Greetings from Denver - Just retired military, married late & five kiddos

Say hello!!
lgdelvalle

Greetings from Denver - Just retired military, married late & five kiddos

Post by lgdelvalle »

Hi!

I read Jacob's book years ago when I started on this FI journey and it was priceless. I recommend his book to all who ask me about FI.

My situation is bit different. With a dual career in the military and M&A in the energy sector provided a different perspective on FI. For example, I married very late (couldn't find a woman crazy enough to marry me) and have been blessed with five adorable little monsters, one in Heaven, and another due in Mar. Due to my wife's natural frugality, better than mine, growing up in semi-rural Minnesota, the expense of our blessings have not been the economic catastrophe that some people would believe. And, we send our children to parochial school and have done hybrid homeschooling.

I look forward to learning from this forum and contributing to it's utility. Speaking of utility and learning skills as mentioned in Jacob's book, this aspect of his book will be more prescient due to the lockdown and those to come - rolling lockdowns will be our fate in the near future. Therefore, my recommendation is always be in the best physical condition possible, no debt (I've change my view on renting as it was invaluable for attaining FI) and learn skills. There is mention by some people of attempting to be a Renaissance Man, but what I recommend is being a man of High Middle Ages.

Good luck to everyone on their lifelong journey.

Servium,
Luis

The Old Man

Re: Greetings from Denver - Just retired military, married late & five kiddos

Post by The Old Man »

lgdelvalle wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 pm
There is mention by some people of attempting to be a Renaissance Man, but what I recommend is being a man of High Middle Ages.
Welcome!

OK, you got me. What is the difference between the Renaissance Ideal and the High Middle Ages?

lgdelvalle

Post by lgdelvalle »

Hi TOM,
It's a bit complicated and we are getting ready to go to the a "bouncy house" for the kiddos.

Now, I'm looking through mainly through a military prism/Catholicism. The High Middle Ages was before the Protestant Reformation and a period of tremendous growth in science, art, architecture, literature, and agriculture with relative "peace" throughout Europe. Just one data point - look at the cathedrals that were built during this timeframe. The High Middle Ages is now what's viewed as part of the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages was coined after the Reformation to denigrate Catholicism. Conversely, the Renaissance was a period in which Europe was in constant turmoil. Yes, tremendous scientific advances were made during this period but the human suffering was brutal. Anyway, the High Middle Ages is getting is rightful due.

TOM I'd like to mention more but my little monsters are going apoplectic about going to the bouncy house so I'll end here. Just do a bit of research and you'll get a more in depth perspective about the High Middle Ages.
Servium,
Luis

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Hi Igdelvalle, welcome! I too am interested in your thoughts on being a man of the High Middle Ages - I'm currently on a mission to unearth as many different narratives/archetypes as I can, in order to seed my imagination with multiple alternatives to consumer culture.

The point of adopting the Renaissance Ideal is to develop oneself broadly, which has a whole host of benefits enumerated in the book. I'm passingly familiar with history before and after the Reformation - is your idea that HMA individuals also mastered broad topics? Or that one should endeavor to be a part of something grander, part of an organization with a common vision/worldview that can in aggregate accomplish broad goals?

lgdelvalle

Post by lgdelvalle »

Hi Axel,

Yes, the need to be proficient in a broad range of topics and attempt to master one them - a lifelong pursuit. It's more than just attaining FIRE. Are you a person that people would want in a difficulty situation that cannot be solved immediately with money? I'm not talking zombie apocalypse but in instances such a natural disaster.

As a recommendation, first be in good physical condition. Look up the Marine Corps' height and weight standards. Then, ensure to perform some type of daily exercise - a twenty minute brisk walk/day is a must. Also, start becoming handy with tools.

Again, as a recommendation, rotate your tires and change the oil of your vehicle. However, don't forgo a good deal. Here's an example - when I lived in Houston, I bought some tires for my Jeep and therefore had unlimited free tire rotation. Of course I stopped rotating my tires. Having attained FIRE, I'd call the tire store and when I wouldn't have to wait, I'd show up get my tires rotated and then be on my way.

Then, we moved to Montana. Bought another set of tires but rotation was $10. So, I went back and started rotating my tires and put the $10 saved in a "tool" fund. With the money I'd save, I bought a quality tool - Made in USA breaker bar.

Now, we are in Denver so I still get my tires rotated for free. Once again, I start the $10 tool fund.

Hope this helps - oh, and become a voracious reader of biographies, history both economic and military, and travel. When I think of the prototype of the HMA man, look at the knight in Piazza Walther - appropriately dressed, his sword at his side, and holding a 13th century version of a violin - very inspirational.

Serviam

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Thanks for the response, I think I'm picking up what you're putting down. Essentially, for various reasons, the Renaissance Ideal doesn't particularly resonate with you as it represents an attack on a strong identity for you. The HMA man does resonate - so you're going with that. I like the flexibility there. I've recently realized that the Renaissance Ideal doesn't resonate strongly with me because I think they wore tights and fruffy collars. I'm no sartorialist but that just doesn't attract me. So I'm in the process of assembling a mental picture / role model / etc that does resonate strongly with me.