ERE Year 2 - Geoarbitrage, Permaculture, and Nomadic Lifestyle Design

Where are you and where are you going?
2Birds1Stone

Re: ERE Year 2 - Geoarbitrage, Permaculture, and Nomadic Lifestyle Design

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I'm going to just share the link to my journal over on MMM, if this is against the rules please let me know @jacob and I can delete. There are tons of pictures from the past three months on the last few pages.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journ ... ng-budget/

ETA - I just realized you need a forum account there to access the journal section -_-

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@2b1s I have read most of this journal over the past couple of months, just wanted to say thank you for inspiration!

Sorry for off topic but @bigato, how many languages have you mastered? Programming languages excluded ;)

bigato

Post by bigato »

It's very easy to post images here using postimages.org, they will even resize the images for you to 800x600 if you choose such option. No need to create an account.

guitarplayer: I can communicate in english as you see. I won't starve in a spanish speaking country either, but that's mostly because it's so close to portuguese. That's all. I don't have much motivation to learn additional languages, honestly.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

@2B1S
Just wanted to let you know I'm still following along. Just don't have much to add because life seems so good for you now-a-days. Keep living the good life, I enjoy all the updates.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Lovely pictures! What are those purple trees? Those are beautiful. Man the pictures make your experiences come even more to life. I'm glad you guys made the decision to leave at the time you did. Time on the coast and now in Poland with all that food seems like the best way you could have spent your time, especially given the extenuating circumstances.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@guitarplayer, I'm glad you were able to get some inspiration from the madness in here :)

@bigato, I tried uploading pics with the size conversion after your suggestion and it got hung up on the first image. Maybe it has to do with my location and bad data signal here. Thank you, I will try again once I'm on WiFi in a week or so.

@c_L thanks man, I'm trying to make the most of it. Feels a bit like dejavu since I left for Poland last year right around this time. Life is generally good. It's been raining non stop for two days now, and since this is essentially a concrete cabin, there isn't much to do. We did a deep clean of the cupboards and shelves, washed all the dished thoroughly, and threw out some junk (which needs to be hauled away by car). 162 hours of quarantine left, but who's counting.

@theanimal, that is Jacaranda, which the Portuguese brought over from Brazil. It looked magical in person, and we found it in quite a few places around Lisbon. I agree that the timing was serendipitous, while it was far from our planned adventure, getting to know Portugal after 3 months of living there was an experience I wouldn't trade. Once we are allowed to see family and friends here in Poland, it should be just as enjoyable here.

Believe I've mentioned in a previous post, but my wife needs to be in NY for a medical followup for the shoulder tear in November. We will likely stay here till Octoberish and then fly back to the states. Quite possibly doing a roadtrip south to visit family in FL and escape NE for a while. SE Asia still might happen, but it's not looking promising at this time.

While Poland is a nice place to be during the spring-fall seasons....it's grey, wet, polluted, and without much to do in the winter time.

classical_Liberal

I went over to MMM to take a look at the pics. Fabulous! Sorry I missed them until now. The cottage looks like a place I could call home. Where was that coastline in portugal?

bigato

Post by bigato »

If the connection is not great, you could resize the images in your phone before you send them. If it is iOS, the system asks you which size you want to send them (big, medium, small, etc). If it is Android, you need to install an app to resize the images prior to sending. The file size of a 800x600 pixels images is negligible when compared to the full resolution; it should work fine even on a slow connection.

As for why the forum doesn't let you upload images here, it's because it's a maintenance nightmare and images fill up disk space quickly, which costs money in monthly maintenance, which only grows as your image database grows. Also, you pay more in bandwidth. That was my line of reasoning when talking to jacob years ago about how to go about dealing with images in the forum, and since it is still configured this way (I'm not involved anymore), I guess that the reasons still stand.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

When I paste in an image url, the very end of the string is something like “imagewidth=980”. I just manually edit the 980 to 750. Seems to work.

Loving the updates.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@Axel, that sounds super simple if I can get it to work!

@bigato, I'm on Android so if you could suggest any specific app that is efficient and safe to DL let me know! Ideally one that can bulk convert the pics for upload. I would love posting more photos here.

I'm enjoying taking pictures quite a bit. Nothing fancy as my camera is my 3 year old cell phone.

@c_L, the pics from the coast are from several spots inbetween Sagres and Vila Milfontes. The secluded beaches were magical. Our friend told us that he's never seen them so empty. Another cool beach, which pics didn't do justice was between Sines and Setubal, it's very wide and over 80km long. Endless beach.

The earlier pics of coastline were near lisbon, from Cascais heading north toward Sintra national park. That's like the Beverly Hills of Lisbon, even Madonna has a house there. Our favorite was a day where there were 15+ foot waves crashing into the rocks, forming what looked like giant geysers. The sound was deafening.

$$$ Ish

Since our spending for the rest of June is going to be very predictable and that brings us to the end of 1H2020, I took a gander at the numbers for spending since Jan 1. I averaged .......*drumroll*....$750/month or $4,500 for the first half of the year. Now part of that is having had prepaid our housing for Jan/Feb in the form of security deposit prior to vacating our apartment, but cool to see nonetheless. We never imagined our spending dropping so low, and it's well below a 3% WR, for now.

I'm going to loosen the purse strings a bit here in Poland. First order of business after quarantine will be getting set up with a solid bike and the associated accessories. We are also going to be doing some camping and need a tent, pads, and sleeping bags. There are a few improvements/replacements we would like to make on the orchard and at the apartment in the city. The last spending category that will increase is giving/charity. I feel like we haven't had the opportunity to deploy these dollars much in 2020, and know there will be opportunities here to make a bigger impact thanks to geo arbitrage.

