Portfolio Charts

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Tyler9000

Re: Portfolio Charts

Post by Tyler9000 »

Yeah, it's interesting how rarely you really need to trade to stick to a well-diversified asset allocation. Big moves in one direction are often preceded or followed by big moves in the opposite direction, so the market often takes care of imbalances for you. When in doubt, just chill and come back later.

CS

Post by CS »

Yup. It really is set it and forget it! I tallied everything this am, and I still have not hit rebalancing band. Still!

SCV is close, but still no. (I had let it get about about three quarters of a percent high, so perhaps it could have hit it if I'd been perfectly balanced).

Also, I had a moment of regret about SCV, but then remembered a few moments of regret over gold, which is now saving my bacon. And that is with getting in during one of few losing years of the PP (2013).

Down 11% from peak. I'll take it. I'm not going to feel worry until it gets 23% down from peak. That was my original goal number anyhow.

Feeling rich was fun while it lasted.

CountHigh

Post by CountHigh »

I went into this recent mess having something close to PP (but holding too much cash and not enough gold). I thought some years ago that the PP might suit my personality well after reading this forum and going through portfolio charts. Sleeping well. Thanks.

I might be wrong here, but didn't the "usual" correlations sort of break down during the downfall? Gold seem to have recovered now, but at some point gold, bonds and stocks all were going down simultaneously, although at different speeds. In my mind I saw people hoarding ammo, food and toilet paper, and not giving a flying duck about anything as speculative as bonds or gold. Somebody might have a much better explanation.

CS

Post by CS »

@counthigh
Someone earlier said something about people having to panic sell everything to cover leveraged orders. I'm not an expert on this by far, but it sounded like a panicked fire sale that would shake out as those things cleared.

BUT... now everything is back to going up together so wtf do I know. 3.3 Million unemployed, whee - let's buy!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

There is also a big difference in paper gold and physical. Finding physical for under $1800/oz is very hard right now.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@counthigh -- When I started investing (a 100 years ago :P ), I was told to ride treasuries into a storm, ride gold out, and hold onto cash for when the storm passes. Not sure if it still holds true but it's not bad advice.

CS

Post by CS »

@2B1S
Interesting. I didn't realize there was such a difference. Wished I bought more physical back when I was in CA and it was 12xx something an ounce. No taxes on gold there, unlike where I am now. Still, I bought a good chunk then, and am glad of it now.

(More recently, I'd been holding out for a physical stash investment in Australia for geographical arbitrage, but the minimum seems to be about 50k and I've not yet been ready for that commitment.)

@ertyu
Ack! This is not going to end well, is it?

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

CountHigh wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:30 pm
I might be wrong here, but didn't the "usual" correlations sort of break down during the downfall? Gold seem to have recovered now, but at some point gold, bonds and stocks all were going down simultaneously, although at different speeds. In my mind I saw people hoarding ammo, food and toilet paper, and not giving a flying duck about anything as speculative as bonds or gold. Somebody might have a much better explanation.
Lots of things can affect assets over very short timeframes, including trading liquidity and the need to sell whatever you have left to cover a margin call. But things tend to work out given a little time. And even aside from those types of trading realities, I think Craig Rowland once described asset reactions to large-scale economic conditions as the rudder on a ship. The ship just takes a while to turn.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

https://seekingalpha.com/article/434599 ... esting-era

T9K site and portfolio mentioned on Seeking Alpha

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Nice!

Portfolio Charts reference aside, it's always refreshing to read an investing article that explains the benefits of reducing uncertainty rather than simply maximizing returns.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

@Tyler9000
Try to remember us little people when you're rich(er) and famous!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

For any website coding gurus out there, I have a formatting challenge I could use help with.

My goal is to make the embedded spreadsheets responsive so that they properly resize on mobile devices. For example, if you open this chart and resize the browser window, the spreadsheet will stay the same size and you'll have to scroll right to see the full image. I want it to shrink to the viewable area.

I've already tried using simple CSS and div wrappers to enclose the iframe, and while it lets me adjust the frame sizing nothing seems to change the internal Excel scaling. It's possible that's fixed on the Microsoft OneDrive end and is out of my control, but it's also possible I just set it up incorrectly.

Feel free to PM me with questions or ideas.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I'll look more into it, but I think I found one possible solution. It involves using CSS transforms based on media queries. The style-sheet would look something like.. (where the id of the iframe is frame)

@media max-width: 840px {
#frame { transform: scale(0.75,0.75) }
}

Also found another possibility but it does not seem to apply consistently across different browsers:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/zoom
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/166 ... -an-iframe

daylen

Post by daylen »

Using JS, the scale can be treated as a variable for smoother transitions: https://css-tricks.com/scaled-proportio ... avascript/

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Daylen totally hooked me up behind the scenes, and Bigato can consider his debt paid. :D

I still have some work to do on my end, but at least I now have the tools I need. Thanks!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Thanks to the CSS help, all of the charts finally look right on mobile devices! That has bothered me for years and it's awesome to finally have a solution. So if you've ever wanted to browse withdrawal rates on your lunch break at work, it's now way easier. ;)

If anyone spots an issue on their web browsing device of choice, please let me know. And bonus points to anyone who has in iPad and knows a workaround to the iPad-specific charting display issue where elements within the iframe are poorly positioned. I'm 99% sure that's a bug on the Microsoft side, but you guys and gals are clever.

(EDIT: Updating your iPad to the latest iOS version appears to fix that last issue. So whatever caused that problem was at least short-lived.)
Last edited by Tyler9000 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

bigato wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 pm
And now everybody in the forum knows that daylen is a web wiz and if they ever have a remote position for him at company or for freelance jobs, you can hire him and trust that you'll have a very skilled person in your team!
He earned my endorsement!

daylen

Post by daylen »

Happy to help! Open to other opportunities.

ThriftyRob

Post by ThriftyRob »

A bit late to the party! I've just spent an hour or so exploring portfoliocharts.com and have been blown away by the quality and usefulness of the tools provided. I like how it's possible to assess different portfolio mix options. I was convinced by the merits of Golden Butterfly (based on its past performance)! Congratulations and thank you @Tyler9000!