white belt

Re: ERE Blog post: Ecological capitalism and consumer capitalism

Post by white belt »

@the_platypus

Sounds like the Amish.

the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

@white belt, yes it could be close to them, in some respects. But with the Amish, I think for most people there is a reflexive judgment of inferiority, weirdness, or backwardness. No culture is a perfect example, but other cultures may have much we can learn from.

Obviously, what is really important in life (what makes a culture successful) is, to my mind, sustainability and happiness. People (not necessarily you) who scoff at the Amish may need a more broad, cross-cultural education. Perhaps, if one were to study the Ladakh, the San, the Hadza, the Okinawans, the Sardinians, the Aran Islanders, etc, etc, etc ... one would come to the realization of ... the aberration/evolutionary mismatch of modern culture ... the broad conditions under which human happiness is attainable ... the need for technology to be at the "human" level ... the need for people to be generalists with a variety of work ... the need for movement/sun/community/etc.

Basically, these data points serve to create a counter narrative to the Myth of Progress. Having this knowledge could allow one to break free of their feelings of superiority. This would allow one to truly see the value and joy of these cultures (they are, by many accounts, genuinely happier than people in the West). And, therefore, there'd be reason to learn from them and implement their broadly egalitarian, sustainable practices.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

@Jacob, are you finding that book useful? I recently read Grain By Grain https://www.amazon.com/Grain-Quest-Revi ... 216&sr=1-1, and it was very inspiring, though a little short on how others might make a similar difference in their own community.

I guess I'm following the latter path you noted and hoping to bring others in but not get bogged down in 'community' bs. My initial attempt to increase local food resiliency is in its infancy so too soon to say if it will work. My idea, from a local farmer, is to work on building a local mill. Seems really ambitious but I'm curious to see where it goes. I think the next few steps are gathering information from other mills and seeing if any local wheat farmers are interested. Will report back if there's anything to share.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

@mooretrees - TBH I didn't find its solution space tremendously overlapping with my own proposed solution space. (I don't think local food is a 100% solution. In particular, I think it's a highly risky proposition as the continual local famines over the centuries would suggest.)

It was interesting to see the backstory of the movement. I traveled in some of the same circles pre-ERE and I recognize many of the names from 20 years ago.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Thanks, likely won't buy it as my local library doesn't stock it. Also, your listing of the steps is likely enough to get one started. I'm finding personal stories of change inspiring, but not always pertinent to a different location. I don't think local foods are "THE ANSWER" either, but it is interesting to think about ways to increase my and my valley's local food.