video editing apple computer?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Alphaville

Re: video editing apple computer?

Post by Alphaville »

Cheepnis wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:05 am
Forgive my ignorance... Does that also mean apps won't work with the new os/mps until their developers adapt them/rewrite them?
Nothing to forgive, we're all ignorant :)

The problem with switching to a new family of processors in my opinion is not so much that the apps themselves won't receive support. It's that the Intel versions of the app will become abandonware. Most Apple apps already have iOS versions--that's their future.

For years now macOS and iOS have been converging. Soon they will share processors. So the new Mac will probably get apps that are currently in development for the iPad, rather than a straight up port from Intel versions.

So, say, Evernote has iOS (tablet) and macOS (desktop) version. New desktop will likely have a beefed up iOS version, and old macOS might get some mercy care for a while but not forever... or will work only via browser.

That's from what I can see anyway... I'm not a software engineer, I don't work for Apple, I don't know what their plans are. I'm just "reading the signs" so to speak, and looking back at history.

Of course history won't exactly repeat itself because Apple is now a much bigger company than it was when it killed OS9. But we know they're willing to leave the past behind quickly to achieve future competitiveness. People say it's planned obsolescence but I don't think that's the motivation. It's getting to the future first--creating the future, in other words.

They want a seamless transition from house to desktop to tablet to phone to watch to headphone to self-driving car to etc... and they're willing to quickly dump what doesn't fit that current.

ETA: a good transitional move might be to switch to an iPad Pro plus accessories instead of a desktop mac. That works well with most generic apps already, but not so well with video editing.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

There is already a framework for porting iOS apps to macOS called Catalyst. It does look like an interim product though. In the longer term everything will switch to SwiftUI which delivers a platform appropriate app.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

tonyedgecombe wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 am
There is already a framework for porting iOS apps to macOS called Catalyst. It does look like an interim product though. In the longer term everything will switch to SwiftUI which delivers a platform appropriate app.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... thanks!

now i have a big reason to learn to code swift on that little ipad game they offer. it’s for kids and a little goofy but based on a series of puzzles.

5ts

Post by 5ts »

Cheepnis wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:43 am
Basically what I want to know is whether or not the question of longevity for home-use relies more on hardware not failing or on hardware remaining capable of handling new technology for 10 years. Assuming no hardware failures is one of these more likely to stand the test of time?
It's a mixture of hardware not failing and software support. Any current machine is quite powerful, so it should be able to run some software in 10 years as long as the software is written for the machine.

For the 21 inch iMac, I would recommend the middle $1,299 model instead of the lowest spec $1,099 model. For that difference you are getting a major CPU upgrade.

The question now is do you want to do that considering it looks like there is a CPU transition on the horizon. I really don't know. They could support Intel machines forever with minimal software changes. Or the machine might be useless in 5 years. I have no clue. I read some speculation that the first wave of transition will be for the portable machines, since there isn't a lot of raw power in ARM processors right now that's suitable for high power desktop machines. So that might stretch the timeline of support for desktop machines.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

5ts wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:40 pm
For the 21 inch iMac, I would recommend the middle $1,299 model instead of the lowest spec $1,099 model. For that difference you are getting a major CPU upgrade.
im looking at the mini again. the basic one. not only does the low cost help with shorter amortization, but the modularity of peripherals could future-proof some components (e.g. standalone LG 5k monitor if i ever get it), plus due to size/shape it's also most suitable to become a linux box once it all croaks.

5ts

Post by 5ts »

I can't get on board for video editing, but I agree it's much better to spend $799 on a box that might be retired early due to no software support than nearly $3k. A $3k eventual linux machine is nuts.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

5ts wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm
I can't get on board for video editing,
right. but i’m currently editing on a 2012 mbp, with intel hd 4000 graphics, and... it still works :lol:

of course it won’t run avid, but fcpx keeps going
5ts wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm
but I agree it's much better to spend $799 on a box that might be retired early due to no software support than nearly $3k. A $3k eventual linux machine is nuts.
while i’m no longer ready to plunk down max cash for a 5-year workstation to cover all bases, a little extra breathing room for fcp would make my life a lot easier, and i might be able to transition to future configurations with a bit of—yes—hardware churn.

remember that apple doesn’t make their own components—other people make them for them according to their specs.

this is why “retina” is just marketese for “LG utrafine”. said ultrafine monitor can carry over to a next gen system rather than be soldered to the old one. apple themselves sell the stuff: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMUA ... 4k-display (though i’d look at trusty b&h for discounts.)

im thinking dual 4Ks rather than single 5k. the mini claims to be able to handle dual 4ks :D

(plus ipad pro sidecar: 3 screens)

if insufficient, then egpu
Last edited by Alphaville on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ts

Post by 5ts »

Let the record show I am not happy with this. But I can't come up with a good alternative since Apple threw a wrench in the works with a CPU architecture change. I agree that two 4k monitors are better than one 5k.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

5ts wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:57 pm
Let the record show I am not happy with this. But I can't come up with a good alternative since Apple threw a wrench in the works with a CPU architecture change. I agree that two 4k monitors are better than one 5k.
yup. ergonomics is the main hurdle, and that leaves me money maybe for a varizoom desk (because a tallish person and a short person share editing duties, and who needs neck pain?)

eta: varidesk not varizoom lmao. different product :lol:

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Cheepnis wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:43 am
Anybody of thoughts or suggestions on that topic? Reputable sellers? Good/bad experiences?
i’ve been mulling over your question, but i have to ask first:

what do you want to use the new computer for?

and have you used ipads much for any purpose lately?

