COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Ego

Re: COVID-19

Post by Ego »

Jin+Guice wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:31 am
My gut response is telling me that I've contracted the disease...
Flow chart for what to do if you believe you contracted the virus...

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Bankai wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:41 am
Inverting this, would you self-isolate for 18 months to gain 6-8 weeks of life? Probably the answer depends on how introverted you are, but for most people, my guess is the answer would be 'no'.
Self-isolation is doing your part to avoid being an asymptomatic spreader and overloading the heath care system. Once that happens the death rate for everything goes up. A 25 yo could die of appendicitis because it wasn't detected due to an overloaded ER. A 30 yo who got severely injured in a traffic accident with a 40% chance of survival would be ceding their ICU bed at the triage station to a 55 yo coronapatient with an 80% chance of survival. Doctors and surgeons might not even be around if they're in quarantine because they caught it because they ran out of masks or whatever. Mothers might die in childbirth again. Maybe you accidentally pricked your finger on a rusty nail, didn't clean it well enough, and got blood poisoning, but again, no ICUs left. And so on.

Coronavirus is basically a threat multiplier on overall health risks because it's capable of crashing the health care system and will likely do so in many countries because humans gotta human. It's not just an isolated disease that mostly kills old people (which is bad enough in itself). The point with isolation is to #flattenthecurve until the system can ramp up. Isolation may only last 3-6 months if we're lucky.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Others have mentioned ascorbic acid AA (Vitamin C) as a prophylactic.

-----

Dysregulation of immune response in patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China
https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-ar ... 48/5803306

Study of severe vs non-severe cases in China.
Severe cases tend to have lower lymphocytes counts, higher leukocytes counts and neutrophil-lymphocyte-ratio (NLR), as well as lower percentages of monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils.
Influence of Vitamin C on Lymphocytes: An Overview
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5874527/
In summary, an increasing body of evidence indicates that AA positively influences lymphocyte development and function. Since AA is a safe and cheap nutritional supplement....

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

George the original one wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:40 pm
Oregon Health Authority as of 11a Sat, Mar 14
- 36 Positives
- 420 Negatives
- 225 Pending
- 333 Currently Monitoring
- 364 Completed Monitoring or no risk

Cases by County
- 1 Clackamas (Oregon City)
- 3 Deschutes (Bend)
- 1 Douglas (Roseburg)
- 2 Jackson (Medford)
- 1 Klamath (Klamath Falls)
- 9 Linn (Albany)
- 2 Marion (Salem)
- 1 Multnomah (Portland)
- 1 Polk (Dallas)
- 2 Umatilla (Pendleton)
- 13 Washington (Hillsboro)

Cases by Age Group
- 1 17 or younger
- 2 18-24
- 1 25-34
- 9 35-54
- 23 55+

Hospitalized Cases
- 13 Yes
- 23 No

Cases Involving International Travel
- 4 Yes
- 32 No
I don't know why, but it seems to take 3-4 hours before the stats are posted to the web site. And here's announcement about changing the way they're reporting:
Beginning March 15, 2020, the Oregon Health Authority is updating the way we report COVID-19 cases in Oregon. Results from the Oregon State Public Health Laboratory no longer require confirmation through CDC. Because testing has expanded to include commercial laboratories, we are receiving results from multiple sources throughout the day. Also, OHA no longer receives detailed information about specific symptoms and severity of all people being tested for COVID-19 infection.

In an effort to get the most accurate and most current information to Oregonians, we will update statewide cases once a day.

Our updates on cases will include:
  • Cases from the Oregon State Public Health Laboratory​.

Cases from commercial and out-of-state labs.

Because confirmation from CDC is no longer required, we will simply report total number of cases and will remove earlier information about CDC confirmatory testing.

Because reporting about travel and nature of illness isn’t available for cases reported from commercial labs, we are removing hospitalization status and information about travel to a country where COVID-19 is circulating.

We will continue to track and report COVID-19 deaths.
Oregon Health Authority as of noon Sun, Mar 15
- 39 Positives
- 579 Negatives
- 182 Pending
- 355 Currently Monitoring
- 366 Completed Monitoring or no risk

Cases by County
- 1 Clackamas (Oregon City)
- 4 Deschutes (Bend)
- 1 Douglas (Roseburg)
- 2 Jackson (Medford)
- 1 Klamath (Klamath Falls)
- 10 Linn (Albany)
- 2 Marion (Salem)
- 1 Multnomah (Portland)
- 1 Polk (Dallas)
- 2 Umatilla (Pendleton)
- 13 Washington (Hillsboro)

Cases by Age Group
- 1 17 or younger
- 3 18-24
- 1 25-34
- 10 35-54
- 24 55+

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

George the original one wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:46 pm
State of Washington published count as of 2:45p Sat, 14 Mar
- 642 Positives
- 7122 Negatives
- 40 deaths

