classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Kriegsspiel

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Just joshin a fellow Appalachian and being SAVANT-LEVEL ACCURATE WITH FACTS AND LOGIC OHHH

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

It will stay active, I am on discord for communities related to other interests of mine.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

your discord account can be anything, and you can change your name into something different for each server you are a member of. So people can use pre-existing accounts if they want to. It's both a mobile and a desktop app which makes it convenient, and sharing pictures is much much easier. The disadvantage is that as with any other social media platform, it's built for socializing not for archiving content. Old content seems to be there and searchable, but it's much more for in-the-moment socializing than posting long thoughtful pieces. The server stays active and you stay joined even if you don't visit it for extended periods of time. Further, you are correct that you can make the server undiscoverable by the general public and that you can issue invites for people to join. There are permanent invites, which is one stable link for everyone (but this can be leaked) or temporary invites, which expire after ... unsure how long. There are also roles and bots and emoji and the like, if anyone is interested in playing around with those things.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

No difference to me; for better or worse I'm not concerned about privacy via this forum, but I'm motivated enough to participate that I'd jump through the hoops to get access.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Less likely bordering on unlikely for the discord cloak and dagger stuff. What's wrong with moving to PM or email for the personal stuff like locations and times? Where do you want to set the privacy bar? Is it okay to sharing info with your 400 closest qualified/discord friends but you don't want the info to be googlable?

I don't think it's possible to give people special permission to a singular thread. However, it would be possible to create a new class of users e.g. "qualified users" who would have exclusive access to a separate forum on the forums. Like, there's a forum for Administrative stuff here that only moderators(*) can see.

However, the downside of this is that it's likely that a lot the forum activity will move "behind closed doors". While this initially seems like there's no cost to the individuals doing this, it will eventually mean that fewer people join the forum. IOW, putting an existing "network" behind the screen leads reduced generation of new networks and reduced accretion to existing networks.

(*) A defunct user class.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I’m wondering how the privacy concerns of this initiative is different than the privacy concerns of past Meetups, which (right?) have all been conducted via a thread>PMs>etc?

Perhaps just start with a normal forum thread and if it nosedives because everyone wants more security, go from there?

classical_Liberal

JollyScot

Post by JollyScot »

Sounds a lot like a significantly more focused couchsurfing is about to be going on :)

I used it a lot, then google got better at searching and it was the number one link for anyone who searched my name. It is too unique worldwide to not just get lost in the noise of other people. Should just change my name to John Smith.

After being asked about it by a recruiter, temporary flat mate and in a job interview within the space of 3 months I decided everyone had become a nosy bugger and hid it. Or at least the were now happier announcing they were nosy...more likely.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

What's a day in the life like for you these days? You've dropped some hints that you make wine, bike for hours and make tortillas. I read your journal but I realized that you don't seem to talk about the day to day living. It's all big picture planning, which is cool and I like reading it. I also like hearing about how people live and what cool things they've figured out to do now that they're not wasting a bunch of time at a jobby-job. Anyway, just hoping for some semi-ere day dream material while I grind it out for a few more months.

classical_Liberal

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

This "weekend-weekday out of whack" is a definite drawback to semi-ERE - my daughter has struggled with it from the start. She never knew anything else than both parents being at home most of the time, so our family life naturally happens a lot when other parents are at work and kids are cared for out of the house. Her friends seldom have time to meet with her on the weekends, because they do road trips or activities with their parents. This was hard for her to understand when she was little. Now she has gotten used to it (being on her own and bored on weekends), and I suppose this problem will go away as soon as her friends are no longer hanging out with their parents :)

RE: the gambling - this nicely illustrates how one finds solutions as soon as there is enough time to play around with possibilities! How great that you can still indulge in your hobby that way without it being a drain on your ressources.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:37 am
Cards, blackjack, craps, options trading
Seems like the next progression. A few years in and I can tell you that it feels like a card game to me.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I used to occasionally bet on the ponies...with somebody else's money :lol:

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Cider and wine making - cool! I've done a bit of cider making in the last few years. From picking the apples, 'scratting' and vatting into 25 litre barrels, all good fun and quite cathartic too. Must get back to doing it! Although each time they've tasted pretty crappy (way too tart), there was a definite level of improvement. If you don't "crash cool/halt fermentation" then it will probably end up too tart too... So you might want to try experimenting with some non-fermentable sugar additives after fermentation. Hope you have fun with the experimentation anyway!

Great work on the free comps too :)