Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Where are you and where are you going?
zbigi

Re: Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Post by zbigi »

I was eyeing a alternative career path in geo-related stuff about 5 years ago (it was mostly a daydreaming exercise to stave off boredom from chosen path, I guess). From what I recall reading back then, the oil industry is extremely cyclical. When I was investigating it, it was currently in a bust, and, for example, only open positions for geophysicts required at least 10 (preferably 15+) years of experience. While, from what I've gathered, during boom times it was very easy to get in, and experiences people were swimming in money.

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

If anything my experience has been the polar opposite for getting into the industry. Everyone runs away from the extractive industries. Over half of my cohort has left the field entirely for finance jobs, and most of the remainder took lower pay to live in a city instead of in a mining district. Only about 10% still work on site, and every miner is scrambling to get them. With boomers now retiring and commodities far from apoapsis, the demand for people willing to live in the middle of nowhere has been the highest I've seen since the last cycle peak. The exploration side is still very dead, though.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

OCT 2021

I've been working with a mining company in NV earning $350/day minus all expenses for 20 days. This role is not remote.

-------------

I have 2 job offers:

1. GIS ANALYST: A permanently remote GIS Analyst role with a geology company @ $20/hr for 40 hours/week.
2. CORE LOGGER GEO: A core logging job in a tiny town 2 hours from a major city @$300/day for 20 day sets. Obviously not remote.

My guess is to go with the GIS Analyst role because being able to live/travel where I want is priceless. I'm also way more likely to continue to be remote as a GIS person than as a Field Geologist. As I rise in the ranks, I can earn more too, such as Senior GIS Analyst.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by TopHatFox on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Is the second job 20 days and done? Can you do that and then take the GIS analyst job after?

$20/hr is not terrible, but it is not great considering your schooling. How are the benefits with either gig?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I'm not 100% sure yet, but let's say both are ongoing for 6 months with the possibility for renewal. Benefits are 401K, health, dental, vision, vacation, etc.

I tried arguing for more than $20/hr, but they said it's out of budget. I guess I can use this GIS Analyst role to get the next one?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I've worked as a core logger. Take the GIS job, you will never want to log core again after 5 days. But if you are able to do the 20 days core logging and take the other job I'd do that for the additional experience. Feel free to text me if you want to hear more about my experience.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

theanimal - wazaaaaa. Okay, that's what I was thinking. GIS has more flexibility as a field, and I can more easily make a podcast/YT series about it. I can also learn more lucrative skills too, like Lidar, Python, drone imaging, etc.

Still curious if I'm not throwing away a lucrative gateway opportunity as a mining geologist, but I'll keep mulling it over for the next few days.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

If I could pick a field to be in for the next 10 years outside of biotech, it would be mining. Purely based on macro factors- I have no day to day experience in mining.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

TopHatFox wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 pm
$20/hr
Forsooth, if it makes you feel any better, my hourly wages without considering travel time is $2.39/hr which falls to $1.7/hour if you factor in the travel time.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Why so low, not USD?

2Birds1Stone

~

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Median monthly salary in India is ~$400 USD/month.

Thanks to working from home, and putting in more or less half time hours in a FT role, I'm blessed with $100/hr gross pay.

I would jump in with both feet and once you're trained and have some experience parlay into higher and higher paying gigs.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Makes sense, so sounds like the consensus is the remote GIS role > Core Logging and remote GIS career > mining career

I’d agree, so gonna take it & see what happens.

———-

NEW THOUGHTS

I was thinking, now that I have a remote job, I have so many more choices to make. I’ve explored the US and I confirmed that the west is preferred, but I’ve yet to really explore other countries en masse. I can literally live anywhere with an internet connection now.

I also know for certain I don’t want kids or marriage, but the pretty gf of almost 2 yrs wants a “forever cohabitation relationship,” and I’m not sure I want that with anyone.

I do think I’ve concluded that I more or less always want to do some sort of work forever. Not working is depressing af. I definitely don’t want it to be corporate simp work, but always doing some sort of work is healthy.

Finally, I know I don’t want to continue living with the parents in FL, but I don’t make that much yet at $20/hr to live on my own in a US city. The job and my skill set is not at a high level yet. I also need to get my own car.

In short, I need more experience. It may very well make sense to start living in different countries soon. I think having a remote job and some savings effectively makes you FI. Some actionable choices:

1. Continue living with parents and saving everything until job is solidified while keeping relationship

2. Leave relationship and travel around LCOL countries that pique interest while having new relationships

3. Either way, start a podcast/YT/website using GIS so I can always get a new remote GIS job or self-employ

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

I wish you best of luck no matter your decision. Choosing between 1 and 2 is hard.

Make sure you can work outside the US for your job though. You might have already checked that, but make sure,

However, if I may suggest places to see that are LCOL (at least in Europe):

1) Georgia (Country): LCOL and digital nomad friendly.

2) Latvia: Cheap, good airport to see the world, and an underrated country imo. I consider my home country away from home.

3) Czechia (Beautiful country, central location so you can see a lot of Europe).

?) Lithuania: Never been there but Lithuanian's are much like Latvians, except more introverted.

Estonia is getting expensive and honestly kind of dull so I suggest against going there.

Also for South America, there is always Panama.

C40

Post by C40 »

If your remote work becomes secure long-term, I recommend number 2.

Will you have meetings and stuff during the normal US work day? If not, think about going to Asia.