Cases by County (County seats)
- 3 Clark (Vancouver)
- 1 Columbia (Dayton)
- 1 Grant (Ephrata)
- 1 Grays Harbor (Montesano)
- 6 Island (Coupeville)
- 1 Jefferson (Port Townsend)
- 387 King (Seattle)
- 3 Kitsap (Port Orchard)
- 3 Kittitas (Ellensburg)
- 26 Pierce (Tacoma)
- 4 Skagit (Mount Vernon)
- 154 Snohomish (Everett)
- 3 Spokane (Spokane)
- 3 Thurston (Olympia)
- 2 Whatcom (Bellingham)
- 4 Yakima (Yakima)
- 39 Unassigned (labs are having trouble keeping up and Dept of Health is working to determine the proper county)

Cases by Age
- 2% 0-19
- 7% 0-29
- 11% 30-39
- 13% 40-49
- 15% 50-59
- 16% 60-69
- 18% 70-79
- 20% 80+

Cases by Sex at Birth
- 54% Female
- 43% Male
- 3% Unknown
127 new cases; I was hopeful that they'd stay around 100.

State of Washington published count as of 3:00p Sun, 15 Mar
- 769 Positives
- 9451 Negatives
- 42 deaths

Cases by County (County seats)
- 3 Clark (Vancouver)
- 1 Columbia (Dayton)
- 2 Grant (Ephrata)
- 1 Grays Harbor (Montesano)
- 6 Island (Coupeville)
- 3 Jefferson (Port Townsend)
- 420 King (Seattle)
- 3 Kitsap (Port Orchard)
- 3 Kittitas (Ellensburg)
- 29 Pierce (Tacoma)
- 4 Skagit (Mount Vernon)
- 176 Snohomish (Everett)
- 3 Spokane (Spokane)
- 3 Thurston (Olympia)
- 3 Whatcom (Bellingham)
- 4 Yakima (Yakima)
- 104 Unassigned (labs are having trouble keeping up and Dept of Health is working to determine the proper county)

Cases by Age
- 2% 0-19
- 7% 0-29
- 11% 30-39
- 12% 40-49
- 16% 50-59
- 14% 60-69
- 18% 70-79
- 20% 80+

Cases by Sex at Birth
- 53% Female
- 43% Male
- 4% Unknown

Peanut

Post by Peanut »

Guardian reporting that 15% of C-19 deaths in Iran are under 40s. Of course their general numbers have also looked suspect to observers.

CS

Post by CS »

"All Covid-19 patients sick enough for hospitalization should be given a cheap, quick, and readily available serum ferritin blood test. Indeed, elevated serum ferritin values have recently been reported in Chinese hospitalized patients with Covid-19. This is a good first screening tool for the possibility of a cytokine storm syndrome in sick patients with high fevers."

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... eport.html

CajunQueen

Post by CajunQueen »

Two deaths today due to CV in Louisiana. The governor, John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency on Wed 3/11, closed schools Fri 3/13, and Sun 3/15 recommended that everyone over 60 years of age should quarantine immediately.

In New Orleans, the St. Patrick's day parade was canceled so everyone had a block party on Bourbon St instead. Police called to disburse, now the Mayor has special rules for bars & restaurants to limit hours and capacity.

https://wgno.com/news/health/coronaviru ... atherings/

I'm expecting the special tanker trucks they use to spray disinfectant on the streets after Mardi Gras will be deployed soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKiRKUXFvwY 1:49

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

jacob wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:48 pm
Self-isolation is doing your part to avoid being an asymptomatic spreader and overloading the heath care system. Once that happens the death rate for everything goes up. A 25 yo could die of appendicitis because it wasn't detected due to an overloaded ER. A 30 yo who got severely injured in a traffic accident with a 40% chance of survival would be ceding their ICU bed at the triage station to a 55 yo coronapatient with an 80% chance of survival. Doctors and surgeons might not even be around if they're in quarantine because they caught it because they ran out of masks or whatever. Mothers might die in childbirth again. Maybe you accidentally pricked your finger on a rusty nail, didn't clean it well enough, and got blood poisoning, but again, no ICUs left. And so on.

Coronavirus is basically a threat multiplier on overall health risks because it's capable of crashing the health care system and will likely do so in many countries because humans gotta human. It's not just an isolated disease that mostly kills old people (which is bad enough in itself). The point with isolation is to #flattenthecurve until the system can ramp up. Isolation may only last 3-6 months if we're lucky.
I can tell you that I am seeing the increased workload in our hospital laboratory due to corona virus. We have extra precautions for dealing with those specimens (work under the hood + universal precautions) which slows you down and amps up the anxiety. I'll see what this week is like, hopefully we still have all of the ability to run the extra tests (RSV, Influenza) as we were getting low on supplies. We haven't had a positive case yet in our county, but it seems like a matter of time. We're a small hospital and could quickly get overwhelmed with an influx of patients. Normally, we are really here to triage patients and either stabilize them or transfer them to a larger, better equipped hospital.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

We’re doomed.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5 ... 3famp=true
“But I just want to say, one of the things you can do: if you’re healthy, you and your family, it’s a great time to go out and go to a local restaurant, likely you can get in easy,” said Nunes. “Let’s not hurt the working people in this country that are relying on wages and tips to keep their small business going… Don’t just run to the grocery store and buy $4,000 of food. Go to your local pub.”

daylen

Post by daylen »

Tactics and strategy for avoiding infection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Ae0mjMljs

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

CS wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 pm
"All Covid-19 patients sick enough for hospitalization should be given a cheap, quick, and readily available serum ferritin blood test. Indeed, elevated serum ferritin values have recently been reported in Chinese hospitalized patients with Covid-19. This is a good first screening tool for the possibility of a cytokine storm syndrome in sick patients with high fevers."

