Share your recipes

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
davtheram12

Re: Share your recipes

Post by davtheram12 »

Pressure cooker beans

Ingredients: 3 cups raw pinto beans
6 cups of water
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 dried bay leaves
1 small quartered onion
(stem, root and skin removed)
4 whole raw garlic cloves
(skin removed)
3 Tbsp canola oil

Directions: 1. Sift through beans, remove any old/funky/dirty beans and loose rocks.
2. Place beans in pressure cooker (lid off) and cover with water (enough to just cover the beans). Boil beans for 5 minutes. Discard water.
3. With the beans still in the pressure cooker, cover with 6 cups of water and add the remaining ingredients.
4. Bring mixture to a boil, with lid on, and set the pressure cooker to 15 p.s.i..
5. Once the pressure has been hit, bring the flame to low (while maintaining 15 psi pressure) and set timer for 40 minutes.
6. Once the timer is up, run entire pressure cooker under cold water until the pressure has equalized.
7. Remove lid and enjoy the pinto beans.

I fine tuned this recipe after years of just eyeballing the ingredients. The beans make for a killer refried bean burrito. I'll share my flour tortilla recipe in my next post.
Last edited by davtheram12 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

You left out the jalapenos.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i “invented” (not really i guess) a fast dessert this week:

in a small cup, fill 2tbsp roasted peanuts, 1tbsp pumpkin seeds, add a squirt of honey to make it all sticky, toss with a teaspoon, top with salt flakes (i like maldon)

goes *great* with coffee

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

@Hristo:

Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe

I made this recipe since I hate the "scald milk" and "until it coats a spoon" directions people typically publish. I included actual temperatures instead for easy reference.

This recipe can be made without an ice cream churn. Ice cream churns work by constantly scraping a rapid freezing surface to keep ice crystals small and the product smooth. This function can be replicated by using an insulating surface (plastic tub face) to reduce freezing rate and intermittently scraping ice crystals off and into the melt. Or churning it outdoors in Canadian winter.

Yield: 1.5 litres ice cream

Equipment:
  • Flat-bottomed heavy pan
  • 2x mixing bowls
  • Hand mixer
  • Ice-cream tubs - I use 750 mL yogurt tubs
  • Scrapers
  • Ladle
  • Funnel that fits tubs
  • Measuring cups and spoons
Ingredients:
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 2 cups milk (2%)
  • 2 cups cold heavy cream (18%)
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Mix-ins (e.g. cinnamon, coconut, chocolate)
Directions:
  • Separate egg yolks and place in mixing bowl.
  • Warm milk in a smooth pan on medium heat until 90°C then remove from heat source. Skim off milk skin.
  • While milk is warming, beat egg yolks with sugar and salt until pale yellow and very thick, 3-5 minutes.
  • Add milk to egg mixture in 1/4 cup increments to avoid curdling. Whisk/mix by hand to minimize foam formation.
  • Return mixture to pan. Heat mixture to 80°C on low heat while stirring and scraping constantly.
  • Pour mixture into mixing bowl and stir in heavy cream and vanilla.
  • Chill custard mixture in water bath or fridge until 5°C.
  • Pour custard into tubs, filling 2/3rds full to account for overrun.
  • Add in any mix-ins.
  • Place tubs in freezer.
  • Using hand mixer, thoroughly churn custard every 30 minutes and return to freezer. The frozen phase will form around the outer faces of the tub so be sure to scrape all tub faces.
  • Mix more frequently as ice cream gets slushier.
  • When fully slushy (or sick of mixing), place in freezer and freeze for 8 hours or until -10°C.
  • Alternatively, churn with traditional ice-salt method

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I experimented in a number of things while isolated (bored) in quarantine.
I have tried to dive a bit into the Asian tastes/flavors, but did so without a recipe book nor any experience, so some things were hit and miss.
I'll just post the hits :)

Fist I decided to try make dashi (I followed th erecipe for this).
The process is super easy and Dashi is the base of japanese cuisine.
You'll just need some giant kelp (konbu)and some bonito flakes (hana-katsuo)

Put some kelp in cold water and heat slowly, trying to reach a boil in 20 mins or so.
Right before the water boils, take the kelp out, add 1/2 glass of cold water, add the bonito flakes, and bring back to a boil, this time as fast as you can.
As soon as it boils, take off the heat, let rest 1 minute and filter.

