the animal's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: the animal's journal

Post by theanimal »

@WRC- Thank you very much for your kind words. There is something to be said to be living in an environment that you have built and have the skills to maintain/create. I'm glad and honored to have served as an inspiration as I have enjoyed reading the beginning of your journal.

-------------------------------------------------

Finished up the forestry work about a week ago and have been working on the cabin since getting back. The gf has been helping out each day so we've been able to make some steady progress. In the past week, we sheathed the remaining portion of the roof, put the rear soffit up, installed door/windows and got the metal sheeting on the roof. It's getting really close to move in stage. I also bought a woodstove today. I was able to get a good deal on an old Blaze King Princess for $500. I won't have to worry about ever getting too cold as this thing puts out serious heat and is designed for homes at least 5x the size of my own. I had a newer edition of the same stove when I was at the cabin in the Arctic and really enjoyed that setup. It's nice to have some continuity. My biggest priorities now are getting the piping in for the woodstove and my solar panels mounted on the roof. After that I'll start on the ceiling and add my roof insulation. Slowly but surely...

ffj

Post by ffj »

Holy cow, you are going to roast in that cabin. People are going to wonder why all of the doors and windows are open in the middle of winter at your place, haha.

Looking good though. Very picturesque.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I don't know much about woodstoves, but can't you just... put less wood in it?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Yes I'm not really worried about the size. I had the same model in a 144 sq ft cabin. This cabin is nearly double that, albeit a bit better insulated. It just means I'll have less wood and I keep the flue mostly shut. I had a couple nights in the past where I started a fire before bed and fell asleep before closing the flue and woke up to a very, very warm house. Opening the door solved the trick. I have friends who also have a stove in the same size cabin nearby and they just keep small fires throughout most of the winter and then alternate every other day in the shoulder season. Stoves that are specifically designed for smaller buildings are impractical and not really designed for everyday use.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

wow that stove is massive lol

won’t closing the flue partially give you an inefficient burn + creosote in the chimney? yes it lasts a long time that way but it’s less efficient.

i used to heat up 600sqft with a small stove, burning hot daily, flue fully open, but in the morning only.

i don’t like burning at night due to co poisoning risk and other dangers.

then again, you’re in alaska, so i can’t compute.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

From my understanding and past use, any fires are started with the flue wide open and once it's engaged and burning for a little while then the flue can be adjusted to whatever temperature is desired. I'm not sure what the efficiency of this is but I do remember reading that in the owner's manual years ago. Anyways, I'm not concerned. It gets very cold here. It sounds like it's different elsewhere as here once winter hits, there will be a fire going continuously unless I'm gone for an extended period.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

We have a smaller Blaze King stove and love it. I love being about to adjust it with a knob once a good fire is going.

So much progress here! Your place is really starting to look like a home. So cool. Move in day is around the corner.

Also, it's really neat to hear about all your outdoor adventures and the new gf and super beautiful dog. Life seems pretty sweet right now.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The house looks great! I'm so happy for you.