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

Alphaville wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 am
I’ve been mulling over your question
I'm the king of intermittent forum activity...

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Won't be using it for anything super intense. Maybe mess around in sketch-up if I get particularly bored, but that would probably be the most intense thing I see myself doing with it. Internet browsing, email, some torrenting, photo libraries. I have a somewhat large digital music collection I "curate".

I haven't ever had an iPad and have minimal experiences with them. Ultimately I am willing to pay the premium for a full computer even though I likely won't be using it's full capabilities.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Cheepnis wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:54 am

Won't be using it for anything super intense. [...] Internet browsing, email, some torrenting, photo libraries. I have a somewhat large digital music collection I "curate".
I do most things in an iPad these days, and I’m only buying a workstation for the video thing. Apple is actually moving in that direction. Look at their marketing: they aim to replace the computer.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-10.2/

This is also with the family of processors that will eventually be in the desktop machines, so less fear of obsolescence, and easy transition to future full computers.

$300 for about 5 years of solid usage is pretty great. I have older models that still work. A $20 Anker keyboard adds better typing functionality. There are also fancypants keyboards if you’re a professional writer.

Paying for more storage for a basic iPad is pointless for me, as everything is stored in the cloud: ICloud/Dropbox/GoogleDrive, etc. Photos of course live in the cloud too. And I stream my music these days.

But you can also have cheap local network storage if you need, and run it from the ipad.

I used to have a synology NAS and manage my files with an app, but I’m not using this currently. A NAS makes a better torrent server than a computer too, because it can just run in the background. See the Synology apps: https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/syn ... d321493109 (Of course you can also run much from browser)

Nevertheless, I also have an iPad PRO for graphics and video. That one has a lot of flash storage, the pricey pencil, etc. and it cost a bunch, but it’s for a specific non-ordinary purpose, and self-funded, i.e., not a “consumer” item for me.

For ordinary purposes the regular basic iPad is great... I read on it, watch videos, send emails, make video calls, play music, play audiobooks, play games... everything really. It’s light and easy and durable and reliable and the boot time is zero. I run my life with Omnifocus and Evernote and Pomodoro app: all in the basic iPad.

Also the ipad keeps me from wanting a pricey giant phone, hahaha. We have one for shooting but it’s not my phone: i have an old SE that beeps and stuff.

Maybe try the iPad just to see? Apple I think gives you 14 day returns, no questions asked. Then again if you buy from Apple it’s full price, maybe about $350 including tax?

ps- don’t sweat the return frequency, i’ll just keep editing this, lol

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

well well well

good thing i didn’t buy :D

new macbook air, & macbook pro & mac mini with new m1 chip launched today

maybe i buy now at last?

-

eta: new products appear cheaper?

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

+1 vote for smashing those imaginary apple ecosystem barriers and saving $$$. Even with a high spec custom build and spendy display, you're going to be quids in. Windows 10 isn't that bad once you get used to it. I kind like it now! :nerd: As for the display, the pixel density of retina displays is nothing special, it's perfectly possible to find a stand alone monitor with equal or better specs for a custom build, and have a wad of notes left over.

disclaimer: I don't do video editing, so my opinion probably worthless.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@vexed87

yah the retinas are really just lg panels. i have them specced out for if/when (not today).

but no im not leaving apple lol. my last windows box was a diy xp and i ain’t returning.

my wife has a windows machine for work and i’m always having to debug it and reconnect shit because it stops working on her almost daily and it’s such an ugly horror. designed for clutter! :lol:

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

The problems I have had in windows tended to be hardware related quirks, rather than a reflection of OS specifically. So, you'll probably get a wide range of experiences from one poorly thought out pre-built device to another. Apple's rigid hardware ecosystem pretty much negates this problem I guess since that's all thought about on your behalf. Still, it's easy enough to follow a PC hardware recipe that is popular with nerds and known to work well, sites such as pcpartpicker.com can help in that regard, but I can see I don't have much chance of convincing a die hard apple fan to convert ;)

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

vexed87 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:50 pm
Still, it's easy enough to follow a hardware recipe that is popular with nerds and known to work well, sites such as pcpartpicker.com can help in that regard, but I can see don't have much chance of convincing a die hard apple fan to convert ;)
let’s cast no aspersions, i’m not a die-hard anything. it’s just that life is short, and in this brief interval i have been granted by the cosmos i must choose between doing creative work or being a nerd. having tasted both, i choose the former: lots more girls, better hors d’oeuvres, the parties are more fun. :)

spiritess

Post by spiritess »

I didnt read the entire thread so forgive me if this was already mentioned but are you proxy editing? That might help with hardware constraints.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

offline? no.

but it doesn’t matter... i don’t need much raw power either way.

i need a “state of flow” facilitated by simplicity + ease of use + good ergonomics

just getting the m1 macmini at this point