Stoa Presentation: A Systems Approach To Resilient Lifestyle Design

Questions and comments
Solvent

Re: Stoa Presentation: A Systems Approach To Resilient Lifestyle Design

Post by Solvent »

I just got around to watching the presentation. Thought it was great. I particularly liked that it didn't focus on the 'retirement' or 'build enough wealth to live off dividends' threads.

A few people upthread noted the brilliance of the 'spectrum' diagram with the peaks and troughs showing yield and waste. It's probably unnecessary but I also wanted to reinforce that this is such a great diagram and way of illustrating the concept. I know that after coming across it in the ERE book I have discussed it either directly or just the concept with others. I think it's really powerful.

Also, the presentation of some starting experiments or windows into the lifestyle (the buy nothing year, etc.) worked well. It's not quite as reductive as a list of tips and tricks but it is probably a reasonable way to get interested people thinking differently.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Thank you for this video Jacob.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Great presentation. I found the Time/Individual vs. Space/Social graph especially interesting. I think if you expand Social to include Nature then it really just becomes a matter of where you are directing your attention or how you are constructing the boundaries of your model. For example, I think of the time when I was considering expanding my micro-business by importing wooden toys made in China. Thanks to the internet I could actually see photographs of the mostly female factory workers who would be making the toys. So, this would have been something in between cottage production round the kitchen table with my kids and a couple part time employees vs socially distant equity investment.

Another example would be maybe I see myself as self-reliant in sweetener production, but this is only possible due to social relationship I developed with bees. Or you could conceive of Individual Net Worth as something like Acreage Boundaried by Contract/Fence X Electrical Outlet or Tree/Acre.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

peterlimberg wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:08 pm
A lot of socially-oriented temperaments that Jacob refers to have an allergy to power and do not consider power dynamics when jumping into groups, hence they do not talk about it
Power dynamics is on my short list of things to study next. In my gut, I feel like I'm largely blind to/ woefully unaware of them. Does anyone have a good resource on power dynamics?

I think that community building and social skills are a weak point in ERE. This community, almost definitionally, attracts people who are individualistic and self-reliant. We are also largely under-social-skilled nerds. Skilled influencers are able to inhabit the mental world of those they are trying to persuade, understand their motivation and what they are capable of and tailor the message towards them. It requires being people instead of knowledge focused (or being knowledgeable about individual people or able to quickly map them into social-type-bins).

Having a community goal requires the ability to put forth ideas while relinquishing attachment to a specific way of executing them (or attachment to them at all, if and when the community rejects them) and embracing others' motivations, which are often largely emotional/ socially driven/ different from your own. This requires high EQ and social intelligence.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Jin+Guice wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 am
YES

Frita

Post by Frita »

Also, there are healthy and unhealthy power dynamics. Sometimes assumptions in power dynamics are incorrect. For example, another person/organization may assume they have the upper hand and can be dishonest, unethical. In reality, I have the ability to walk away (however, heavy the decision) and a hidden power advantage. ERE capitalizes on this in a good way.

Personally, I want to be interdependent with people who are functional on their own. It’s because together we build something different. If it’s to be better, each needs to bring something to the table and behave in a reasonable, ethical way. This explains why being with people who are too many levels (Kohlberg, Wheaten, Kegan, etc.) is often frustrating and, at best, amusing. Think about where mainstream society and its inhabitants function.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Jin+Guice wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 am
Does anyone have a good resource on power dynamics?
My ex?

Greene's 48 laws of power is mostly entertaining, I'm not sure how much usefulness can be gotten out of it. I enjoy the audiobook version on long drives.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

The Dictator's Handbook has been pretty good at explaining a useful model that explains how leaders think about which actions to take to stay in power.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

rather than delve into the works of machiavelli et figli i'd recommend a more "american" approach to social dynamics, which is... sales.

knowing how to sell instead of how to oppress others with force is an advancement in the history of civilization.

sales can appear, at times, yes, a little manipulative, but in optimal circumstances you're getting affirmative consent and a win/win type solution for all parties.

not that i'm any good at sales, but i can, some times, with desire and concentrated effort, achive such outcomes when necessary. and it can be exhausting too, but worth it when it counts. i wish it came to me more naturally.

"how to win friends and influence people" might be a good place to start. yes it's old and it has its problems, but being a classic in the field of interpersonal relations with complete strangers it will be a point of reference for anything that followed... just like machiavelli.

btw, machiavelli's "the prince" basically concludes with the need to have an escape hatch to flee from one's victorious enemies... not the way you want to live your life. :D

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Cialdini's Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion is another classic in line with Alpha's point.