This is the result:

The recipe called for 40g kelp and 30g bonito flakes for 1 liter of water, but I personally found the result to be too strong so I diluted it with another liter of water.
If I'll do it again I'll keep the 40g kelp but us half the flakes or less.

The first way I used th edashi was as a base to give flavors to some leftover random veggies I had around.
I used a carrot and a pepper, added a half glass of dashi, a touch of Mirin sauce and let cook for 15 mins with a lid on.

When the carrots were almost cooked, I added a half lettuce, raised the flame and sautée everything.

Took that off the flame

cooked some chicken in teh leftover liquid

Mixed everything together on high flame to remove excess liquid

Then served wit some marinated soft eggs (boil eggs soft, marinate overnight in the fridge in a mix of water, some soy sauce and a teaspoon of sugar.)

Marinated eggs (the ones served in Ramen) are easy to do and very versatile.

Add a couple to some white rice and few spices and you have a healthy lunch:

Or mix a leftover one with some avocado for a great bagel toast:

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Referencing this:
jacob wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:49 am
Hotdog/burger buns: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipe ... uns-recipe (stopped at the first one)
Tortillas: https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/flour-tortillas/ (tried several, this is the best)
What about a pita recipe? Anyone have a good one? Soft and fluffy and delicious out of the oven.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Seppia wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:39 am
I'll just post the hits :)
haha! those look great. i’ve never used bonito flakes but now i want to (i do use kombu).

suomalainen wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:40 pm
What about a pita recipe? Anyone have a good one? Soft and fluffy and delicious out of the oven.
i don’t know how to make pitas, but i make flatbreads, sorta similar, but mine don’t quite split in the middle—chapatis do. but chapatis are not pitas either... :(

lmk if you want the flatbread thing, it’s pretty standard,

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Today, I made this soup in the "cut up all the things and boil them with salt and water" method and it turned out v good:

About 100-150g of lentils (what was left over in the half kilo lentil bag, which was approx 1/4 of the bag)
Ditto brown rice (put all that was left in the bag, approx equal amount to lentils)
1 small to medium head of onion
1 carrot (not a huge one)
3 potatoes (that's how many i grabbed at the store, unsure of weight)
500g mushrooms. this weight i know because the mushrooms were in a beautiful package and it said on the package
one green pepper
one red pepper which turned out to be only mildly chilly which was the best
a liberal dash of all 3 types of dry spices I have (I believe savoury, parsley, and basil)
Salt (as much as you would put on a pot of soup, I usually eyeball this).

Boil until stuff is boiled. Put in bowl, add olive oil, stir and eat.

Delicious.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ertyu wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:10 am
Delicious.
i can see that in the seasoning! gread blend of aromatics and seasoning, and mushrooms add a beautiful umami.

making my mouth water and stomach growl hahahahahaaa.

all i have in my belly right now is a small cup of tasty tasty cocoa and i’m waiting for the lady to make flatbreads. then we’ll eat with black beans, roasted green chile, and eggs.

but those lentils! i got lentils but need to find me some mushrooms...

MUSHROOOOOOMS

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Today is a terrible weather day, so I took advantage of it to cook.
I did two northern italian specialties, the first one I went by the book, while I deviated quite a bit from standards in the second one.

