Lemur Journal!

Where are you and where are you going?
ertyu

Re: Lemur Journal!

Post by ertyu »

All podcasts I listen to seem to agree that Monday will “sell the news” re: splits. I have no position one way or the other but it would be interesting to wait and see.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@ertyu

Its the opposite environment lately. A lot of new retail investors (Robinhood) so usually with stock splits they think it is 'cheaper' now to buy so buying increases. Algos follow. People buy calls...stocks go up.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

August 31, 2020

Investments:
Invested - $260,849.27 (+29,012.75)
Spouse Note - $50,000.00
Cash Savings - $7,900 (-$4,100)
Net - $202,949.27 (+$9,112.75)

Portfolio still growing immensely (AMD, MSFT, SQ up a lot since last months update) but also gave it some personal stimulus through emergency savings...couldn't help myself on a SQ Call but I was right and ended up making an extra few grand.

Starting next Monday, Spouse & I are updating the way we track net-worth. Everything will be combined. She is fully on-board the shovel money into investments strategy. Estimating the above...$202k + $50k + $19k (Spouse Roth) + ??? cash my spouse is holding for her business...we're probably combined around $275k or so.

Expecting a $5k - taxes bonus from my job. Lastly - trading restrictions still suck. Kicking myself until November 7 or so when the restrictions are off. This was completely avoidable.

Physical Health / Diet: Down 11lbs to 179! Starting to 'look skinny' but the visceral fat is evident as I still can't see my abdominal muscles. Last time I saw my abs I weighed around 173lbs ...but this was also in 2013 when I was still in the military and had more muscle mass as well. I'm physically a bit tired from the dieting but also looking forward to the future - 17 more pounds to go!

Mental Health: Exhausted. Diet + full-time job / watching toddler + Work + Country seemingly falling apart. I deleted Facebook last month which was excellent ...may need to dump Reddit as well. Its seems I made the latter my 'replacement' for dopamine news kicks.

Job: No raise but bonus so can't complain too much given current environment. Work itself is actually kind of boring as we come near end of contract in November. Looking forward to Labor Day Weekend as I took off Friday as well. I really need the break.

Gardening: Harvested a few cucumbers and an acorn squash. Got Pumpkin #4 ready to harvest in a week or so. Another basketball sized Pumpkin. That plant has been ridiculous lol.

Family: The reality of my Sister wanting to move out next year is starting to settle. Looks like her and this fella are serious. Spouse and I discussing what we wanna do. The thought of buying a house is still terrifying to me so will probably move and rent somewhere else.

Other: Still reading the Story of B. I'm a slow reader. I'm pretty much energy drained and just sit around playing PS3 Dark Souls when I don't feel like doing anything....actually I have a shame-able amount of hours lol. With my Spouse gone I just sort of resort to what I did before I met her ...too many games.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Lemur wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:10 pm
may need to dump Reddit as well.
it's one of the things i've done, and i recommend it.
reddit can be a time-suck. there's interesting stuff on it but one should be very intentional about moderating one's use and curating one's experience. especially as elections draw near, nowhere is safe.

good luck.

sorry if you've written about this before, but what's your personal approach to weight loss right now?

re: retail: I keep insisting they're less significant than what they're made out to be (due to size of retail vs. size of mkt as a whole). but yes, i've seen the argument that algos are trying to front-run them and amplify the effect.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@ertyu

Very simple.
viewtopic.php?p=223946#p223946

Get a rough estimation of your caloric maintenance level (bodyweight * 14). Whatever that result is, eat 500-1000 calories less than that. Track on a notepad or something you've to write down on (personally have done this everyday for 6 weeks or so now)... Prioritize whole foods (eggs, potatoes, beans, lentils, lean meats, veggies, fruits), get some sort of exercise 3-4x a week. Don't be neurotic about finer details (carbs vs fat debate, canola oil vs olive oil, tying emotions to food, etc. stuff like that). Most important - be consistent. Day in day out each less calories. Over-time, fat loss occurs.

Edit: Also a useful tool:
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

makes sense, thank you! congrats on your results thus far!

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Work is just overall starting to blow...

- The government personnel I work for, clients, are basically just incompetent and while easier to deal with back then is starting to get old and frustrating. I swear these people can't follow simple instructions. We make the same damn requests on a monthly basis and they somehow manage to screw that up.

- 3 months of just 'survival mode' as the new contract results are ready to come out soon and teaming partners we used to actively work with and get along with now just actively throw us under the bus any chance they get. It is all very subtle too. A quip here and there...the crafty email...the sudden (oh that person had something come up and can't make this crucial meeting with implications). One minute they're your 'friends' but as soon as the auditors put their focus on you, then friends don't exist all of a sudden. Or they just plain don't work with us / set us up for failure as we stumble through our weekly updates to the client. Does not help that we're in a weaker position overall on the contract (less budget, less resources, not enough people in higher places). It is a lot of fun to tell the client every week that we've not accomplished anything since the previous week....and can't really give an adequate reason why.

