Stock Market Blood Bath

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Jason

Re: Stock Market Blood Bath

Post by Jason »

Well, if they do get bailed out I hope the next time one of their planes crashes its into a Wuhan fish market.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Roubini about the needed fiscal stimulus in the US

https://youtu.be/LkrD76wl0Mo

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Dalio wrote a thing about fiscal (US + Europe/JP/CN) too
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/implicat ... -ray-dalio

edit: listened to the roubini talk. I don't know if I'm just a bear or what, but he seems completely correct to me.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I don't have solid numbers either as its net worth (so income has been coming in) but from the most recent high to yesterday, down 24*% or so. So little worse than that if you factor in income (contracting though and there was a lull in hours so not that much worse).

I actually calculated 24.2% which matches the S&P 500 drop (from Jakob's post earlier) so you can guess about my investments! I'm holding the course though. No selling. Did a little buying on the way down (stocks and big chunk of BRK.B). Oh well. Now time to rebuild the cash buffer (want 2x expenses plus a bit, should have it soon) and then the cash war chest in anticipation of buying in at some point (but tired of catching a falling knife so...). After some reflection, I think I'll be careful about what I buy though.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

I've lost a tonne of money and it's going down further for sure. I know because I just sold some of my bonds and bought some shares.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

-26.28%
Instead of doing these updates every few days I'll do them when another month's worth of expenses gets wiped away. 10 months left.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

On my investment accounts, I'm down about 16.5% which is less than the markets are down - so I should be ok when this thing changes direction.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

My tiny speculative investments in blockchain and bio-tech are doing fairly well. Of course, kind of likely I would have been more conventionally conservative if I was playing with a bigger roll. Also, better in the red than dead.

HalfCent

Post by HalfCent »

x
Last edited by HalfCent on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HalfCent

Post by HalfCent »

x
Last edited by HalfCent on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CS

Post by CS »

I don't even know if the peak is a rational place to measure this. I had gold, stocks, bonds, cash and ALL was up for a while (well cash wasn't, which was how I got a few % low on my aa (*shakes first at the sky*)).

I mean down from peak crazy land. It was not rational on any level.

HalfCent

Post by HalfCent »

x

HalfCent

Post by HalfCent »

x

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

HalfCent wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:03 pm
bing
Companies using cheap debt to create buybacks to inflate stock price, instead using debt to create a warchest, innovation/R&D, and create safety net in case of recession or economy crashing for some reason. Those that did got bit hard by this correction/recession, with companies like Tesla/Boeing/Uber being debt heavy with very little cash, being brutalized on the stock market.

As someone who has not entered the stock-market yet, because of unemployment, I would be eager to buy stocks now. Hopefully this city I had an interview with last week will contact me back for second interview aka physical/drug testing, and I get the job.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Jobless claims up already.
Weekly jobless claims posted a significant increase last week, rising to 281,000 from the 211,000 a week ago.
That was the highest total since September 2017, according to the Labor Department.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/weekly- ... laims.html

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

And that's from last week (data ending March 14th)! I'm thinking that will be nothing compared to initial unemployment claims this week, to be printed next Thursday.

black_son_of_gray

Post by black_son_of_gray »

Mnuchin has floated the idea that unemployment could reach 20%.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I have a friend from Canada who was let go due to coronavirus. Called to apply for employment insurance first thing in the morning. 3.5 hours later was still on hold.

Jason

Post by Jason »

If the US stock market is at this point come November, I'm starting to think that Donald Trump is going to find himself getting Herbert Hoovered.

CS

Post by CS »

The deaths and unemployment and depression will not help him either.

I'm a hard core introvert and I'm finally getting lonely.