COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
George the original one

Re: COVID-19

Post by George the original one »

George the original one wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:39 pm
As of yesterday, in the top half of the list, they are:
  • Florida - bars, nightclubs closed Mar 17, state parks closed Mar 22
  • Pennsylvania - 7 counties "stay at home" Mar 23
  • Texas
  • Georgia
  • Tennessee
  • North Carolina - bars, nightclubs closed
  • Maryland
  • Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Missouri - St. Louis & Kansas City "stay at home" Mar 23 & Mar 24 respectively
  • Mississippi
  • Virginia
Someone made a web tool to look at the differences between states. You can adjust for population & patient zero. Also look at total cases, new cases, total deaths, or new deaths. Limit is 5 states at a time.

https://andygriff.in/blog/article/coronavirus-by-state

George the original one

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:12 pm
State of Washington published count as of 6:20p Thu, 26 Mar
- 3207 Positives
- 43173 Negatives
- 147 deaths

Cases by County (County seats)
- 3 Adams (Ritzville)
- 19 Benton (Prosser)
- 10 Chelan (Wenatchee)
- 5 Clallam (Port Angeles)
- 48 Clark (Vancouver)
- 1 Columbia (Dayton)
- 7 Cowlitz (Kelso)
- 5 Douglas (Waterville)
- 1 Ferry (Republic)
- 7 Franklin (Pasco)
- 33 Grant (Ephrata)
- 1 Grays Harbor (Montesano)
- 64 Island (Coupeville)
- 11 Jefferson (Port Townsend)
- 1577 King (Seattle)
- 33 Kitsap (Port Orchard)
- 8 Kittitas (Ellensburg)
- 7 Klickatat (Goldendale)
- 5 Lewis (Chehalis)
- 1 Lincoln (Davenport)
- 2 Mason (Shelton)
- 1 Okanogan (Okanogan)
- 186 Pierce (Tacoma)
- 2 San Juan (Friday Harbor)
- 78 Skagit (Mount Vernon)
- 778 Snohomish (Everett)
- 67 Spokane (Spokane)
- 2 Stevens (Colville)
- 24 Thurston (Olympia)
- 2 Walla Walla (Walla Walla)
- 86 Whatcom (Bellingham)
- 3 Whitman (Colfax)
- 61 Yakima (Yakima)
- 69 Unassigned (labs are having trouble keeping up and Dept of Health is working to determine the proper county)

Cases by Age
- 2% 0-19
- 9% 20-29
- 15% 30-39
- 14% 40-49
- 18% 50-59
- 16% 60-69
- 13% 70-79
- 13% 80+

Cases by Sex at Birth
- 51% Female
- 46% Male
- 3% Unknown
493 new cases. Added Skamania County (Stevenson).

State of Washington published count as of 3:30p Fri 27 Mar
- 3207 Positives
- 49015 Negatives
- 175 deaths

Cases by County (County seats)
- 5 Adams (Ritzville)
- 42 Benton (Prosser)
- 13 Chelan (Wenatchee)
- 5 Clallam (Port Angeles)
- 76 Clark (Vancouver)
- 1 Columbia (Dayton)
- 7 Cowlitz (Kelso)
- 5 Douglas (Waterville)
- 1 Ferry (Republic)
- 12 Franklin (Pasco)
- 42 Grant (Ephrata)
- 1 Grays Harbor (Montesano)
- 79 Island (Coupeville)
- 11 Jefferson (Port Townsend)
- 1760 King (Seattle)
- 42 Kitsap (Port Orchard)
- 8 Kittitas (Ellensburg)
- 7 Klickatat (Goldendale)
- 7 Lewis (Chehalis)
- 1 Lincoln (Davenport)
- 2 Mason (Shelton)
- 2 Okanogan (Okanogan)
- 231 Pierce (Tacoma)
- 3 San Juan (Friday Harbor)
- 91 Skagit (Mount Vernon)
- 1 Skamania (Stevenson)
- 913 Snohomish (Everett)
- 86 Spokane (Spokane)
- 3 Stevens (Colville)
- 27 Thurston (Olympia)
- 2 Walla Walla (Walla Walla)
- 92 Whatcom (Bellingham)
- 5 Whitman (Colfax)
- 72 Yakima (Yakima)
- 45 Unassigned (labs are having trouble keeping up and Dept of Health is working to determine the proper county)

