Anyone prepping for corona?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Alphaville

Re: Anyone prepping for corona?

Post by Alphaville »

bigato wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:35 pm
Yes, I do like people in India do. I use a hand towel for this.
never been to india unfortunately, but have been pondering the use of cloth with great hesitation.

how long till it becomes... “unusable”?

maybe im doing this wrong after a lifetime of paper addiction.

and i don’t know how much to ask without prying, lol. maybe i’ll do a search...

but please explain what you feel comfortable explaining if you don’t mind.

eta: i’m finding many conflicting explanations and confusing videos via internet search.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@bigato

thanks for the thorough explanation. that's much better than what i found on youtube, quora, etc.

my issue with bare hands has more to do with the persistance of skatole on skin, which, while thoroughly harmless, creates psychological issues for me. skatole in low concentrations is in fact "floral" and used in perfumes, but makes my helping hand smell subtly if persistently different. not on any broadcast level or anything, but rather upon close inspection, "the sniff test," which, again, is harmless and floral, but psychologically i find it hard to adapt, even though, like i said, it's part of our common flavors and perfumes.

i have a theory that many of what we consider gourmet foods are actually permissible ways of exploring "forbidden" scents. cumin smells like armpit, good cheese like toe jam, roquefort like baby vomit (such primal triggers!), truffles like sex parts, and so on.

nevertheless, cultural barriers aside, i think my technical solution to a no-paper scenario would be a reusable rubber glove which i can use to wash, then wash and hang dry. so as paper supplies dwindle i might explore this angle... or maybe the right word is "crevice." xD

thanks a lot!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Alphaville - You can also do both. A bidet saves significantly on toiletpaper even if it doesn't eliminate it entirely. See viewtopic.php?t=8632

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@jacob

yeah, we're already there (see above/previous page)-- just looking to kick it up a notch to achieve a zero-paper scenario.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

bigato wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:49 am
Alphaville: you won’t have any remaining odor on your hands if wash them well with soap, so I don’t know if I’m not understanding you?
right, my issue is that soap doesn't remove a faint funky scent for my nose. emphasis on faint: we're not talking the stench of sewers here. emphasis on my nose: i often can smell things other people can't.

i think all paper users have had the experience of the paper some times failing one way or another, and ending up with accidentally smeared hands.

washing with soap washes the smear, but doesn't completely remove the skatole scent upon a close sniff. even if everything has been washed and scrubbed and disinfected thoroughly, even rubbed with alcohol, the perfume remains at close inspection (at close sniff) for some time.

while the faint scent is harmless, and perhaps even attractive at some level (i'm not joking here), it does make me feel like i have "dirty" hand. which is psychological.

see here:

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/Mixing ... -5511.html

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civet_%28perfumery%29

i love indolic scents, but having them remain in my fingertips for a few hours does my head in a bit, as if i were still dirty, when they in fact aren't.

but... i wouldn't mind reusing a glove for the same purpose ad infinitum, because i know that scent does not equal bacteria.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

haha ha haaaa a power washer? or hm in small scale a dental thing what's the name... pik something WATER PIK. that would be sort of funny.

but no need for extra pressure really, my handheld bottle leaves me very clean. it's got little holes like a showerhead. most of the time the paper that follows returns clean, and when it's not it's just a little spot. of course "just a little spot" would be undesirable in a cloth towel.

sticking the hand in there actually makes it more complicated because it interferes with the water jets the stuff gets pressed against the skin.

i thought of a brush but a) the potential for discomfort and b) the need to wash a brush / led me to discard the idea.

a latex glove is really better because a smooth surface washes easily and it can be a dedicated pair.

re: the skin smell, here's a serious thread in a nursing forum: https://allnurses.com/how-get-stool-sme ... s-t249209/

(it's hard to find serious threads about this subject. many western people's minds panic when beholding such taboos--then jokes become the escape).

anyway, at this point we're really talking about diminishing returns so maybe it's not worth the headache. but if paper ends up vanishing completely, a pair of dishwashing gloves and a dedicated towel, in addition to the gear i already have, should suffice for me for the long term.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

right. mine is similar to the one in these instructions

J_

Post by J_ »

Food and BMI <23
The best bodily condition is to have as less inflammation* in your body as possible. So your body has the best starting position if you are beleaguered by a virus, such as Covid.
Since February I have increased my intake of fresh fruit such as pineapple, apples, pears, citrus fruits, berries and pomegranates. I eat only food prepared from scratch (such as in*). My BMI is just below 23. Further I increased my daily sunshine exposure to at least one hour per day (whole body), to increase vitamin D. We had/have plenty of sunny weather this year.

I wonder how many forumites have adapted their food intake, sun exposure or have bettered there BMI since the first start of this epidemic?

*{See eg J. Fuhrmann MD and M Greger MD both USA physicians who wrote "Eat for life" respectively "How not to die" two books (and many youtube explanation films) which I have studied.
I do not want to start again a discussion vegetarian/non vegetarian, both books advice to eat only plant based food, and as little as possible processed food}

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

The last time my BMI was <23 I was about 4.5% bodyfat. BMI is a terrible metric for many people.

