What books are on your annual reading list?

Your favorite books and links
Lemur

What books are on your annual reading list?

Post by Lemur »

This was on the blog roll today:
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/an-an ... -list.html

I'm curious if anyone here has a book they like to re-read annually for whatever purposes.

benrickert

Re: What books are on your annual reading list?

Post by benrickert »

Investing:
Antifragile, taleb
Poor Charlie’s Almanack, kaufman (about/writings of c munger)
Thinking fast and slow, kahneman
Financial Shenanigans, schilit

Philosophy:
Letters from a stoic, Seneca
The art of living, lebell (about Epictetus)

Read the investing book several times already, but annual basis would be good. Possibly every other/third year is sufficient.

Did you start such a list, @Jacob? Did you stick to it? What did you find out?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I didn't. I do have a couple of books I reread on a regular basis. (They're small enough to fit in the Napoleon pocket.)
https://www.amazon.com/Analects-Dover-T ... 00A62Y3D2/
https://www.amazon.com/Letters-Young-Ra ... 00IJ2UHNQ/

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

Thanks @Jacob! Must be something worth reading then. Will give them a try 👍🏻

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Not necessarily. I wouldn't have found them as worthwhile ten years ago as I do now.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

I've been reading The Catcher in the Rye most every year since Sophomore year in HS (1988). Not sure why other than I enjoy it immensely.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

The only book I've ever read more than twice was ERE, and it gets better every time.

benrickert

Post by benrickert »

@Jacob totally agree. Different books for different parts of life and education level. That’s why it’s difficult to recommend books. Wil change response to ‘interesting suggestions’ 😊

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

It's not a book, but I reread the entire LivingAFI blog every year. That guy had a great way of capturing the emotional aspects of working full time.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@AnalyticalEngine

That is one I've read through twice. Whenever I think my job is bad, bs, or what have you....I remember this blog and think lucky me I don't have to directly deal with any sociopaths.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I've read this more than once...
https://www.amazon.com/Warren-Buffett-W ... 0471177504

It reminds me something in my own active investment strategy on having a concentrated portfolio of stocks; a bit contrarian to the diversify advice.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Seconding Living a FI blog. The mental and emotional aspects are crucial, imo. I love about it that it's a chronicle of his growth as a human being first and a FI blog second. If you separate the two, you get "tips and tricks" on the one side and "laugh live love" posters on the other. His approach is very insightful and down to earth. When I read him I feel like someone's sharing with me not just knowledge but wisdom.

A book I have read more than once is Focusing by Eugene Gendlin.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@ertyu, I'm on my 4th read through of it since AE reminded me of its existence yesterday.

Originally read it in real time as he was releasing posts 2014-2015, then reread it in 2017 whilst at my first megacorp job (and started getting burnt out). Then I binge read the whole thing before pulling the plug myself last summer. It's gold, but I don't think everyone can relate to it. Having lived in a cubicle farm, water cooler and all, it's right on the money.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

I've also read the Living a Fi blog more than once. Very entertaining. I related to being a spender and having to learn to spend less which I found was a position many FI bloggers didn't come from. I don't remember getting many other insights from it. I haven't worked in places as dysfunctional as the places he seemed to work.

MEWMEW1991

Post by MEWMEW1991 »

Turning Pro by Steven Pressfield great motivation to achieving longterm goals.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

MEWMEW1991 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:38 pm
Turning Pro by Steven Pressfield great motivation to achieving longterm goals.
That's funny, Gates Of Fire is one of the few books I've re-read several times.

BWND

Post by BWND »

@Kriegsspiel that is a very enjoyable book. I read it for the second time last year.

Nobody has said ERE yet? * ;) I'm on my third reading at the moment and really trying to slow it down and go through. I recently secured a substantial promotion. Everyone is asking me what I'm going to buy, so I'm responding by renewing my vows.

* Someone already did!

I've read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in each of the past three years. No particular reason.

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

"How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World" by Harry Browne - A yearly read since 2014? I probably skim half and linger on the half that's relevant to what I'm struggling with at the time. His "traps" are great and I often refer to them when talking with my friends about the false traps they believe they are in, keeping them from making change in their lives. It also emboldens me to be more "unapologetically myself" and helps nudge me back on track to living a little closer to my ideal life.

"The Gift" - poetry by Hafiz, translated by Daniel Ladinsky, I believe - This has been a yearly read since 2004. I am no longer religious, but I had a rough go of healing from religious abuse and a very strong hatred towards a God I supposedly didn't believe in anymore. Hafiz's God (he often calls "the Friend") is hilarious, loving, almost sexual, and irreverent. The writing is absolutely beautiful and never fails to make me smile, giggle, or want to make whoopie. This is the book I have gifted the most. I have had to repurchase it three times, too!

"Gut and Psychology Syndrome" by Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride - I've only been reading this one for a few years. Since I work with people with digestive issues, I refer to this book a lot, gift it a lot, and love all of the cute drawings of microvilli :) which I use to explain digestive anatomy and physiology to clients. Her gut-healing protocol is truly powerful!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ha ha ha i just found out about this book. i love the premise.

Connected
How a Mexican Village Built Its Own Cell Phone Network

“ This is the true story of how, against all odds, a remote Mexican pueblo built its own autonomous cell phone network—without help from telecom companies or the government. Anthropologist Roberto J. González paints a vivid and nuanced picture of life in a Oaxaca mountain village and the collective tribulation, triumph, and tragedy the community experienced in pursuit of getting connected. In doing so, this book captures the challenges and contradictions facing Mexico's indigenous peoples today, as they struggle to wire themselves into the 21st century using mobile technologies, ingenuity, and sheer determination. It also holds a broader lesson about the great paradox of the digital age, by exploring how constant connection through virtual worlds can hinder our ability to communicate with those around us.”

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520344211/connected

the review by new scientist which touches on other aspects can be found here: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... e-network/

Divandan

Post by Divandan »

ERE I reread a fair amount but Goodbye Things by Fumio Sasaki as well. He does a great job of outlining his philosophy and mindset behind minimalism. It is always a good reminder to not accumulate too much.