Cases by Age
- 2% 0-19
- 10% 20-29
- 15% 30-39
- 14% 40-49
- 18% 50-59
- 16% 60-69
- 13% 70-79
- 13% 80+

Cases by Sex at Birth
- 51% Female
- 46% Male
- 3% Unknown

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Alaska and Hawaii both require anyone arriving in their respective states to undergo a 14 day quarantine. Failure to do so can result in a misdemeanor, a fine up to $25,000 in Alaska and $5,000 in Hawaii and one year in prison.

Edited: fine amounts
Last edited by theanimal on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George the original one

theanimal wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:03 pm
Alaska and Hawaii both require anyone arriving in their respective states to undergo a 14 day quarantine. Failure to do so can result in a misdemeanor, a fine up to $10,000 and one year in prison.
Now that's a meaningful step!

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:49 pm
IOW, they are symptomatic due to a cold or bacterial pneumonia, but also have COVID.
I was wondering about that. Is it possible that covid-19 can't establish in the presence of another infection? Otherwise it would seem that it hasn't spread nearly as much as I speculated. I guess we really won't know until they start casting a wider net with testing programs.

Our governor here ratcheted things up a notch. Basically all "nonessential" businesses are ordered closed (no non-employees permitted on premises) starting tomorrow including a lot of retail-type businesses and barbershops and those sorts of personal care places. I'm a month out from my last haircut and will be looking scruffy here pretty soon. Gatherings of more than 10 prohibited. Still no shelter-in-place.
Last edited by IlliniDave on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:23 pm
Agreed, but state-level is what we can all easily watch.
This site tracks local responses that differ or go beyond state measures https://www.aei.org/covid-2019-action-tracker/

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

theanimal wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:03 pm
Alaska and Hawaii both require anyone arriving in their respective states to undergo a 14 day quarantine. Failure to do so can result in a misdemeanor, a fine up to $25,000 in Alaska and $5,000 in Hawaii and one year in prison.

Edited: fine amounts
Does that include US persons? It could get messy if implemented among the contiguous 48.

I thought I saw where China was having some clashes relating to people moving between provinces.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@iDave-

Yes. Both states require quarantine regardless of citizenship or residency. Even if you reside in AK or HI you must undergo quarantine.

It's definitely easier to implement due to the physical isolation of both of those states and something I wish was implemented sooner. However, it does seem like something that may happen going forward elsewhere as other states/cities watch their neighbors do nothing in terms of prevention and look to avoid ill consequences later on. Perhaps a system of checkpoints with the national guard?

I'm not sure how it would work and I don't expect reactions would be smooth. Even today in China there were protests/riots in Hubei province after travel restrictions were lifted. There's nothing clean about it.

Ego

Post by Ego »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:49 pm

I tend to agree with this. If such a high percentage of population has already been exposed, why are we getting so many negative PCR tests on symptomatic people, as they are the only ones being tested. In my state it's something like 97% negative. You would think if such a high percentage of population is exposed and asymptomatic we would be capturing that in the PCR tests to at least some degree.
Ego Hypothesis:

Mild Covid-19 infection. (There is lots of evidence to support high #s of asymptomatic infections)
Recover but with low white blood cell (wbc) count (A characteristic of Covid-19)
Lowered wbc count allows co-infection or post-infection with bacterial pneumonia (There is significant evidence of co-infection)
Negative PCR.
Positive for Covid-19 antibodies (would be if the test existed).

The combined cocktail of hydroxychloroquine with the antibiotic azithromycin has shown to be effective. Some speculate that viral/bacterial co-infections make it so deadly so treating both helps.

