What are you taking/eating or doing to improve your immunity?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
catpepper

What are you taking/eating or doing to improve your immunity?

Post by catpepper »

With the ongoing pandemic, falling sick during this period is risky whether covid19 or not. Going to the doctor could risk you catching the virus in an environment with lots of sick people gathering together.

I've been mostly staying at home and working from home. The last time I fell sick was a cold last December. Possibly due to less physical contact outside of my family, and my wife is also working from home, so the chances of us falling sick is much lower. We are also taking fruits like bananas, apples and oranges more frequently. On top of that, I've got myself some of these royal jellies. Have no idea what it is other than it's some bee related product that's not honey. It was gifted to me by a friend.

On top of that, me and my wife bought a set of Nintendo Switch and Ring Fit Adventure and we're working out with it 2-3 times a week.

I guess if I continue my current lifestyle, I might not even fall sick at all this year.
Last edited by catpepper on Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hristo Botev

Re: What are you taking/eating or doing to improve your immunity?

Post by Hristo Botev »

I've never been a supplement or vitamin person, but (when I remember to) I've been taking zinc and vitamins C and D supplements for the past few months, in addition to trying to be better about exercising regularly and eating lots of veggies. No idea if any of the supplements are worth the money; but the supplements industry needs to be writing some fat checks to Joe Rogan, if they're not already.

It's definitely not fun lately to feel run down and achy, so that you obsess about whether or not you got the 'vid.

Edit to add I'm also taking a probiotic.
Last edited by Hristo Botev on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I have been trying to eat at least 30 different species of plants each week. Results aren’t conclusive, but there is some evidence that variety leads to most protective biome for immune system. Of course, my proclivity for consuming tapioca pudding along with my veggies may dampen the effect somewhat :lol:

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm
Of course, my proclivity for consuming tapioca pudding along with my veggies may dampen the effect somewhat :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

I've never been healthier, ironically! While I'm not prone to catch influenza or noro virus types, I usually have 2 or 3 head colds a year, but not a single sniffle in 2020 so far! The kid not going to school much may be part of this, in addition to social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing...
Personally, I try to spend lots of time outside (hiking with the dogs, horse back riding and garden work) to keep my immune system up and running. No added vitamins but we do eat a lot of veggies regularly.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Given our precautions, it would be very hard to infect us with anything these days. However, since going to the dentist has been complicated indeed. They just informed us they cancelled all regular service/cleaning until April next year although they still do emergency treatments. I'm therefore being very careful with my teeth. I floss and brush shortly after eating. I stay away from gooey stuff like bread and cake. No slacking.

I haven't done anything differently to prevent accidents that would send me to the doc/ER. OTOH, I've never broken a bone, so always been quite careful in that regard. However, I would not consider starting a mountain biking hobby right now.

I do worry slightly that this self-imposed sterile environment is just building up kindling for a wildfire at some point. Some countries have practically eliminated flu for the time being because basic flu reproduction numbers have been driving far below 1 by changing behavior. If/when it comes back, the susceptible population will get larger the longer this goes on.

But overall, I'm mostly worried about my teeth.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

jacob wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:52 pm

I do worry slightly that this self-imposed sterile environment is just building up kindling for a wildfire at some point. Some countries have practically eliminated flu for the time being because basic flu reproduction numbers have been driving far below 1 by changing behavior. If/when it comes back, the susceptible population will get larger the longer this goes on.
i wouldn’t sweat it as it’s not long-term, and you’re a gardener, so if you have your hands in the dirt on a regular basis you’re coming into contact with a myriad bacteria that are keeping your immune system entertained.

but you’re right that resistance to specifically human pathogens might be diminished—only that’s in the long run. the immune system has a memory, which might vary by type of pathogen, but it still remembers the viruses from a year or two ago, or the bacteria from childhood. it depends really.

so hang in there, and as soon as we get a corona vaccine just reboot your immune system by taking a dive into a crowded public transportation system and bathing in the collective vapors of humanity.

catpepper

Post by catpepper »

Hristo Botev wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:48 am
I've never been a supplement or vitamin person, but (when I remember to) I've been taking zinc and vitamins C and D supplements for the past few months, in addition to trying to be better about exercising regularly and eating lots of veggies. No idea if any of the supplements are worth the money; but the supplements industry needs to be writing some fat checks to Joe Rogan, if they're not already.

It's definitely not fun lately to feel run down and achy, so that you obsess about whether or not you got the 'vid.

