 am
Happy 50th!

One of my all time favs:

https://youtu.be/YkgkThdzX-8
I watched a documentary a couple years ago about that album - https://www.netflix.com/title/81069255. I'm also a big fan. There was a point after playing Imagine for Yoko for the first time where John asks earnestly whether she thought it was good enough to make it on the album :lol: . She said something like, uhh...yes.

Married2aSwabian

Thanks, WRC - will have to check out that documentary.

Hey everybody, just a general note: reading Barron’s this morning and we’re all going to have to reconsider this retirement thing!

Retiring Early Is Looking Easier. Here’s How to Do It With No Regrets.

Retirement Realism

“Advisors are worried that the bull market and reduced spending during the pandemic among those who retired early by choice may have skewed their perspective on retirement readiness. They recommend a dose of realism

There’s an exaggerated financial optimism happening right now,” says Sharon Oberlander, managing director and wealth management advisor at Merrill Lynch. “Bills that were $15,000 a month may be $6,000 to $8,000 during the pandemic, but people don’t think about all the things they will want to do when they can. It’s a bit of a fantasy [that] we don’t spend any money.” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was feeling kinda down in the dumps that we’re stuck somewhere around WL 5 until I read that!

Which WL includes $15,000 a month spending?? Midtown Manhattan WL?

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

Renting a modest class-A office space for your family office, of course.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Don't forget the monthly plastic surgeon refresh!

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

Married2aSwabian wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:19 am
“Advisors are worried that the bull market and reduced spending during the pandemic among those who retired early by choice may have skewed their perspective on retirement readiness. They recommend a dose of realism

There’s an exaggerated financial optimism happening right now,” says Sharon Oberlander, managing director and wealth management advisor at Merrill Lynch. “Bills that were $15,000 a month may be $6,000 to $8,000 during the pandemic, but people don’t think about all the things they will want to do when they can. It’s a bit of a fantasy [that] we don’t spend any money.” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess that just shows how out of touch such advisors are. If such advisors know so little of the real world, people should think twice about listening to their "advice".

Married2aSwabian

radamfi wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:21 am
I guess that just shows how out of touch such advisors are. If such advisors know so little of the real world, people should think twice about listening to their "advice".
For sure, the big investment banks and their mouthpiece publications want to ensure that the “middle class” keeps diligently over consuming on borrowed $. Jacob’s post today (from 10/10/10) is a perfect description.
I should cancel my subscription, but once in a while there’s a good tip in there.

Married2aSwabian

We’ll, it’s been a very stressful past couple of weeks and I will wait until later to do detailed expenses for Oct.

The biggest worry has been my dad having to have emergency surgery (again) for a partial intestinal blockage. At 80, the recovery is obviously slower than before, but it looks like he’s turned the corner and will be released from hospital early next week. ;) I fly out to PNW tomorrow to see him and help as he comes home for the week. Lots of emotions.

…when you add to that a boss who has an EQ of about -100, it makes me very thankful we have the nest egg and FU money set aside. I actually have two bosses, due to international company: one in Germany and one in US. The US boss has been great. The German guy is in way over his head. After I told him Tues morning that my dad just had serious emergency surgery and we’re very worried and I need to go out there, he said, “of course, family comes first…hey, while I have you on the line, how’s it going with project such and such.” …when I was worried my dad wouldn’t make it through the week! Since we’ve never even met in person, I guess I can’t expect anything more. On top of that, there’s a reorg happening by year end, so he’s worried about his ass.

Like DutchGirl advised previously …5 months to go - Ohhhhhhhhmmmmmmm.

I’ve been meditating nearly every day and it seems to be kind of like learning a new language or even ERE: at first (last year for me) you learn a lot and make a great deal of progress, but after a while the tendency is to plateau, with progress coming less frequently.

The book I’ve been reading lately is “The Wise Heart” by Jack Kornfield. He is an amazing person, who happens to have a PhD in psychology and studied as a Buddhist monk in SE Asia. He offers an abundance of insight on how we can free ourselves from suffering brought about by our own incessant, often unhealthy thought patterns.

Here is an excerpt about trusting our true nature, from novelist Barbara Kingsolver’s “High Tide in Tucson”:

Every one of us is called upon, perhaps many times, to start a new life. A frightening diagnosis, a marriage, a move, loss of a job or a limb or a loved one, a graduation, bringing a new baby home: it’s impossible to think at first how all this will be possible. Eventually, what moves it all forward is the subterranean ebb and flow of being alive among the living.

In my own worst seasons I've come back from the colorless world of despair by forcing myself to look hard, for a long time, at a single glorious thing: a flame of red geranium outside my bedroom window. And then another: my daughter in a yellow dress. And another: the perfect outline of a full, dark sphere behind the crescent moon. Until I learned to be in love with my life again. Like a stroke victim retraining new parts of the brain to grasp lost skills, I have taught myself joy, over and over again
Last edited by Married2aSwabian on Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

I hope your dad recovers and that you can spend some quality time with him. Good work on the meditation. It is a great method to deal with the workplace stress. Keep it up.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

Married2aSwabian wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:12 am
In my own worst seasons I've come back from the colorless world of despair by forcing myself to look hard, for a long time, at a single glorious thing: a flame of red geranium outside my bedroom window....
Truly seeing something as it is rather than through the fog of stress and emotion is always available to us and always refills the cup.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Congrats on the meditation :)

Married2aSwabian

Last edited by Married2aSwabian on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.