Hello!

Say hello!!
CDR

Hello!

Post by CDR »

Hello Everyone,

I read Jacob's book 2 years ago and it's something I have been trying to put into practice for some time. In the past month or so I have been re-inspired to pursue the FI/ERE as a goal in my life. Enjoyed reading the journals and many of the logs, like "Something from Nothing" "Fix It" and etc.

I'm 26 years old and from Canada. I am married, but we live with my parents. I currently hold an office job.

At the start of this year, I made the decision to start studying so I could leave my current field of employment. I suppose I could elaborate on this further in a journal, but at first, I was thinking I could return to University for a Computer Science degree. After calculating the opportunity cost, however, even if the degree didn't cost much, not working for 2-3 years was an extremely expensive suggestion.

I considered entering an apprenticeship program or studying IT and getting certifications on my own time. Apprenticeship opportunities disappeared in March with COVID, so I started studying for IT. I previously worked fixing computers and cell phones, but the pay was minimal and it never occurred to me that I could use the position to swing upwards into better areas of IT. It has now, however.

I was hoping that around this time I would be going to meetups, volunteering, and getting out there to meet people and network, but alas COVID-19 has other plans.

Mae

Re: Hello!

Post by Mae »

Welcome :)

I'd be interested to read your reasoning behind starting studying to switch fields, as I find myself in the same position.

Good luck!

Mae

Re: Hello!

Post by Mae »

And then I found your journal.

Search game strong today