3 yrs to FI: ertyu's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
2Birds1Stone

Re: 3 yrs to FI: ertyu's journal

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Congrats on the gig (preemptively). That's really solid pay. Will this be an in office m-f gig? Where does this take you geographically? Be as vague as you wish. =P

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ertyu wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:04 am
I have already said this, but being a gastarbeiter is how i get to live abroad, and I am definitely not willing to call it quits and live in my home town for the rest of my life, so I am happy with the chance to work again. That's how I get to move.
this sounds great. i absolutely sympathize. wishing you much success.
ertyu wrote:

- Have been making coffee at home rather than spending multiples more at physical coffee shops. Corona and places being closed has helped; the magnificent balcony I have which overlooks almost the entire town has helped, too.
nice. which coffee making method do you like best?

also
ertyu wrote:
The need to work smart is paramount.
you have several months to prepare, which is a great opportunity.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Great news, @ertyu! Being aware helps to maintain your wins and shift the other areas.

BTW Katy Bowman also did a podcast by the same name (Move Your DNA) for several years. Another good read regarding sugar and the addictiveness of processed foods is Michael Moss’s “Hooked.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Fingers crossed for the paperwork not to be an obstacle and yes, take it easy!

What continent are you heading to?

Dave

Post by Dave »

Good stuff ertyu. Best of luck in this new endeavor, and I hope everything leading up to it goes smoothly.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

If you still have another few months before starting new job, now's the time to conquer diet & exercise. It's both easier to do now when you have time and energy, and will also benefit you by reducing stress from work.

What's the plan for the flat?

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Congratulations on the job! I am hopeful that you have learned some valuable lessons at previous jobs that will set you up for success this time round! It took me a long time before I could figure out how to be happy while working full time.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Crusader wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 am
Congratulations on the job! I am hopeful that you have learned some valuable lessons at previous jobs that will set you up for success this time round! It took me a long time before I could figure out how to be happy while working full time.
any tips?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ertyu wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 am
any tips?
ik question was not for me, but i read once (and have witnessed irl) that it's hard to be fired if you're liked, even if your work output is not the best.

i am aware some environments are difficult/toxic, but not all are.

if you can manage to be a good pal and win approval of the bosses you're pretty much safe unless they're forced to have layoffs.

yes, this means signing birthday cards, attending the occasional happy hour, congratulating the office mate for their wasteful new purchase instead of lecturing them about their wastefulness, taking smiling selfies with the coworkers, making sports related small talk (or joining the d&d group, depending), fitting cultural norms that don't violate your personal integrity, etc.

distance regulation is crucial here: get close, but not too close that gets you entangled into unwanted situations--a balancing act.

i'd suggest also reading erving goffman's "the presentation of self in everyday life" which is an old classic and widely available. also, "how to lose friends and alienate people"... no, i mean, the other one :lol: which is perhaps "too american" and to some seems a bit sociopathic, but it might still provide a useful point of view about the realities of social existence and getting along.

Crusader

Post by Crusader »

ertyu wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 am
any tips?
I can confirm what Alphaville said about being liked. Not just being liked but trying to be an overall team player so that you try to be helpful and useful whenever you can. I am in the IT world, like you, I believe, and I have seen some pretty average people thrive, just because they are pleasant to work with and they give the appearance of trying, being modest and working hard.

But, I don't know what your particular issues were, everyone is different. For me, imposter syndrome was strong, I also have/had trouble focusing and just got very frustrated with everything that didn't work. Over time and with experience, I kind of slowly and surely worked on my issues. Being introspective, being aware of your thought patterns, the usual CBT/REBT stuff. I also try to be grateful for what I have (a job and some sense of community) as I fall into depressive spirals very easily if I am not careful.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, for better or worse, it's actually more productive to get a grip on social flow than work flow. For instance, I was in management at same level as a woman who ran circles around me in terms of getting stuff done, but she would on occasion flame out in anger or tears in proximity of upper level or staff. So, she who cheerfully read gardening magazines on company time was promoted first.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Alphaville wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 am

i'd suggest also reading erving goffman's "the presentation of self in everyday life" which is an old classic and widely available.
thanks for the reminder! I did a presentation on the book in my undergrad but completely forgot about it.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Congrats on the new job!

Frita

Post by Frita »

Congrats, @ertyu, I know this is something you’ve been working towards in order to pad out your ERE fund. I sincerely hope you land in a functional environment. Life is easier when being liked means behaving within one’s moral code.

My two cents to add to others’ advice would be to maintain a work-life balance. Take care of yourself. Find some small “luxuries” to routinely enjoy that are not dependent upon money, your work, etc. Think about what keeps you mentally, emotionally, physically (and spiritually, if you’re into that) healthy. Ponder what sets you in the opposite trajectory in those domains. Craft a routine accordingly.

CDR

Post by CDR »

Congrats on the new gig @ertyu!

Egg

Post by Egg »

Belated congrats. Nailed it, my man.

Frita

Post by Frita »

I hope all is well. Any updates on your condo renovation, new job, and/or life?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Hope you're doing ok, ertyu.

Pop in an let us know you're alive at least ;)

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

What's up ertyu? Wishing you well and hoping things are okay with the big life transition!

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Eastern European crew, how do you do? :lol: