Frugal painting

Favorite quotations, etc.
Bludger

Post by Bludger »

I haven't painted since high school, but I would like to start again. However, art supplies are ridiculously overpriced. Any tips for doing it frugally?

AnneBentham

Post by AnneBentham »

I've given and received lots of art supplies through freecycle and craigslist.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Make your own canvas, it isn't that hard and the materials can be bought cheap (cotton or linnen, wood, nails). Look into alternative carriers like hardboard that can be obtained from dumped items. Also, take good care of your brushes: never leave them on the hairs in the water, always reshape them directly after use. Immediately rinse them well after use (especially when using acrylic paint). And generally, find a store that is more targetted on professional artists than hobbyist. They usually provide better quality for a better price.

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Something like this comes in handy keeping your pensils from drying up / standing on their hairs:

http://www.kleurpalet.nl/index.php?acti ... 64&lang=NL

Pretty easy to make yourself, just find a sturdy spring coil.

By the way, I recommend starting with acrylic paint instead of oil. It is cheaper to start with, you can try different styles with the same basic components and it does not smell as oil does so you can do it in smaller appartements. Very ERE ;-)

FrugalZen

Post by FrugalZen »

Watercolors are by far the cheapest way to go....even super watercolor paper like Arches is cheap compared to canvas.
Also cake water colors are cheapest in the long run.