Applying window putty?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
ertyu

Applying window putty?

Post by ertyu »

Many how-tos on youtube but few touch on whether the surfaces need to be prepped in any way. My question is this: if i'm puttying old windows, does it matter if the windows have been painted first or not? My windows are wooden and need old paint stripped, followed by a wood filler (+ linseed oil after??) and then repainting. The putty is also completely dry and has crumbled off completely for long stretches. I will not be able to undertake a full painting job until spring weather allows, but I might be able to putty during the afternoon on a good weather day. I think I should putty asap so moisture doesn't get into the wood and so the glass doesn't fall out. Can I putty before repainting? Let's say I scrape out the old putty, sand the wood surface, then clean the glass with rubbing alcohol or some such? Would this be fine? Putty seems to be inexpensive so I am fine if it turns out I need to redo the job come spring time, but still, if possible I'd rather do as good a job as I can the first time around.

Youtube also says putty takes around 2 weeks to fully cure and harden. Would a sudden drop in temperature before the 2 weeks are up ruin the job?

Thanks

Riggerjack

Re: Applying window putty?

Post by Riggerjack »

I'm not a glazier, but I have puttied a few windows. The putties I have worked with were all oil based.

This means the surfaces you are bonding need to be clean and dry. Not dry to the touch, but dry.

How you accomplish that is up to you. But dry at application is vital.

So, since it's November, what I would do, is buy the putty (be sure the container will reseal well) and use some to just patch up what you have. Fill any gaps and cracks. The putty will cure, and possibly crack again, so a coat of paint if weather allows would be good. You just need it to last the winter.

Then, next summer, do the work with nature on your side. I rarely say just patch it, but this is something that I would patch and deal with when the weather is nice.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Makes sense. Patch now, worry about redoing well later it is.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I had to perform this task fairly often when I owned a big old house, and I am exactly the sort of person who often recommends “Just patch it.”, so I agree with RJ.

aptruncata

Post by aptruncata »

It would depend on the condition of the window sills, budget and time you have.
For a window that is on its last leg, you can use a dab or tube of liquid nail (exterior use) and paint over it after curing.
($3.00) for a tube, water and weather resistant worked quite well for my needs.