As an example, I was living in Vietnam for 1.5 years recently and loved it. I spent about 10,000/year while living well and splurging on numerous things. And I preferred living there over anywhere in the U.S. There are some tricky things, IMO the main challenges/drawbacks are:
- visas and residency. If you like to bounce around a bit between countries, that stuff isn't a problem.
- Weather can also be tricky and takes enduring a few months per year of VERY rainy weather, or, bouncing around a bit as the rain seasonality is very regional there and on different patterns for different places
- Air pollution. It's really bad in the largest cities. Living in a medium sized city in certain areas helps a lot. Probably some of the islands are really clean at least for parts of the year. And there are other ways to reduce your exposure like making a filter for your home

I should list some good things:
- VERY low cost of rent, food, transportation, and anything that is labor intensive
- Really great weather for much/most of the year
- interesting cities and history... beautiful land and beaches..
- the women are far better looking on average than the U.S.
- very easy to make friends, very easy to date and start relationships (though things like non-monogamy are less common there)

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

C40 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:51 am
- If your remote work becomes secure long-term, I recommend number 2.
- the women are far better looking on average than the U.S.
- very easy to make friends, very easy to date and start relationships (though things like non-monogamy are less common there)
What was it like breaking up with you LT girlfriend? It feels pretty bad to make a pretty girl that loves you cry profusely, even if one was honest that they don't want marriage or kids from the start. :c

I agree, the women of the US are almost all overweight, tatted up excessively, or already have kids from another relationship. Even a good portion of the teens or girls in their 20's are overweight. They're also not that nice in my experience.

My brother instilled fear in me that it's hard to find wi-fi while working remotely, that living in Asia is extreme, and that I'm an A-hole for considering leaving my GF. I need to stop talking to him, or at least asking him for advice.

Is it easy to do short relationship-type arrangements - like for a few months or a year? I don't think I'm ready to settle down yet, but dating in the US is a lot of work for poor returns, so it makes staying in an LTR worth it.

---------------

The mining recruiter said that the jobs pay exceptionally well, and that there are 3:

1. Core Logger in remote town 2 hours from major city for 3-6 mo: $300-500/day + accommodations
2. Core Logger in remote town 2 hours from major city for 4 mo: $350-450/day + accommodations
3. Core Logger in remote town 3 hours from major city for 4 mo: $350-450/day + accommodations

I still think remote makes more sense long, long-term, but damn -- that is A LOT of money.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Trust me, you do not want to be a core logger. The work is extremely monotonous and at many extractive industry sites (mining, oil etc) people are just doing it for the money, meaning nobody really wants to be there. It's a lot of money but you will likely be working 12 hrs a day doing the same basic things each and every day, have strict regulations on your time not working while there(ie not being able to go anywhere), and likely be very remote. The novelty wears off very fast. This is coming from someone who enjoys very remote environments and working long days. Turnover is very high and there are very few people who last more than a year. It's not high paying because it's fun. More so because it sucks and you work a ton.

That being said, if you have a goal in mind and a strong vision you wish to achieve for this additional cash then it can be worth it. The work is easy and working in the core shack tends to be a younger group of people, so it's not too hard to make friends and chat. It's generally not hard to stand out as a "good" worker in these jobs if you show up, do what's asked of you with competence and take initiative. Many of these mining companies contract out the core logging (sounds like your setup) and if you impress you can often move up to a more permanent position. Especially so if you have a geology degree. During my time working there were a handful of core loggers that were promoted to permanent geologists at the mine. Many of the permanent workers fell into the golden handcuffs/luxury trap. People I worked with would fly to NYC for their week off, spend $1500/night at some clubs and return back to replenish their "savings." Others would buy new pickups, boats and 4 wheelers that seemed to obviously go unused. In the core shack there was a TV that showed news from the company, each month it'd congratulate someone on being there for 5, 10, 15 years..I always thought that was sad. Most of the people hated being there, but spent 3/4 of their year working/living there. Trapped on the wheel..

Where I worked we were able to have an earbud in while working, so I was able to listen to audiobooks and podcasts which made it a lot more tolerable. I spent nearly all my time off the clock (~4 hrs/day) working out and reading books. I had a really strong vision and did it to save up money to get my pilot's license. I quit after 2.5 months. If you are just doing it for the money with no real goal, I would very strongly advise against doing it. Especially since you have another job offer.

Regarding the wi-fi. The US is nowhere near the top of countries for internet speeds. Don't listen to your brother, there are plenty of places outside the US with faster or just as fast internet as here
Last edited by theanimal on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Thanks theanimal, that takes the sheen off the temptation. I try to assume if they're paying you a ton, it's miserable. I think the real way forward is just to become super skilled in GIS/coding, commanding a higher wage over time. I keep meaning to text/call, will soon.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

LUL.

American internet is shit. living in Asia is not that bad depending on where you live, and your brother sounds much more traditional than you.

Go for remote work. Listen to the @theanimal.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

remote work remote work<3

It's so nice having cool internet friends lol. Okay, fuck core logging, GIS + skilling up + SE Asia or Eastern Europe eventually all the way.

Happy with choice even after seeing $$$ of mining roles, now to hope that the remote job/career path is stable.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

TopHatFox wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:27 pm
It feels pretty bad to make a pretty girl that loves you cry profusely…
Indeed it does. It feels worse to wake up one morning and realize that you’ve wasted years of two people’s lives because it hurts to make a pretty girl cry. Ask me how I know.

I don’t know what you have to do, but I recommend you do it.