Guns, guns, guns!

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Guns, guns, guns!

Post by jacob »

I'm looking at guns again. Like motorcycles, interest seems to be a cyclical phase with me, so here we go again :oops: :D

Years ago, I was considering buying a gun (or two). However, since such purchases must be part of a web of goals, I figured a proper side-effect would be hunting and partial food supply. However, getting good at hunting seemed to involve way too much effort of the kind I wasn't interested in. Finding/buying hunting grounds (fairly SOL in IL on public lands), traveling to them, mapping out trails, doing the actual hunting, etc. No joy.

Now, I'm considering sports as a side-effect instead. Owning a gun w/o shooting it seems like a waste. OTOH, shooting holes in a piece of paper at a target range for the sole purpose of getting closer to the center of the target would almost surely feel to me like I was burning money. I already did plinking as a kid and while fun for an hour, I think I'm too old to enjoy that kind of pure fun.

So I'm looking for competitions but not too expensive, eh? (Also realizing that I might have the same problem here as with hockey... all that stuff happens out in the sticks, too far away.)

From what I've found so far, 3 gun competition looks the most interesting. Is there also something similar like, say, 2 gun, or 1 gun? Or alternatives?

slsdly

Re: Guns, guns, guns!

Post by slsdly »

On the east coast, many people hunt, but not usually alone. Moose are very large, and licenses are issued by lottery. So the idea is you have a group you hunt with, someone gets a license, and everyone shares the spoils. It also helps with the issue of getting to and from the location, learning the lay of the land, etc. Not sure if that changes the math for you, or if there are similar arrangements in your region.

As for gun competitions, for me (as someone with little interest) there could only be one choice -- the biathlon!

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

I was considering a varmint rifle since we wouldn't want to have a real gun in the house, but my backyard is a sustainable source of squirrel meat... I know you said you are probably past the plinking stage but a quick search shows that there are some serious air rifle competitions out there. I mean we live in the time when there are competitive tag matches and a World Series of Beer Pong.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I have a .22 plinker to practice with, as well as a 12g for clays. Haven't done it in a while, and they are in storage with a LEO friend while we travel. I definitely felt safer having the later in the apartment while living there.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Glock runs their own (if you are still partial to those) which are pretty good. Lots in your area. http://www.gssfonline.com/

There is also IDPA which tends to be more for defensive pistol shooting scenarios. https://www.idpa.com/

IIRC, you expressed interest in a cowboy pistol at one time and there are competitions just for those (they are a little LARPy but look fun ... like a renaissance fair for cowboys). https://www.sassnet.com/

There are 3 gun competitions that are tactical and you compete with a pistol, rifle and shotgun. Probably more than you're looking for.

Also, many times local ranges will run small events.
Last edited by jennypenny on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

plantingourpennies

Post by plantingourpennies »

Maybe try turning the problem on its side. Instead of starting out looking for a gun and then a range, start by figuring out what range is close enough that you'd enjoy going, then figure out what types of guns and competitions they hold.

I enjoy basic rifle marksmanship (100 yards) and am picking up skeet, but if a range was close by i'd probably shoot whatever they offered. The moving clay targets involved in the shotgun sports really seem to increase the enjoyment for some folks.

Give some thought as to who you want to shoot with as well. Black guns (AR-15, etc) attract a different crowd than shotguns.

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

A .22 air rifle is low-power enough to be used with a pellet trap, but high-power enough to reliably kill small game. Collect used pellets and use a dedicated melting pot, pellet mould and die set. The only consumables used will be gun oil, die lubricant, heating energy and time. Can be shot indoors (silenced in the US/UK... silencers are illegal in Canada) for convenience. As closed-loop as you can get, resource-wise. Archery is pretty similar but doesn't go bang.

I find target shooting to be a great way to get into a flow/meditative state, and it is also interesting to own historical artifacts and see that history reflected in their form. Practically every aspect of the hobby is incredibly inconvenient though. My milsurp rifles haven't been fired in years, though they're appreciating enough to pay for their upkeep.

Hunting large game is typically more expensive than buying commercially farmed meat once all costs are considered. Unless in one of the areas with lots of feral hogs or alligators. Wild meat is wildly variable in quality and taste too. Seeing all the nasty little critters living on/in the caribou (their noses, organs, under the skin, in the fur...) that you're planning to eat isn't very comforting either.

sky

Post by sky »

Don't underestimate the risk associated with having a gun in the house. The persons most likely to be injured or killed with your gun are your partner and you.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@jp - Looks like I'm SOL on the distance/frequency again. IL is just not a gun state. Who would have thunk it? The nearest competition spot covering both the cowboy shooting (probably a little bit too LARPy for me being the only member of the Star Trek club who was too self conscious to buy a uniform. Yeah, that guy.) and IDPA (but no wheelguns?!) only happen (1-2 times a year) at a giant range in BFE about 5 hrs away from here. I think I'm stuck with indoor ranges insofar I don't want to drive further than 30 mins.

@PoP - Good point about the people. I prefer shotguns, but I don't know what crowd that attracts. Practically all the gun owners I've shot with have had multiples of each. But I can see how certain personalities go with certain kinds of guns/shooting.

