The next big thing

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
chenda

Re: The next big thing

Post by chenda »

Haha...It is a friendly place, pleasantly old fashioned in some ways and very laid back.
Last edited by chenda on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

luckeeeeee

and you have an irish passport yes?

you've got it made...

Ego

Post by Ego »

theanimal wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:38 pm
What is your definition of fuck-you citizenship?
Investors hedge with uncorrelated assets. Fuck-you citizenships would be uncorrelated as well. Uncorrelated with what? There are many different possibilities. I have a few thoughts but this one has been on my mind quite a bit lately.....

A few weeks ago C40 mentioned in his journal how much he is bothered by the obesity epidemic in the US and how different it is in Vietnam. We had a similar experience after spending a year in Asia in 2007-8. It was shocking to return to the U.S. Obesity is a very obvious outward signal that something is seriously wrong.

After being away for a year in 2019 we returned this time and realized just how bad the American psychological epidemic has become. We are in a place (state, country) where many if not most of the people we encounter on a daily basis have some diagnosed psychological conditions. They take strong prescription medications to simply get through the day. While it was once noticeable in subtle ways, it is now obvious and everywhere.

Much of this change is driven by our therapy culture and the medicalization of every aspect of normal human life. We are seeing a shift to privileging emotion over reason. Those with psychological issues are more vulnerable to mass hysteria and as we've seen, when that happens it can affects everyone and everything.

That is one factor I'd like to hedge. There are others.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Ego wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 pm
Much of this change is driven by our therapy culture
hah! if only! our culture is driven by dysfunction and addiction and denial and wishful thinking.

we need more therapy, not less. ;)

chenda

Post by chenda »

@alphaville, yes I was extremely lucky to be able to get that. Are you are looking to move abroad for a while, I think you are currently in the South West ?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

yes, the southwest. it's beautiful, it's comfortable, it's got nature... but it's boring. people are too similar! :lol:

i don't mind this place as a retreat--but one can't retreat forever. i need more... action? (culturally speaking)

we have to stay in the usa for now, and new york has every international flavor, so... thinking about it :D

chenda

Post by chenda »

Cool, I travelled through that region many years ago I liked the desert out there : )

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

yeah it's a nice desert to look at. but then you want to change the channel :lol:

haha, well, we have our cabin here, and family, and we can always visit, and we might end up here in old age anyway, so it's nice to have roots. but we get restless and need to explore...

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

5G continued growth is something like predicted 25% CAGR this decade + any company getting on 6G (my own bias shining through here as I've half of my tIRA on Nokia...its at a good price point now).