- I'm getting the 'pep talks' lately of being 'more like a manager' and 'getting my name out there'. Terrific :/

- All of the above is probably just exacerbated by my recent exhaustion. My spouse comes home in 9 days or so. Can't wait. Lemur is reaching limits.

I want off this boat. Looking forward to end of November actually. Maybe I''ll get to use some of my 'FI' after all. There is also a ...if you can't beat them, join them I'm thinking of. I'm a vet...with enough experience now. I have golden handcuffs until March 1 (don't have to pay back bonus)...thought about just getting a easy entry level analyst position in the government (GS) and just coast till the end. Or just do something else entirely different. Would not be the first time.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

- Profited off another vertical spread when the long SQ call hit my limit price. Used the funds to close out the short which was good timing because the stock had just dropped 3% (making me even more profit) because the value of the short dropped so my buy to close was cheaper.

- Opened up a MSFT 235/285 call vertical spread expiring 3/19/2020. I stand to make $2.5-$3k profit should this work out. It is unusual to choose a long that is slightly OTM but it was cheaper and I'm extremely bullish. Net debit was about $1,500.

- Opened up a position in VISA.

- Expecting a 'big paycheck' this Friday due to work bonus. Debating whether to get my savings back up to 6x monthly expenses or use cash as buffer in brokerage. I may go with the latter because I need the flexibility to make a quick decision...due to ongoing trading restrictions.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Interesting developments in work-life...

So our firm essentially has 2 parallel contracts running; one where we're the prime contractor and one where we're sublet to another company (the one I am on). The latter, we found out that we're not being picked up on the contract renewal. Interestingly, the prime contract we're on, we won again and my colleagues were picked up for that contract...but I was not :/

So end of November I'm 'benched' (not on a project) and I have discussions with my Manager about what is next.

I'm just a little nervous but I am moreso excited. Our firm has offices all over the world (I work for big 4) but I've also grown weary of the current work I do. This is an opportunity to both get something more in line with what I want to do but also even a chance to move. Worst come to worse....I get to excise some FI.

Edit: Posting link to remind myself to re-read later.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3410&start=20 I found this thread particularly interesting.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

scott.london/interviews/mollison.html

Interesting article. Also reminds me now that the Aztecs liked to plant Maize, beans, and squash together (aka the three sisters.)

Corn provided a stud / support for the beans. Beans fixed the nitrogen to the soil. Squash kept the moisture into the ground with its leaves.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I gotta say being at the tail end of a project and also knowing that you won't be picked up for the renewal...motivation is very very very hard to find.....basically doing the bare minimum to not be harassed / 'survive' the next 3 months.

Its funny; I finally accomplished the ultimate objective and that was automating all the work. The dream was to sit back and take it easy and let the automation do the work but the problem with that is corporate / client demands progress every week with updates...but you don't really have any. So you just sort of 'find' stuff to do and pass off as a bullet.

Absolutely soul draining. But hey...I'm paid well for this. Looking forward to new contract (hopefully) in Nov. For now, just need to stick it out I guess.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Deleted Reddit. Was convinced easily...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Dilemma

I now have zero social media accounts.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I'm already feeling the effects of no social media accounts. Overall less angst and being 'argumentative'. I have also freed up so much time...been reading more instead of browsing phone for hours on end. My attention span seems like it has been increasing because I am able to focus more and even get back to reading books beyond just 2 or 3 pages......I'm also blocking Yahoo.com and any news sources that are 'click-baity' or completed biased on one side of the political spectrum. At the moment, just using Reuters.com for my news.

Work has even been better because I'm actually focused on it instead of being constantly distracted by Reddit.

It seems work is very bi-polar for me lately. Last week I was generally sulking about how things suck and the next week I'm up and running, motivated, knocking tasks out and looking forward to help solve client problems. My career coach has actually been very helpful for me after I opened up about my thoughts about being promoted to manager etc...Being told that I'm actually 'extremely articulate, organized, and one of the best problem solvers' made me feel less like an impostor I guess. Maybe I just needed the confidence boost. Peter principle is what it is ....a great advice I have is never to wait until you're perfectly ready for the next step up because you never will be anyway until you walk in the shoes.

