My_Brain_Gets_Itchy's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
spoonman

Re: My_Brain_Gets_Itchy's Journal

Post by spoonman »

Good to see you again around these parts! I'm happy to hear that you are continuing to enhance your life with Vipassana and mindfulness. I've started to dabble with basic mindfuless exercises, but I have yet to fully embrace the practice. I'll get there one of these days.

“I don't think learning sign language will have any monetary value for me in the future, and that’s totally fine. It plays no part of contributing to my FI bottom line. It's something which I think will benefit me in abstract and intangible ways that I have yet to totally figure out.”

That’s great. I have a feeling that when people communicate with sign language there are fewer misunderstandings.

“Stop wasting energy fighting the super Borg.” Haha! That one is a keeper!

I could keep quoting more portions of your post, but I would end up pasting the whole damn thing! I think you are ahead of us in many ways, namely enjoying volunteerism without feeling the tiniest twinge of Status Anxiety. If you've conquered SA, then you are in a very strong position going forward.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Wow, the scope of your activities leaves me speechless. I want to be you when I grow up!

I'm especially intrigued by your kayak plans. I'm a veteran of a few portage canoe journeys into the BYCA/Quetico Provincial Park (so far my favorite place on the planet). I've never done a solo trip, but have kicked around the idea of doing a 30-day solo in the parks (sort of a right of passage for badassity amongst paddlers). I've also never kayaked, but for a lot of reasons it has strong appeal to me. I'm sort of a "river rat" fisherman and a loner, and the relative one-man portability of a kayak, even above that of a canoe, seems like a perfect fit. Inflatable just makes it more so. I'd love to hear how it holds up for you in the rigors of the bush.

I've not ever heard much about Massassauga PP, would be interested to hear your impression of it. I hope to make it up to Wabakimi (sp?) one day, but perhaps as a fly-in fishing trip rather than a voyageur excursion.

brighteye

Post by brighteye »

I want to give you a hug to thank you for your journal. You are teaching me so much.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

G'day mate,

I am a late comer to your journal but happy I found it whilst it was still active.

I began reading the first page through this afternoon and was struck by how similar your position was to mine currently.

I discovered ERE 6 months ago after 10 years of employment (where did those 10 years of income go), am Introverted but have struggled to maintain an identity that pleases family members, mates or girlfriends during this time (sucks that I am so good at it) but have never had my own. Something I am exploring during the last 6 months, poorly.

However, i I read your first page, went away did things then hours later read your last page.

As i mentioned I was at a starting point of, I need to retire early and i need my own identity.

following that after a lot of research and number crunching and reading, I found myself in a place with an ERE plan. One of the books I read included 'How I found freedom in an unfree world' this helped me redefine being selfish. i.e learning to help myself to a position from which you can help others. In other words ERE.

Then I read on your last page and i paraphrase, 'selfie sun' instead of being a planet revolving around someone else's sun, be a sun that people revolve around. This resonated immediately and struck me as the answer to my (lack) of identity crisis. I did stop reading there as you need to have a spoiler alert on your first page. At 33 I still have 10 years to my planned ERE at 44 so I don't want to hear your mind blowing revelations whilst im still on the journey. :) i will have to pace myself thru your journal maybe 1 page per year.

Unfortunately; I am the sort of person who has wild ideas, draws up plans or executes them to find that realty is far less vibrant then the thoughts in my mind and an extension of this is if I know the answer to a puzzle the puzzle is no longer interesting. So it would suck if I solved my life before I had lived it.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

#057 02/14/2015 The Lighthouse

Post by My_Brain_Gets_Itchy »

A Moment of Beauty/What I find Beautiful in a Woman.

Happy Valentines Day.

#057 02/14/2015 The Lighthouse

I'm on a plane on a long flight outbound to the overseas. I'm off to travel to shed the trappings of my ego. To allow myself to be mentally naked.

It's 3 o'clock in the morning EST. The plane windows are shuttered, the airplane is completely dark. Everyone is asleep..

Except for you.

You are bathed in the only overhead light that is turned on in the plane. In the complete darkness, it's like a spotlight that I can't help but notice. It signals me like a lighthouse on a rock in the ocean...The only sign of life.

You are engrossed in what appears to be some ancient book. The type you'd find in a flea market or the back of a used book store. You are impervious to sleep, the buzz of the engine, and the snoring zombies around you. A wakeful soul amongst the dead. Every once in a while you smile or furrow your brows, as you follow what you are reading.

I know this because seated five rows behind you on your periphery is me, doing the same thing.. with the exception of the occasional glance at your spotlight.

As the only witness to this occasion, it makes me feel special, and connected to you.

You never turned around once, which made it all the more beautiful.

When I arrive back home, after my extended travel, I sift through the myriad of thoughts and experiences.

And the moment that shines brightest, is the Lighthouse.
Last edited by My_Brain_Gets_Itchy on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

C40

Post by C40 »

Wonderful post.

I've missed you, MBGI

rube

Post by rube »

+1 & +1!

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Great posts.

fips

Post by fips »

I would like to solve the puzzle!

( +1 +1 + 2 ) x 2 = 8

No, seriously, MBGI - it's great fun to follow your journal.

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

<3

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

As a new term have shown up since fips last solved the puzzle, its time to update!

(8 < 3) leads to an answer “false", which can’t be true, so after fixing the semantics a bit we get

(8<<3) and the answer is 64

Oops, I forgot some here are not proficient in the decimal system, so a more intuitive answer is 0x40

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

Namaste. :)

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I am only on page 1 of reading your journal. I am going to read all of it but I wanted to say its awesome. I like your determined plan and your honesty in expressing yourself in this forum.

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

mxlr650 wrote:As a new term have shown up since fips last solved the puzzle, its time to update!

(8 < 3) leads to an answer “false", which can’t be true, so after fixing the semantics a bit we get

(8<<3) and the answer is 64

Oops, I forgot some here are not proficient in the decimal system, so a more intuitive answer is 0x40
lol i was making a heart.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Hi MBGI, thank you very much for your journal. I've started a couple of days ago from the very beginning with your first post. I have read all of them! They are all inspireing, excellent, outstanding... I really liked reading your journal about your journey, because I can relate to many of them. Thank you for your experiences.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Hi MBGI, it’s been a long, long time since you’ve visited this forum. Any chance of an update for us?