@sky - Oh, I know all those stats. I have good reasons to believe that I (we) am not the average person though.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Jacob- What about archery?

sid3

Post by sid3 »

Also the good ol' bullet trap. Basically a bucket full of sand.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDA4MDA5/e ... ullet-trap

Can upsize as well.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

sid3 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:03 pm
Also the good ol' bullet trap. Basically a bucket full of sand.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDA4MDA5/e ... ullet-trap

Can upsize as well.
i foresee an errant bullet ricocheting off that concrete wall

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@theanimal - I've been thinking about that too but seeing as that bow project you left in my basement has yet to get finished... it's not high on the list.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I'm similarly cyclical about it, but my main concern is home defense. So I'm looking at what I've loosely heard referred to as "tactical" shotguns, meaning for my purposes the shortest barrel length that's legal. Not much good for anything else. Part of the consideration is when I stop working I'll be moving to a smallish city that sometimes rates very high in the FBI crime statistics, and an old person (I'm not that yet, but headed there) is a tempting target. And so in my mind feeling a little better about home security (and in the extreme, staying alive) is an implicit pillar in a web of goals. :)

Never been interested in hunting--I like stalking and spotting, but I'm more inclined to shoot a picture or just enjoy.

You might try looking into a nearby shooting club. They might have a pretty good idea of the sorts of competitive events in your area, both 'open' and private.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@Jacob - So, why do you want to buy a gun ? And why do you need to find a secondary reason to buy one ?

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Everyone has different reasons for the hobby.

My suggestion is buy a gun. The one you want for the purpose you want. Or not.

I have inherited around fifty firearms. I haven’t even bothered to count. It’s like an albatross hanging around my head. I keep a vacant house just to store the guns because I don’t feel comfortable housing the armory at my residence. Talk about wondering why I own guns I don’t shoot.

Grandpa’s guns. Dad’s guns. Hard to let go of a family tradition. Antiques...heritage. Ugh.

Edit - along these same lines, while locked down I’ve spent a lot of time online looking at guns to buy. While confined, I’ve done some reloading, cleaning and even some basic smithing to improve the sear and hammer on one of my pandemic protection guns. My interest has been slightly rekindled during all this solitary time.

As much fun as it sounds to get something modern like a Glock and go pew pew pew at the range, I think ahead to the day when I’m like my dad and all I have is this gigantic pile of guns I’m too blind to shoot. Somebody will have to sell them. One reason I’m the “caretaker” of his collection is I assured him they would be well taken care of and cherished for generations.

But in reality, if I don’t sell them off, somebody eventually will. Nothing is forever.

Just sayin’ the effects of your purchase will last long after the purchase. It’s really made me rethink picking up anymore personal firearms. I think if I get interested in the hobby again I’ll take my grandpa’s revolvers, shotguns and lever guns out. Maybe I’ll rent a Glock to see what it’s like.

After Covid19 I’ll be damned if I dress and eat another small furry wild animal that I kill. No way Jose.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

I have a couple of guns and they’re boring. I bought them when I lived in the boonies because there were no cops. I used to have 3 actually. Target practice is fun for about 5 minutes, then tedium ensues.

One time I killed a small predator which was the purpose of the shotgun. The revolver fortunately I haven’t had to use. May it stay that way 🤞. The cheap .22 plinker rifle that was my introduction to firearms jammed up one day. I destroyed it investigating its entrails, later gave the barrel to a relative for free— let them suffer it.

What was that Homer quote I saw on Rome Total War? “The blade itself incites to violence.” A gun wants you to use it. But violence... is boring after 5 minutes. Blam blam blam! Ok... To me it’s just a tool. A saw is more interesting. A felling axe is more interesting. A splitting maul too can be a ton of fun: a good sweat and real endorphins.

I do miss chopping trees. I don’t miss blam-blam.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

@ffj
You’re on the list if I decide to liquidate the collection. Right now I have my dad still living and the ghosts of my grandpas guilting me into holding on.

A lot of my generation in my extended family has the same conundrum. Guns last a long time. I mean if you care for them they last generations. And the kids have no desire to shoot.

We have some single action pistols for cowboy stuff. Ugh, I have no interest in playing cowboy. Curiously the single action revolvers are some of the most accurate handguns I’ve shot though.

The lever action rifles are cowboy guns too. They are mechanically interesting. I guess they were the assault rifle of their time. They have some interesting advantages in a firefight like not needing to be taken out of action to be loaded or cycling with one hand on a horse :lol:

take2

Post by take2 »

My impression of guns is it’s either very ERE or not at all, depending on your lifestyle. Not that @jacob needs any reason to do something or not but I always found it very curious. It’s emblematic of the differences between rural and urban/suburban America.

I’ve lived in both and would 100% own a gun (multiple probably) if I lived in a rural area but have no interest in doing so whilst living in a city.

I’m conscious this thread isn’t about our personal views but just find that interesting. Anyway I second the biathlon suggestion - that seems to me to be one of the most demanding events. It’s hard enough to keep your heart rate down when just standing at the range - couple that with a race and it’s a different way to train your body and mind.

take2

Post by take2 »

Also the other thing that my mind to was DIY gunsmithing. The process/difficulty would (for me) be more engaging then just going down to the range and shooting. I bought a broken down motorcycle a few years back and fixed it up - once I got it running I realised I wasn’t nearly as interested in riding it as fixing it. Not sure if you’re the same and no idea how to get into that (a quick google search led me to parts of the web I’d prefer not to be on) but just a thought.