Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Where are you and where are you going?
IlliniDave

Re: Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

@idave
Real assets perform very well in high inflationary environments. You own two homes, no? Are you calculating that into your results? I realize you don't want to sell or rent them, but if you are making assumptions of double digit inflation for 30+ years (pretty nightmarish situation), at the very least you should look at real estate ROI's on rental or leveraged property in the 70's to early 80's and take that into account, since you'd have options there too in such a SHTF. That'd likely paint an even rosier picture. Or if you're seriously worried about such a high inflationary situation, grab some leverage on one of those properties at extremely low rates while you still have income to qualify, to maintain future optionality. Or slap a quarter of that 40% bond fund into a TIP's fund, that'd dramatically change your results on the bad side, while making almost no difference on the good side. You can set yourself up to "not lose" in inflation.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 am
What do you think about "attic fans"?
Commercial design is very different than residential design, and I've spent my whole life living in and designing for arid climates (20% RH is muggy to me), so my professional opinion is almost worthless (good pros know when they're in a realm where their opinion is no better (or even worse) than laypeople). Also, I've never lived in a house with conventional HVAC. That said, I'm a fan of any kind of "night flush" strategy, that's had a good track record for thousands of years. Everyone else's input sounded good to me.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Leave IDave be. I like how slow his journal moves. It reminds me of being a sleepy child in the back of a car on an interminable car ride, comforted in the feeling that even if I do nod off, I will not have missed anything, because “When will we get there?” is seemingly approached only in the fabled manner of half again yet paradox.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Jason

Post by Jason »

IlliniDave wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:50 pm
Rhythm turns sound into music. Rhythm turns life into ???
I think you got to go with "dance."

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Hmmm...I’m a natural homebody myself, but I still suspect that one old man’s comfortable rhythm might be another old woman’s dull routine.

Routine turns sound into buzz tone or dripping faucet torture.
Routine turns life into punchcard controlled sleepwalking toward smothering oblivion.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Putting aside the analogy, it seems to be along the lines of Blaise Pascal's "All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." And I think the lockdown has proven at least a partial truthfulness to that statement. I understand that most people by nature or necessity have to leave their room as members of humanity generally fall somewhere between Bill Gates and a monk. But for those able to sit quietly in a room, they know it to be a great pleasure. And if there is some old woman in the background harping on about you being an old faucet or a punchcard, threaten to send her possible corona suffering ass to the nursing home and watch how quickly she S'sTFU.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Jason: It is the purpose of the hot feminine energy to bring the chaos. It is the purpose of the cool feminine energy to bring the calm.

IlliniDave is clearly signaling for hot feminine energy even though he might believe that he is looking for calm. OTOH, you are likely fairly self-aware that you are signaling for calm, which leads me to believe that your wife must be a lovely woman with a very pleasant manner.

Jason

Post by Jason »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:49 am
which leads me to believe that your wife must be a lovely woman with a very pleasant manner.
Opposites do attract.

What I really don't understand is why Dave just doesn't spend some of his free time learning how to dance instead of most likely diddling around with his fishing lures. If he added the ability to properly dip a lady, he'd be unstoppable in the over 55 community.

Jason

Post by Jason »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:49 am
which leads me to believe that your wife must be a lovely woman with a very pleasant manner.
Opposites do attract.

What I really don't understand is why Dave just doesn't spend some of his free time learning how to dance instead of most likely diddling around with his fishing lures. If he added the ability to properly dip a lady, he'd be unstoppable in the over 55 community.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

IlliniDave wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 am
To the extent any of us can author our own situation through our actions, my actions have me effectively sitting around with a big fat Sharpie writing "bachelor".
same here -- but hey, there's worse ways to live. with time, i'm starting to appreciate my solitude and the small freedoms it grants me.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Gotcha. We’re not really all that different. I am also a homebody who sometimes dreams of ideal set of practices.

Anyways, you’re not a bachelor. You’re a divorced man with adult children. Different vibe entirely. Although it still must be true that your current practices are doing a VERY good job at preserving your solitude. I might need to take a note from your book. I chopped off all of my yellow hair, but I still look friendly. Maybe if I imagine that my eyes are like ice cubes and stretch my lips out very thin and straight, I might better be able to signal “Leave me to my solitude.”...

...Nope, took a look in the mirror, and that just made me look kind of like a chubby toddler intent on filling her diaper.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Well, it’s important to recognize that a good guy and a nice guy are not the same thing. Maybe they’re just assuming you’re taken ;)

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

I don't have much to add to the discussion, but I liked your music related metaphors! Maybe life is like a song, there is an intro and an outro, and in between verses, bridges and choruses happen, plus a few breaks. Some stay in one key with 4 chords, which is not necessarily a bad thing - there are plenty of great songs like this. Others are more adventurous, with key changes or unconventional chord progressions...