Hello from Hong Kong 🇭🇰

Say hello!!
Rags2Freedom

Hello from Hong Kong 🇭🇰

Post by Rags2Freedom »

Hello All,

Belated Happy New Year.

Well I wish I found this forum sooner! A lot of mistakes could of been avoided along with forum contribution to hopefully help others.

Firstly, I’m a Hong Kong based expat (anyone else here from HK? ) 34 yo with long term wife (not fugal but has certainly improved), one beautiful 18 month daughter and another landing in 6 months. Loved having children and are hoping for a large family of 4 children. Have worked for the same company for 15 years (since leaving education) job is safe , location could change in 18-24 months.

I’ve been a MMM reader for 4-5 years and following the investment / frugality self help journey I’ve managed to build a decent nest egg of ($515k USD or £377 GBP - presume USD is preferred on this forum?)

Unfortunately this last year has been my worst personal saving year to date (meaning - spending is way high!) . Coincidentally, it’s also been my biggest nest egg contribution ever (crazy markets and increase salary the reasons)

I’m going to start a blog at the end of the month to capture my progress and to add a layer of accountability to my current terrible spending . (Unfortunately some aspects I’m stuck with for the foreseeable - RIDICULOUS EMBARRASSING HOME RENT CONTRACT for another 9 months)

Look forward to interacting with you all and I hope I can contribute to this forum and offer another point of view. At the very least I have SE Asia living experience and vast travel which could be helpful to others.

Final note - I’m certainly not the typical ERE / frugal person (atm) however I will be trying all I can going forward.

LEANfire = 4-5 years
FATfire = 6-8 years

Above permitting working arrangements remain as is and markets are kind !

Seppia

Re: Hello from Hong Kong 🇭🇰

Post by Seppia »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I just moved to HK a couple months ago, I live in TKO and work on the island, hit me up via PM if you want to meet for lunch sometime.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Welcome to the boards. If you can get your hands on a copy of the ERE book (even digital) I strongly recommend giving it an earnest read. It could provide insights and spin the mental wheels in the right direction.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Seppia wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:19 am
hit me up via PM if you want to meet for lunch sometime.
He just joined. I'm pretty sure you have to be a member for length of time before that feature is enabled.

Ohh, and hi @Rags2Freedom.

Rags2Freedom

Post by Rags2Freedom »

@seppia YES! Awesome to hear your in HK.

Won’t ask too much here better saved for in person.

Unsure how to contact you directly like @DoF mentioned I’m still in the “limited contact” phase of ERE forums.

Presume posting a email address or phone number isn’t wise either.

(Oh and hi back @DoF)
Last edited by Rags2Freedom on Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rags2Freedom

Post by Rags2Freedom »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:41 am
Welcome to the boards. If you can get your hands on a copy of the ERE book (even digital) I strongly recommend giving it an earnest read. It could provide insights and spin the mental wheels in the right direction.
Hi @2b1s

Downloaded it on kindle this morning , 30% through it already.

Look forward to sharing the views / thoughts soon.

Hope your well

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I’ve sent you a PM with means to contact me. Hopefully you’ll get it. :)