Sweet and sour baby onions

These make for a great antipasti.
Peel the bably onions, sautee them 5 mins on mid heat with some butter.
Add two teaspoons of cane sugar
Add two/three tablespoons of vinegar
Add a couple bay leaves
Stir and sautee for another two three mins
add half a cupof water, cover with a lid and let go till you like the texture (with firm onions it takes about 1 hour to make them nice and soft), adding water so that the onions are always half submerged.
When desired texture is reached, open the lid and raise the heat to reduce the sauce.
Add salt to your taste
Voilà

Spezzatino di vitello

This is basically a stew, that we keep semi-humid as we usually eat this with polenta or boiled rice.
There are tons of recipes for veal spezzatino ("spezzato" means "broken in pieces"), but this one is usually done with rabbit.
Veal and beef stews call for the use of some wine and hearthy flavors such as mushrooms, cloves, gineper berries, resemary and bay leaves.
Rabbit and white meat are generally the ones you use with this kind of recipes.

Chop the veal (use a semi-lean cut such as shoulder) in large bites (1.5 inch cubes minimum), and sautee with butter, a bit of fresh garlic.
toss a bit of flour that will add some nice brown color to the meat and will work as a thickener during cooking.
Add carrots, half a can of tomatoes, capers and olives.
Now the key here is to buy great (I mean GREAT) quality capers and olives. Capers can be those preserved in salt or in oil, but NEVER use those in brine.
olives that will work best are olives preserved in oil, but the black baked ones will work as well. Again NEVER use thos in brine.
add a cup of water and cook on low heat till at the desired texture, then put heat on high and reduce the sauce.
Total process will take 2-2.5 hours
I usually do this in a pressure cooker, as it cuts cooking time at 50 mins

Biscuits and Gravy

Post by Biscuits and Gravy »

I’ve been making a lot of hash recently. This was my most recent and best tasting:

Small Dice:
Half yellow onion
One medium sweet potato
Two medium russet potatoes

Three tbsp olive oil in large heavy skillet.
Medium high heat, when oil is hot add diced onion and two cloves minced garlic. Sauté until garlic is fragrant.
Add potatoes, couple shakes of chili powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to coat and sauté.
Best if you don’t stir a bunch. I haven’t timed this. I sauté until potatoes are starting to caramelize a bit.
Once potatoes are cooked through and slightly caramelized, add a handful of spinach (I had some freezer burned spinach I added just to get rid of) and sauté until water cooks off spinach and it is wilted and incorporated.

Portion out into bowls. Add feta and freshly chopped tomato. Bacon or kielbasa would prolly go well with this, but I like it all veg.

plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

This is a Recipe than an uncle of mine uses for venison skewers (speedies). I use it on skirt steak and put it on the grill and the fattiness of the steak just absorbs all of the flavors. It's a taste explosion; so very delicious.

 1.5 cup oil
 ¾ cup soy sauce
 ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
 ½ cup wine vinegar
 ½ tsp parsley
 1 tbsp garlic powder
 ½ cup lemon juice
 ½ tbsp black pepper
 ½ tbsp red pepper
 1 tbsp liquid smoke

Ego

Post by Ego »

A friend bought the contents of an entire Italian restaurant. He has to have everything out by the end of the month so he was giving away a lot of the food. I gave him $3 for this batch. Seven pound cans of kidney and garbanzo beans. A 3lb bag of crushed chili. A 5 kilo bag of organic pearled farro.

Recipe anyone?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

eat the garbanzos cold with a shake of red wine vinegar a glug of olive oil and a dash of red chili, depending how hot. maybe some red onions, sliced thin, rinsed with salt water, or some mashed garlic? chunks of fresh tomato? sundried would also work out of season. some herbs, maybe some parsley or basil? bit of anchovy? eat with some crusty bread and a glass of wine.

i kinda hate red kidney beans, except for the small red bean, which is softer. but they're often used for "chili" which, would be "chili beans" (the original texas chili has no beans, much less red ones). so, anyway, chili beans. recipes abound.

farro i've never cooked but being a wheat thing combines well with beans for "complete protein" as they say.

so maybe just make well-seasoned chili beans and eat them over plain farro? scoop of sour cream and a beer? that would be my instinct.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Ego you are going to have crushed red pepper the rest of your life :lol: I would smaller bags of it away to all my friends and enemies too.