ETA: Reminder, DNA analysis shows that it has Covid-19 has been circulating in the US for 2 1/2 months now.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/st ... washington
Last edited by Ego on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

George the original one

8 known strains of this coronavirus, at least 4 of them in the USA.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/8-strains-co ... 38255.html
“The current virus strains are still fundamentally very similar to each other,” he said.

The COVID-19 virus does not mutate very fast. It does so eight to 10 times more slowly than the influenza virus, said Anderson, making its evolution rate similar to other coronaviruses such as Ebola, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

83 new cases in NZ bringing the total confirmed or probable cases to 451.

There are now 2 out of those 451 in serious/critical condition.

50 out of that 451 have now recovered.

Average daily tests in the last 7 days Is 1613

In addition to the tests being undertaken at general practice clinics and hospitals I just found out that in one province there has been temporary drive through testing stations where thousands of people have had tests in the last week, but we don't have the results yet.

NZ is approaching the virus on an elimination basis, rather than a flatten the curve basis which seems to be what most other countries are doing.

Measures being taken have been happening very fast and getting increasingly strict. Police have been stopping cars, going onto boats to check people are complying and has spoken about going into peoples homes to check if they are complying with isolation requirements. Laws have been passed to place people in jail for non compliance. I think these things would be somewhat scary if it was not NZ govt.

The shutdown here for the whole country is a minimum of four weeks and we have been advised it might be extended.

The govt is predicting cases are likely to peak at around 3,000 to 4,000 cases and some deaths and then come back down if things go right.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Alaska is now shelter in place and has prohibited travel between communities within the state unless that travel is essential.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:22 pm
making its evolution rate similar to other coronaviruses such as Ebola, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).
The article probably just made an error, but Ebola isn't a coronavirus. It's an ebolavirus. The two viruses aren't really that closely related.

Now granted, the critical point that SARS-CoV-2 appears to mutate slowly still stands. Which is great news when it comes to the vaccine.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Texas is requiring people from New Orleans and New York to quarantine for 14 days. It's a self-quarantine in a specific hotel or residence, specified on arrival, so not sure how strict they are actually being. Interestingly, we have a surgery on our schedule for Texas next week (we usually fly someone out from New Orleans)...

Chris

Post by Chris »

Rhode Island cops are pulling over cars with NY plates and requiring quarantine for 14 days if the occupants are staying within RI.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Thanks sky, great find.

After
MyLabs, Pune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqQVCW7yfYg
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lr01-IJsZ8
now Core Diagnostics, Gurugram https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SpX-6n7Rs
receive approval for their testing kits.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

IlliniDave wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:06 pm
I'm a month out from my last haircut and will be looking scruffy here pretty soon.
Minus 4 ERE points for a male who does not cut his own hair.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

We received notice that our recycling will probably not be picked up for the foreseeable future. They also said we can't put out any trash that isn't in the can that gets emptied by the truck's arm because drivers are being instructed not to leave their vehicles.

In better news, the grocery stores around me aren't as overwhelmed as they were a week or two ago. I guess everyone is finished stockpiling and is back to regular shopping. Deliveries are impossible to book but if you're willing to go into a store you can get almost anything you need. This might be the ideal time to do some shopping -- between the initial onslaught and the inevitable shortages -- in case this thing drags on until summer.

@all -- Thanks for the well-wishes wrt our dog. We've decided she's a member of the family (had her 12 years) so she gets the medical care she needs, regardless of quarantine efforts. I'm scared but at peace with our decision. Her appointment was moved to Tuesday so maybe we'll get it done before cases explode in our area. Fingers crossed.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am
Minus 4 ERE points for a male who does not cut his own hair.
That's probably my smallest points deduction yet!

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Abbott has announced FDA approval of a point of care test which can give results within 15 minutes. They will start with 50k tests per day beginning next week and expect to ramp up production to 5MM/month in April.

This is very good news and gives the US a chance to bring our outbreak under control like Korea and Singapore have.