COVID19 and boycotting Chinese made

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
nomadscientist

Re: COVID19 and boycotting Chinese made

Post by nomadscientist »

Hitler was far more elected than most heads of government in PR systems. He had a stonking plurality, his coalition (with the monarchist conservatives) was obviously the most natural, and there was essentially no other alternative (mega coalition with both the monarchist conservatives and the communists with catholics thrown in for spice?).

Britain with maximum FPTP has been far more mild and stable than any European country of note, something that's close to true even if you only count the period after the war. France and Italy both almost went communist in the first half of the Cold War. Germany was mild after the war too but that was in part thanks to being militarily occupied and simply outlawing its extremist parties.

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

If I could only time travel to the Constitutional Convention...

sky

Post by sky »

It's going to be interesting to see the results of the UK's self-inflicted trade blockade with the EU.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

sky wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:06 pm
It's going to be interesting to see the results of the UK's self-inflicted trade blockade with the EU.
Well it would be from the outside :lol:

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

nomadscientist wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:05 pm
Germany was mild after the war too but that was in part thanks to being militarily occupied and simply outlawing its extremist parties.
Correct. And they still do that today. In fact, this week a party was banned. There are many restrictions on freedom of expression in Europe that would never get past the first amendment in the US. Then again, we have our own system that makes it virtually impossible for a third party candidate to get elected.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

RealPerson wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:40 pm
In fact, this week a party was banned.
Was there? Which one? I must have missed that piece of news...

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

@horsewoman
The group Nordadler was banned by Horst Seehofer in the last few days. At least according to my info. Feel free to rectify if this is not correct.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

@RealPerson that is correct so far, only it is not a political party but a small group of right-wing (neo-nazi) extremists, mainly operating online. They are extremely anti-semitic and suspected of planning terroristic attacks. So while I'm not ol' Horsts biggest fan I'm glad he acted in this manner (even though it was probably motivated by trying to paint over a blunder he made this week in regards to threatening a critical journalist, but that's neither here nor there...).

Your comment made it sound like polticial parties can be banned nilly-willy in Germany, but this is not the case. The process is exceedingly complicated, and it only happened twice since the founding of the Republic. There have been a few attempts since then, but they all failed, due to the many hurdles that need to be overcome on the process.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

At the risk of bringing this thread back to OP Govt of India unlisted 59 Chinese apps for privacy breaches and posing threat to national sovereignty.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

My god another new disease in China. Again. How is anyone supposed to trust claims "not to worry". Is this getting reported in the news elsewhere? https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/a ... d=12344704

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Yes, saw it on BBC a few days ago. It's a variant of H1N1 (the Swine flu) which infected about a billion people worldwide back in 2009.

It should be noted that new flu strains originate and old ones reemerge regularly with most of them fizzling out so this not really "news" beyond (dog bites man, plane arrives on time). Mostly vaccines are being cooked up based on a best guess basis of which strains will dominate this year---the northern hemisphere looks at what's in season on the southern hemisphere and prepares for that; and vice versa.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

For a similar panic over an H1N1 swine flu strain that fizzled out, see the 1976 Swine Flu Outbreak. It was notable in that there was mass panic about it being another 1918, tons of vaccines were made and distributed, but then it fizzled out.

The influenza virus has 6 RNA strands in its genome (compared to covid which has one giant strand), and so an animal infected by two flu strains at once can produce novel strains of flu in a way that's not really possible with covid. What made 1918 unique is all 6 strands had to work in combination to make it so deadly. They've tried combining new flu viruses from the 1918 RNA, and it has to have all 6 unique strands otherwise it loses its virulence. There's a pretty cool story about how they remade the 1918 flu here: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... virus.html

Another thing that makes flu different from covid is that flu strains have to compete with each other for survival. Because there's so many strains of flu circulating everywhere all the time, particularly virulent flu tends to die out due to selective pressures from other flu viruses. This is not so much true of covid, due to its lower rates of both mutation and circulation in the general population.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i’m much more alarmed by the fate of hong kong.

i wish we’d have a more neutrally-titled thread for these subjects, like “china news” or something, which this has evolved to encompass.

i’d start one but not sure if anyone would post in it

because https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desire_path :lol:

chenda

Post by chenda »

Lee Kuan Yew off of Singapore once said 'If anyone tries to take me on they know I'll don knuckle dusters and meet them in a cul-de-sac. Its the only way you can govern a Chinese society'.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Blanket ban on all power generation equipment from China- boilers, turbines, capacitors, insulators, transmission lines and cables, generators, gears, switching circuits, energy meters.