For my next project...I've been specifically requesting from my managers opportunities to lead teams and be the face of the work streams for whomever client I end up working with. Time to 'grow' and work within the system then against us.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Congrats on dropping the social media. I'd like to say I've done the same, but in reality I check DW's FB feed (way) more often than she does; and as much as I try and avoid the highly click-baity Google News aggregator, in 10+ years of desk work I've yet to come up with a workable alternative to surfing the Internet when I need (or think I need) a mental break in between work tasks. Also, I kind of use this forum to scratch my social media itch as well, but let's not talk about that.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@Hristo

Same. But this forum is very much a net-positive by being filled with useful discussion and information. Far different then Social Media / Reddit.

Speaking of which: Bookmarking for later viewing: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11510
I hate fall/winters because planting season is over...but wondering if I can hack somehow and grow produce using a bucket method...

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Not saying I agree with it fully, but my time logger app records the forum as Social Networking and the blog as Business and the feed as News & Opinion.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

My attention span has gotten a great benefit from letting go of all dopamine feedbacks through electronics...no scrolling through clickbaity Yahoo article titles, Reddit posts, Memes (regardless of source), tiktoks, Youtube rabbit holes, nothing. I read 1/3rd of book 'The Story of B'. Took me 3-4 hours or so but it is the longest continuous time I've ever spent doing 'reading' in one sitting.

I'm a bit more focused at work and quite less distracted as well.

Life is a bit of a treadmill at the moment. Spouse and I do a lot of future-speak. One of the things we talked about is purpose in retirement. I talked about some ideas about filling my free time with volunteer work once the 9-5 life is over and we move overseas to her country (Philippines). Like this has peaked my interest: ttps://transitionnetwork.org . Maybe I'll help out.

ERE introduced me doing non-waste lifestyles (this is a thing?) a few years ago...which lead to gardening....which lead to organic gardening (didn't want to waste money on buying chemicals)...which lead to permaculture studying (building systems)...which lead to figuring out world solutions and seeing what we can do on the ground. That is where transitionnetwork.org comes in but I'm also exploring other ideas. But I need experience.

I'm glad I brought this up and had a long conversation with my Spouse. Her idea is to see the world and travel. I can respect whatever it is she wants to do but I did caution her that even that will get boring eventually - you'll need something beyond that (In hindsight I was projecting my own thoughts that travel does not bring much purpose to me)... I planted a seed here and will let her arrive at whatever conclusion.

For example - as for me I want to do projects that could eventually help reduce spending / cash outflows. Permaculture can do a lot here: gardening will provide me most of our food supply. A windmill / solar panel will provide the electricity. A water well will provide the water. Phone/Internet hacking? Stuff like that I guess. Sounds something like a homestead. This time spent focusing on building systems to de-couple myself from the financial system...with money being the 'backup in case I fail' or better subscribed as something that is substituted when I don't have a better answer. Also just simply sounds fun.

One lasting thought....to avoid conflict...I feel as if net-worth should always be at the lower Wheaton level partner. For instance, if I'm well on $12k spending a year but Spouse feels comfortable at $20k a year...then I need to aim for $600k to satisfy both parties. The other party may or may not catch up one day. In the end, It is a buffer for one party but a reasonable situation for the other. Going lower invites conflict. This is the path of least resistance at least. I guess if one felt really strong about 'quitting now' this would not work. Especially if the levels were so far apart (one party needs $12k and the other wants $40k / $1 million). I'm somewhat fascinated by how some couples reconcile this situation in the ERE / FIRE world. Other solution would be one Spouse would retire ($12k a year lets say) but if the other Spouse wants more, they could continue to do so if they wanted to add. Some couples this works great (everyone wins?) but I guess it depends if the working Spouse wants to toss in resentment or not. This seems less of a problem for people who're already into simple living anyway but could be an issue of the middle-class mindset ...where social status from working a 'full-time job' is put on a pedestal.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

You're last post really resonated. DW and I have been having many of these conversations, and talked this morning about balancing purpose and travel in early retirement. I'm also really curious about how others approach shared finances and expectations. Initially I planned on saving enough to cover our household expenses at a 4% SWR. We are starting to explore different options, which include some part-time work for DW after a year of slow travel.

I'm fortunate in that my partner doesn't have lofty lifestyle expectations and is on-board with a lot of my "crazy" plans to live a non-traditional lifestyle.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I did not have a steak seasoning (just used all-purpose seasoning) and I don't have liquid smoke, but this simple canned green bean recipe turned out to be awesome anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jTuvt-gNw

Wasn't a fan of green beans till this. Learned a key in cooking veggies....don't be shy on seasoning...salt makes a world of difference. Let them fry a little bit too (no oil required).

May even do this same meal again later but add diced carrots and see what happens. Or add diced onions. Experiment with it.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Finished 'The Story of B'. My thoughts on that was posted in the Ismael Trilogy thread. Great book. Thanks Daniel Quinn for another round of depression lol.

Next book to tackle...maybe Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind next or something. Not sure yet.