I've icreased my beer consumption since the epidemic, along with exercise.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Add freezers to the list of hard-to-get items. Nothing in stock and they are saying 1-2 months before delivery. Our restaurant supply store has a few, but they are all over $1K.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

jennypenny wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:47 pm
Add freezers to the list of hard-to-get items.
Confirmed here, too.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

bigato wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:46 am
As a vegan myself
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

that probably explains the differences re: our previous conversation. i’m an omnivore :mrgreen:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

An interesting look at what's currently in demand re: COVID ... https://meetglimpse.com/covid19/

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

jennypenny wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 am
An interesting look at what's currently in demand re: COVID ... https://meetglimpse.com/covid19/
Cool! You can see some things had a spike and dropped while other things have a sustained spike. What the heck does one use oregano oil for that so many people wanted it?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

George the original one wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:20 am
Cool! You can see some things had a spike and dropped while other things have a sustained spike. What the heck does one use oregano oil for that so many people wanted it?
i think o remember it’s a purported antiparasitical, but in low doses helps it relieve gas :D

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

bye bye pork

https://apnews.com/d21fe9a4864971427d40fd2caa61ad34

im still getting danish canned hams in the mail though

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

A text from someone who works in food service ... 'shits gonna get real, get groceries, like today'

Not sure what they meant and haven't heard back from them. Hopefully it's a false alarm, but I've been contemplating making another run anyway so I'm going to do it today.

NM ... it's a local issue. I'm finding out a lot about my state and local government right now. :(

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

FWIW I've had a growing concern about the food supply for a couple weeks now. Reports of dumped milk, crops plowed under, reliance on vulnerable immigrant populations to pick/harvest food (what happens if they don't want to/can't come?), outbreaks at packing/distribution plants, the locust swarm, pictures of cars snaking around mall parking lots in a modern day bread line (I counted over 200(!) cars in one photo).

This is also particularly concerning, although I don't know if it's immediately relevant to developed countries:
“If we can’t reach these people with the life-saving assistance they need, our analysis shows that 300,000 people could starve to death every single day over a three-month period”, he upheld. “This does not include the increase of starvation due to COVID-19”.
From what I can gather, there are two food distribution systems: retail, and institutional. It's generally the same food, but retail is packaged in quantities suitable for individual households, whereas institutional is bulk in a way that neither households nor grocery stores can handle well (e.g. something like a 35lb tub of peanut butter, a pallet of #10 cans).

This is the logic that puts alarm bells in my head: 1) A non-trivially large fraction of meals pre-coronavirus were institutional meals (e.g. restaurants, work sites, schools, airlines, etc.). 2) Demand from institutions for bulk foods is way down because of lockdowns. 3) It isn't easy for institutional farmers/distributors to retool the supply chain/packaging for retail (that takes lots of time), meanwhile the food itself is time sensitive (spoilage) and it costs farmers money to pick/harvest the food that they can't sell, so it's potentially a matter of their own financial survival(!) to just plow it under. 4) All that food that would have fed someone is now gone from the system and ... 5) All those extra meals have to be picked up by the retail system (i.e. grocery stores and their distributors). A recipe for shortage. Hopefully the system adapts in the coming months to handle these supply issues, or that my logic is seriously flawed in some way.

That said, there could be some important sources of slack in the system: minimizing the embarrassing amount of food waste (in the US at least), victory gardens, a decent number of meal available through take-out/pick-up from restaurants, etc. Will there ultimately be shortages where people have to go without in the developed countries? I don't have a clue, but I think it might be possible, and if there's even a 5% chance of us going hungry, I think it's worth it to look into insurance against it.

Oversimplifying things, food provides 1) calories and 2) nutrition. Both are important, but in a pinch - let's say, a 1-3 month period where things get hairy - I'd rather have 1 over 2. That means grains over greens, for example. Over the last couple weeks, we've managed to accumulate an additional ~40 lbs of various grains and 10 lbs of nuts per person, as well as a couple flats of certain canned items (beans, tomatoes), sourced mostly through the sidelined institutional supply chain/restaurant supply stores. All of it is stuff that we routinely eat, and the cost was about what we would pay retail, so the total cost for some degree of insurance is basically the time it took to browse inventories on the couch. We've also got a little victory garden going, although I don't expect much from that. Produce supply hasn't been crimped at our local grocery stores in the same way that packaged foods have, and California farmers markets are pretty awesome, given the Central Valley...so I'm a little less worried about losing access to nutrition.

In any case, if this somehow all blows over and we've got way too much food that'll go bad before we can eat it (shouldn't be a concern), we'll donate it to a local food pantry.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's still possible to access institutional food and have it shipped directly. For example, https://www.foodservicedirect.com/ ... you just have to take delivery of 25-50 pounds at a time which isn't a problem if you have a couple of 5 gal buckets to put it in. It might be possible to split a bag with a neighbor. Compare to WMT delivery prices before hitting the order button insofar you're getting regular retail sizes.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Not sure if helpful here but I bought a case of RedPack tomatoes directly from the producer via Amazon. They’re not cheap online, but they’ve been rated better than San Marzanos.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... st-article

Anyway I’ve also been getting consistent deliveries via Amazon and Costco and Walmart. I’ve figured if someone can command producers to fill their orders it’s them.