Edit to add I'm also taking a probiotic.
From what I've read, vitamin C supplements isn't that well absorbed into your body and most of passes out of your body when you pee. It still helps but instead of what is advertised, seems like a quick google search says that only about 50% is absorbed into your body.
Last edited by catpepper on Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

catpepper

Post by catpepper »

@Alphaville

That's what I tell my wife too. Being too excessive over germs isn't a good thing.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

I'm a true believer in making the immune system work...like a muscle (naturally only if you have a normal healthy immune system with no underlying conditions).

As a healthcare worker we are offered and advised to take the free influenza vaccine every year.
As I never come into contact with patients I feel no moral obligation to take it.
I always think as I am so fit and healthy my immune system will cope with flu/colds and it may even be good for it to "workout" now and again.
I get the average amount of "bugs" per year... seemingly 5 per year is normal (with varying degrees of severity from hardly no symptoms to really feeling it).

I raised my 2 kids with this ethos and never wanted them on any antibiotics unless they had a definite bacterial infection (as much as possible... often just guess work with most respiratory bugs).

This year will be a bit of a dilemma for me regarding the flu shot,with Covid probably gaining momentum in the Autumn and also because I am now also over 50... seemingly a risk factor for a "lowered" immune response.

I would definitely take a Covid vaccine if it comes out...but the annual flu vaccine...I really can't see myself taking it yet...

I have very little stress in my life,get loads of sleep... healthy food,fresh air, sunshine and excercise...a bit of a dilemma as I age.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I used to lick physical currency as a kid.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

1taskaday wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:23 am
I would definitely take a Covid vaccine if it comes out...but the annual flu vaccine...I really can't see myself taking it yet...
I've been pondering that, I'll probably take it just because there are so many vulnerable people in my family. Having said that the southern hemisphere doesn't seem to be suffering too much at the moment so I don't expect we will have it that bad this winter.

J_

Post by J_ »

I follow the insights and nutrition advise of the book "How not to die"* by Michael Greger. He has done a lot of research how to stay healthy and how to boost and maintain your body in the best way to resist illnesses, inclusive virusses.
Eating this way works for me. I have not been sick for about two decades now.
I even think it is more important to study about nutrition for the participants of this forum before you begin to study about the details of becoming financial independent.
*(For me it is a book as good as the "Ere" book of Jacob,or as "Antifragile" by Nasim Taleb).

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

catpepper wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:55 am
From what I've read, vitamin C supplements isn't that well absorbed into your body and most of passes out of your body when you pee. It still helps but instead of what is advertised, seems like a quick google search says that only about 50% is absorbed into your body.
DW corrected me: it's Vitamin B she's had me taking, not Vit. C.

wolf

Post by wolf »

mostly vegan food, no alcohol, cold showers, once a week zinc vitb12 and other vitamins, going for a walk in woods, fresh air, high intensive interval training, body weight exercising, good sleeping routine, green tea, vitD via sunlight, light therapy in dark winter months, stress management, positive thinking, trying to cure illnesses/colds completely etc...,

catpepper

Post by catpepper »

tonyedgecombe wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:11 am
I've been pondering that, I'll probably take it just because there are so many vulnerable people in my family. Having said that the southern hemisphere doesn't seem to be suffering too much at the moment so I don't expect we will have it that bad this winter.
I'm not really sure how our government will act once the vaccine is out. Could be possible for everyone to take it.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Nothing at all. Whatever I'm doing is already working. I almost never get sick. Haven't had a cold in a long time and I haven't caught the flu since I was a kid.

I do make sure to go outside everyday for at least 30 minutes. The Vitamin D is important. I eat fruit everyday.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

I'm wearing a mask full-time at work and haven't been seeing friends as much.

Other than that my normal routine is to prioritize my sleep, exercise, and try not to eat like shit. Works pretty well as I don't get sick that often and haven't ever had anything worse than the flu. Don't think I've even had food poisoning. No vitamins or supplements or anything.

As far as my teeth go I was planning on having a dental appointment this year as I hadn't been since 2018, but that's obviously on hold. Despite a lifetime of mediocre dental hygiene I've never had a cavity. I'm blessed with good enamel genes or something.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

My dentist is working again. Had a cleaning/checkup in July and they decided I needed a new crown and two small fillings (always makes me feel like a failure!!!).

So I invested over a grand in gold this month. More bling. This is in Oregon.

catpepper

Post by catpepper »

Lemur wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:10 pm
Nothing at all. Whatever I'm doing is already working. I almost never get sick. Haven't had a cold in a long time and I haven't caught the flu since I was a kid.

I do make sure to go outside everyday for at least 30 minutes. The Vitamin D is important. I eat fruit everyday.
That's very impressive. I catch a bad cold about once or twice a year that puts me out of any productivity for a week.