classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Scott 2

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by Scott 2 »

Congrats on the unemployment! I am interested to see what you get up to next.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Congratulations on your decisions!

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

@Cl

I've been following your journey for a while. It looks like you have some big steps in the near future!

I've personally found marriage very rewarding (married 7 years and together 14 years). If you are with the right woman, which it sounds like you are, there is nothing to worry about. Getting married was one of the best decisions of my life.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jean

Post by Jean »

If your plans for international Travel still hold, my studio will be available during week days until mid december. It's a nice hiking base.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I like how there's an ongoing thread debating ERE status symbols, and CL just casually drops the biggest one in his journal.

Boss: "I'm in control and you have no say."
CL: "That's not how this works. I quit."

So metal. Congrats!

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Great to hear that things are still working out for you, and also that the anxiety rapidly dropped off! I'll be interested to watch how your motivation/interest/discipline levels remain over the months - as you'll know, mine dropped off at about 6-7 months and I got bored. Will be keeping eyes peeled for tips and wisdom you happen upon over the months!

Also if you head over this way on your travels, gimme a shout!

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

The anxiety thing does go away with time, but it happens every time. For me anyway.

I'm not quite in the financial position you are (I went and had kids, which turn out to be expensive :D) but as a work opportunist who easily gets sucked into projects not of my own making, I still go through a couple weeks of mild anxiety every time one of those projects/gigs ends. Even though I consciously know this is crazy, it still happens almost subconsciously. I chock it up to never completely escaping my middle class programming of "you better have a job". Travel is the best cure I know for that, so I think that'll help.

Or you can end up like me and one of your contract/clients will convince you to take a full time job. :shock:

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:52 pm
I'm curious. Do you think the travel helps because you are able to find people/cultures who don't worship at the altar of constant work and money, or is the just the physical change to your location and daily habits that helps?
For me it's mainly the change of location/experience. I don't know if it distracts me exactly, but it snaps me out of habits of thinking that lead to anxiety. When I travel have no worries. Or maybe it's more accurate to say my worries are more immediate and concrete, which for me is much easier to solve.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I am wired far too anxiously which is part of the reason I have hung on too some paid employment. Lately it has been a pretty nominal time commitment 3-4 hours per week. I have also been eligible for some unemployment which I tend to think of as both a gift and an income stream diversifier. I think I could quit now without producing much anxiety. But the after being at this semi-retirement thing for six years we are both getting used to it, have less our lifespan left, and less and less of the financial and emotional work of parenting ahead of us.

Also the financial reinforcements (pensions, social security) are getting closer.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:16 pm
A big part of the reason I want more international travel and to change up the region(s) of my longer term US travel, is to find a culture that suits me better. I do like the individual people here, but I'd love to find something a bit more laid back and more open to general social chill-time.
Oh man, this. I spent 2 months on Kalymnos a few years back, and you could tell the Americans who were fresh off the plane because their shoulders were up around their ears. I'd go back to Greece in a heartbeat.

classical_Liberal

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

*wave*

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

The slowtravel sounds fun... I think I'd be down.

Relaxed and chill time is one of the reasons I'm glad I speak Spanish. :)

Jean

Post by Jean »

The common slow Travel Idea is actually good. I've Seen other communities do this kind of meetup with succes.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Yep, I'm in, that's a great idea.

If you happen to head West and South in mid-October, we might have an opportunity to cross paths/test this idea out.

wolf

Post by wolf »

I like the idea of a traveling ERE club. Imagine it would be all year long!