Even with all of this, estimating spending for 2020 to come in around $12k individually, barring any unforeseen major expenses/emergencies. For comparison a 3% WR using March 23rd trough portfolio value would be $15k.

bigato

Post by bigato »

plantingtheseed

Post by plantingtheseed »

Great photos! Didn't realize there were so many journal entries on that site, have not been there in ages. Looking forward to your post ERE updates, with a bit of selfish reason included, planning my next move :lol:

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Testing out the image app/site.

Here are our "new" bicycles. Scored for $25 each.

I also settled on a bluetooth speaker! This thing packs a punch for such a small size, and 15 hour battery.

I signed up for a free 3 month trial of Spotify Premium. I used Pandora for 5+ years in the states, but it doesn't work here in Poland.

bigato

Post by bigato »

When you post them, if you choose the option "direct link", you'll get a link like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/mkqzPfbc/20200626- ... ize-23.jpg

That points directly to the 800x600 image. If you surround it in [ img ] [ /img ] tags (without the spaces), it will show up in its full 800x600 size, like this:

In the "Full editor" mode, there's a button to help you with this, the 9th button, the one after the asterisk. If you select the link and then click the button, it will surround the link with the img tags.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@2birds

If those asshats over at MMM hadn't banned me, I would have loved to check out your journal. ;) Can't fight the borg.

I use Flickr to host pictures and it works pretty well, although once you reach 1,000 images, then it's time to start paying a small fee. I have the hope that since I am a paying member, my images will be protected more but I don't know. All of these journals and images are kept at the pleasure of large hosting companies and I often wonder how long any of this will last.

anesde

Post by anesde »

ffj wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 am
If those asshats over at MMM hadn't banned me, I would have loved to check out your journal. ;) Can't fight the borg.
I feel like this is a good story. Why did you get banned?

classical_Liberal

Nice bikes!

I've been wanting to upgrade mine, but you literally can not find them in the states right now. Even new, they are sold out everywhere.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@anesde

I don't want to give too much away but I committed the sin of expecting the level of maturity I encounter here. We've had a few here unfortunately that have decided to leave because of dissenting opinions, but a differing opinion over there from what the mods have decided is acceptable is automatic banishment.

That leaves a mob that is lock-step with what the moderators want that has absolute freedom to say anything they want, rules and decorum be damned, and woe to the person who questions any of it. There are people over there that have tens of thousands of posts that regurgitate what the mods want to reinforce that are untouchable, no matter how poor their behavior. They know they are protected and any adversary will be banned which they openly celebrate.

That is not to say that there aren't many honest, good hearted people who contribute to their forum, but you won't find any for long that disagree with the moderators political views. They just ban them.

Anyway, it's a shit forum and if you disagree, challenge any lackey or moderator. No matter how researched and polite you are, you will disappear.

Apologies for the hi-jack.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@frugalchicos, it's a cool place for sure. We've moved to the apartment on Thursday afternoon and have been here since. Had a lot of errands to run in the city and family to see in the more central area. Now that we have done laundry, settled in a bit more, we will be splitting our time between the apartment and the orchard, depending primarily on weather and extracurricular activities. It's a 25 minute bike ride between the two (maybe longer with SO who is new to biking, and faster solo on a better bike). I think it's just a matter of high margins, in the USA tons upon tons of perfectly good food goes to waste, both from stores not selling it, to consumers buying and not eating it before it "spoils". Hunger is a cultural/social problem these days, not a resource problem.

@plantingtheseed, are you considering eastern Europe?

@Bigato, thank you! I will have to play around with it more. I was trying to bulk upload/post pictures from my cell. If I have more time and I'm on a computer it's easier to wrap each link with the correct "code" to get the full size image. I did the previous way to test out what it looked like, and it turned out it was just thumbnails as the default.

@ffj, I am on the moderator shitlist over there too, and have been threatened with bans several times. They are a bunch of hyper sensitive snowflakes over there, anything other than ultra left posts on many topics will be reported and subsequently warned/commented on in red by the mod team. I all but stopped posting there besides the journal section.

Thanks, c_L. These are perfect for just getting around the city. They are not super comfortable for rides longer than an hour, but right on the money for what we need here. Mine has a short seatpost that can't go high enough to make my pedaling efficient/good for my knees. I looked at the store today and a new seat/post would cost as much as I spend on the damn bike in the first place 0_o

Musings

Today we got back into the gym! Got a free 24 hour trial pass, which we will use again REALLY early tomorrow morning to get two lifts in within the 24 hour period. Nice gym, very clean, huge with everything someone could want. Very little people in the morning, which is perfect due to Covid. I REALLY missed lifting, as it's been 112 days since my last lift.

Saw a lot of my cousins and friends over the past 4 days. Partied hard on Friday, until the sun was back up in the sky Saturday morning, after which the rest of the day was pretty shot. Spent some quality time with both of my grandparents, and still have a few friends/cousins to see before we can go off and do our own thing in the next few weeks.

My parents were planning on coming to Poland this summer as well, but right now the EU is trying to keep people from America out. We will see if it happens, kind of enjoying having the place to ourselves =D

Tomorrow or Wednesday we will do our monthly wrap up post. Spending was in line with expectations, and investments took a dive due to market underperformance.

bigato

Post by bigato »

What I was doing with the photos taking with the smartphone was to bulk load them to postimage.org, click on the direct link option, copy the links (there's a button for that), open my journal, go to the full editor, paste the links and save as draft. Then I'd go to the computer to insert the img tags. But I think it's fine if you post them as thumbnails like you did. You can even post them without resizing this way, so that people will see bigger, higher quality pictures, when they click/tap the thumbnail.