Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego »

A young woman had a very dramatic breakup this weekend. She dumped a box full of pink fluffy hearts, trinkets, an empty bottle of Moet and a ceramic unicorn that must have been gifts from the guy who appeared to be a fortysomething sugar-daddy. It was mostly junk but down at the bottom of the box were a bunch of gift cards. I left them until trash day in case she had regrets. When they were still there I figured they were fair game. Checking each website was like hitting the lottery over and over again.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Holy moly
I thought it was bad when I found rolls of TP in the college dorm dumpster when you couldn’t find it in the store.

Are you going to sell them or spend them?

Ego

Post by Ego »

Hah!

We'll keep the top one because it is essentially cash. I thought about re-gifting them to family but the cards are dirty as if they were carried around in a wallet for a while. I would love to sell them but don't really know the best way to do so. Do you have any experience selling gift cards?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I've seen them sold on ebay before. Typically they are listed for a few dollars less than the credited amount on the card. I'm not sure people would be as willing to buy them on Craigslist or local setups.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Hum. I always thought the cards on ebay had to be some sort of money laundering scam as they typically sell for close to face value and some for more than face value. Why would someone buy a gift card like that when they can buy directly from the company? Also, I'd like to avoid the 14% fees if possible.

In order to check the value online I had to scratch off and reveal the pin codes which I'd imagine would lower their value further.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I sold a gift card online a few years ago using a gift card selling site. I can't find the name now but there are a lot of sites if you search for something like "sell gift cards." It was easy and sold immediately. I can't remember how much of a markdown/cut there was though.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I tend to think that Mrs. Ego getting some new underwear or workout gear is probably the most efficient.

Or maybe buying masks and reselling them at the flea market .

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Could you use them to buy stuff at whatever flea market you go to instead of using cash?

If you list them on eBay or FB marketplace or similar, I'd offer up the whole lot for a fixed price. Some of those stores might go out of business so I'd turn them over asap.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

honestly, send your wife to stock up on clothes and underwear for the next 5 yrs - least hassle. You will get the cash out by not having to spend it on replacement clothing items. Do Nordstrom and Forever 21 still exist?

Ego

Post by Ego »

@GdeP, thanks, I just looked at a few of those. They all like the Nordstroms card but are not very interested in the others.

@Laura Ingalls, on Wednesday one of my friends pulled me aside and handed me a bag full of eight pieces of Lululemon clothing for Mrs. Ego for $20. He knows she teaches yoga and always watches for things in her size. I brought it home and her first reaction was, "Meh". She used to jump for joy when I brought home a bag like that. The spark is gone. I'll be selling most of it on ebay.

She has so much workout clothing - and clothing in general - that her closet is full to overflowing. She has zero interest in going to the mall to spurge.

@jp, I love that idea. I am going to take a few with me this weekend and give it a try.

@ertyu, you're right, she should probably use the Victoria's Secret card. Hah

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

VS have been on thin ice lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going out of business.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Another cross-country move happening. Mrs. Ego tipped me off to a microwave oven in the trash. Works perfectly.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The cross country movers ran out of room in their car so they left a nearly brand new bike and bike lights. Keeping the lights. I've never been a fan of single speeds so I'm selling the bike.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

wow. those lights are rechargeable niteriders i think? which are a pretty decent make.

they look like older models, but judging by the state of the bicycle they likely haven’t been used much.

and is the bicycle is just a single speed or does it have a flipflop hub for fixed gear?

ETA: these are your lights. nice loot!
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/produc ... -light-set

Ego

Post by Ego »

Cool beans! I have my own set of Niterider lights and use them often in the winter. Mrs. Ego has dibs on these. I believe they are less than a year old.

The bike is this one....
https://www.statebicycle.com/collection ... ore-line-1

Yes, it has a flipflop.

They also threw out a ton of food but not much that we eat except for three bags of brussles sprouts and a bag of pears.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I was so excited about the bike I failed to notice the Ikea cubes. Listed for sale

Ego

Post by Ego »

Got 30 replies in 30 minutes. Perfect distraction from the debate. Sold for $10. Maybe should have listed it for more.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:01 pm
Cool beans! I have my own set of Niterider lights and use them often in the winter. Mrs. Ego has dibs on these. I believe they are less than a year old.
great! it sorta has a bit of a vintage look on the shiny surface but i guess it’s by design not age
Ego wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:01 pm
The bike is this one....
https://www.statebicycle.com/collection ... ore-line-1

Yes, it has a flipflop.
hah! i almost bought one of those (i like the look of the van damme) but i decided to build my own instead. the one you got looks news! seems to me an outrage to throw it away, but if they didn’t use it... you can probably get most of the retail value. it’s got a... “trendy name”... single speed has replaced the fixie in hipster fashion

Ego

Post by Ego »

One of my tenants is sponsored by TaylorMade. He threw out three clubs. I listed them individually with a combined price of $450. Shooting for the moon. I can always lower it.

A guy made an appointment to come and look at the bike last night but didn't show. Maybe today.

Alice_AU

Post by Alice_AU »

Wow. Very impressive. Note to self: must go dumpster-diving)