Active ingredients used in the production of drugs was banned in March.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n14 ... ing-states

On COVID and the potential pivot away from the Anglo-sphere as a role model.

I don't know enough about SEA politics to have an informed opinion, but perhaps it could be of interest to others.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

“Hitler, who took racist legislation in the US as a model and envied Britain for its ‘capitalist exploitation of 350 million slaves’ in India, frankly underscored the genealogy of German nationalism in British imperialism and US settler colonialism. ‘What India was for England,’ he declared, ‘the Eastern territories will be for us’; their ‘natives’ would be regarded as ‘redskins’. The scramble for territory and resources, started by British slave-owners and colonialists, and the subsequent international race to create the fittest political and economic organism for survival, are what made the first half of the 20th century so uniquely violent (not some fundamental incompatibility between ‘liberal democracy’ and ‘totalitarianism’, as the Cold War narrative had it). Desperately seeking Lebensraum, Germany and Japan clashed with their competitors and eventually capitulated to the greater military might of the Allied powers.”

This is just one of many goodies in here, where the policies behind the Holocaust are traced to the US and Britain. According to the author, Hitler would not have been Hitler without the monstrous legacy of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

Unlike Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, India’s founding figures were outspoken partisans of social, political and economic equality.”

The mental gymnastics at work here are truly unbelievable. This guy needs to spend some time in a Chinese organ-harvesting concentration camp to relieve him of some of his hatred of the Dreaded Whitey.

Biden, abandoning his Obama-lite centrism, has rushed to plagiarise Bernie Sanders’s manifesto. In anticipation of his victory in November, the Democratic Party belatedly plans to forge a minimal social state in the US through robust worker-protection laws, expanded government-backed health insurance, if not single-payer healthcare, and colossal investment in public-health jobs and childcare programmes. Businesses pledge greater representation for minorities; and book and magazine publishers seek out testimonies of minorities’ suffering while purging unreconstructed colleagues.

A lot of the continental philosophers in 20th century Europe were communists too until they spent time in the Soviet Union under the boot of Stalin and were disabused of the idea.

My guess from reading @fiby41’s reports is that the author is not representative of his nation. My guess from observing protests on every continent on the planet is that disaffected people can be seduced by bad ideas but considering that CHAZ (or CHOP, whatever color you like) imploded before the local book club even had an opportunity to distribute copies of Lord of the Flies leads me to believe that eventually the grey-suited technocrats will be given a rude reminder. In America the technocrats cannot even secure the local Foot Locker.

I wonder if the Three Gorges Dam collapses whether the world will view the benevolent Chinese dictatorship as handling disasters so beautifully. I am sure the author of the article will figure out a way to blame people drowning in the Yangtze River on Winston Churchill.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

It is to be kept in mind that India has 2,598 political parties.
911,950,734 eligible voters * 67.4% voter turnout = 614,654,794 votes cast.
Unfortunately I couldn't be one of them due to being outside the country.
I wouldn't call this a botched attempt at democracy.
The "Great festival" was a campaign by the Election Commission which is independent and not a political party. It was to encourage citizens inside the country to get out and vote and not for any "acclaim" outside.
starvation looms over hundreds of millions of Indians
810,000,000 beneficiaries covered under National Food Security Act, 2013 will continue to get their free 5 kg rice/wheat and 1 kg pulses every month from April through November. So far 11 billion kgs have been distributed which is 89% of allocated so there is no food shortage either.

Regarding Kashmir, the latest branch of the Vedas to go extinct was there after the ethnic cleansing. We have their books no problem but unlike Greek philosophies, these are lived traditions coming down in continuous disciplic succession without even one generation of discontinuity. This inability to prevent such unnatural selective pressure is what "India’s Hindu supremacist rulers have shown."

One can look up the author's alma mater to sort if one gets a kick out of such citationless unquantified atrocity literature until one looks at self sufficient communities and villages from their lens and is shown "class exploitation."

chenda

Post by chenda »

The author makes many mistakes and exaggerations (such as the absurd assertion that India has produced 'no internationally recognised products') but I do agree the west, at least the anglosphere, is ideologically bankrupt. We have much to learn from the far east, and I expect aspirational 2nd and 3rd nations will increasingly look to the likes of Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore as models to emulate.

@fiby41 Which branch went extinct ? I've heard of Kashmiri Shavism...

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Kaṭha branch/śākhā contained in the Kṛṣṇa section of the YajurVeda compiled by Vaiśampāyana.