I find chickpeas ultra versatile. Hummus, chan masala, chickpea burgers/patties.

Farro acts a lot like barley. I guess I would probably use it in soups or as a base in a grain bowl. The Turkish cookbook I have checked out of the library had with squash both winter and zucchini, a stuffing for grape leaves, in a lamb stew, in pilaf.

The only dish I use kidney beans in would be chili. I am with Alphaville edible but definitely not a favorite.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

You can use Farro as an alternative to barley, using the same barley soup recipe I posted earlier.
I’ll post a recipe for the beans.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Thanks folks. Mrs. Ego is going to use the farro to make something along the lines of Seppia's risotto recipe from a few pages back, but with nutritional yeast as an alternative to parmesan. We already have a bunch of uncooked garbanzos and red beans, both of which we eat all the time. The trouble with these cans is their size. Once opened we are going to have to eat an awful lot of one type of bean or freeze them. It may make sense to hold onto the can of garbanzos until we have a party (next winter?) and make a ton of hummus as Laura Ingalls suggested.

He will have another load tomorrow morning which he will be "selling" (pay whatever you want) so I may have a fully stocked bomb shelter soon. He had giant bags full of tomato sauce, white pasta sauce, Heinz ketchup and boxes full of various pastas. We generally try to make sauces from scratch and eat whole grain pastas so I didn't take any of those.

_bb_

Post by _bb_ »

Veggie burgers

Makes about 12 patties

Materials:
-> Bell peppers (2)
-> Sweet potatoes (about 3)
-> Onion (1)
-> Lentils (about 2 cups)
-> Italian bread crumbs*
-> ground pepper
-> chili flakes and/or chili powder (if you're naughty)
-> flour (maybe)

-> finely chop the peppers, onion, and garlic
-> cube the sweet potatoes, incredibly light drizzle of olive oil
-> sweet potatoes go in the oven at 425 for about 20 minutes
-> lentils go in a pot with water, bring to a boil, then simmer about 15 minutes; when done, drain as much moisture as possible
-> saute the peppers & onions, toss in the garlic once the onions start turning translucent

-> Once everything is cooked, it all gets dumped into a pot or mixing bowl and then go to town, mash everything up.
-> As the vegetables are getting mashed start sprinkling the bread crumbs in - enough bread crumbs and little additions of flour so the materials start clumping together. You should be able to form patties that hold their shape and just barely stick to your hand as you make them.

->Make a bunch of patties, put wax paper in between them, toss them in the freezer for later. Or throw the patties on a pan** and get both sides nice and crispy.

* If your bread crumb mix doesn't have salt you'll probably want to add some.
** I've never tried them on a grill, I imagine these ones would fall apart.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

For the beans:

Sautee a couple scallions in olive oil (make a soffritto as described multiple times here).
Add 2-3 leaves of fresh sage, a splash of red wine.
Add 1lb of canned beans (drain them from excess water first), cook 5 mins.
Add a can of peeled tomatoes, some red pepper and cook for about 30 mins until the excess liquid is almost all gone and you have a sort of ratatouille texture.
Add salt to taste and a bit of olive oil.

The original recipe would call for a tiny bit of pancetta to be sautéed with the scallions, so if you have a substitute feel free to add it.

I did this a couple days ago with a bit of sausage instead of pancetta and using cannellini beans but this image should give you an idea of the end result

https://ibb.co/JyHT8xc

white belt

Post by white belt »

What are some good recipes and methods that incorporate soybeans? I’m making my first steps in replacing animal protein in a meal with something plant based. I’d like to start with soybeans instead of something more processed like tofu.

Do I just treat them like other legumes and incorporate them into recipes that use beans?