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... eport.html

An elevated serum ferritin only means that you either have too much iron (Hemochromatosis) or you have inflammation in your body. Any inflammation. That's it. Many chronic conditions cause inflammation, not just Covid-19. The news article is misleading.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Italy about to implement relief measures to soften the economic blow from COVID

- any company of any size under stress can put in "cassa integrazione" employees for up 9 weeks. What this is is basically a temporary layoff where the state pays a percentage (50 to 70% usually) of the salary via subsidy. Employees keep their right to the job.

- mortgage payments for the main residence are delayed for up to 18 months for people under duress

- one shot 500€ contribution for all self employed and temp workers

- Tax payments delayd until May 31st for people under duress

- Extra parental leave of 15 days, paid at 50% salary, or, in alternative, 600€ one shot contribution to pay for baby sitter

- Rent paid by businesses becomes 60% tax deductible for March

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I guess thinking long term, the countries that get hard hit, like Italy, might be better able than we think to withstand the economic shock of investing in people and the economy at large because there will be substantially less long term costs on the healthcare and welfare system with less pensions and less elderly healthcare costs.

So, more upfront spending now, but a lot less over the next decade. I know its a bit dark to think of it this way, but its the reality and a long term silver lining of this thing.

Its funny how we can have a collection of big concerns like global warming and how we are going to manage sustaining pensions into the future for future generations, and then a giant curve ball like this knocks everything sideways and those concerns seem less imminent or not concerns at all.

C40

Post by C40 »

thrifty++ wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 am
Its funny how we can have a collection of big concerns like global warming and how we are going to manage sustaining pensions into the future for future generations, and then a giant curve ball like this knocks everything sideways and those concerns seem less imminent or not concerns at all.
We're playing whack-a-mole. Big time. And in many ways that we don't even recognize. But we keep on consuming, and measuring/valuing the wrong things, and fucking stuff up... so more moles come more rapidly. We have to spend so much effort on reducing or solving problems that we created (or that are such a big problem) because of how we're living. Now, a huge portion of human's work and time spent is aimed at reducing chronic issues caused by how we started living over the last 10,000 years.

Here's an example of one that stood out me because when I learned about it, I remembered an exact conversation I'd had on the subject, and at the time, I thought "boy, we are lucky these days".

A few years ago my dad's teeth were rotten. He got them all replaced by surgical implant. Cost him $55k and it was a big, long ordeal. He was severe pain up until he had them all pulled. I remember saying to him "imagine if you'd lived however many years ago when there was no dentistry. What would happen to people? They have your pain the rest of their life? They die? Go crazy? Pull out all the teeth? More recently I learned that tooth decay was nearly non-existent among people eating traditional diets like hunter/gatherer or only early/partial agriculture. It became a thing only after the adopting a grain/starch/sugar heavy diet.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

That is the interesting part because just because the focus changed to COVID19, it doesn't mean that any of the other risk factors went away. Our technology driven civilization can usually handle one crisis at a time but can it handle two? For example, suppose Miami or any of the eastern seaboard port cities get hit with a cat 5 hurricane in late summer or fall ... while people are supposed to stay at home in quarantine. Well, I'll just leave it at that ...

J_

Post by J_ »

Our survive method of the moment is: sit still. We can use this time to think how to change to a more lean (logic/ economic) style of living.
for me: still less use of fossil energy, only doing sport with human efforts, plant based food only.
and how to communicate this with other people.
Your thoughts?

sky

Post by sky »

Please include wind and sails in the ideal lifestyle scenario.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

It's a good time to live in the woods.

So many asymptomatic people, I read as high as 80 per cent of the cases!

But it made me wonder. I've always thought I don't catch colds. Is it possible that I do and just don't get sick? And spread it? The COVID-19 asymptomatic people can spread it just fine.

I guess I won't be finishing up my brewery passport in the Portland area with my friend. It expires the end of the month. But I hope we can go snow shoeing or something outside.

I did experience shortness of breath and fatigue yesterday. 7 miles of running hills can do that to me.

Last I saw still no cases in Eugene, though my friend and his babies are sick with something. Sure just as I finally learn to make new friends again I can't go hang out with them!!!

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

A new report isn't real optimistic:

https://www.theonion.com/top-u-s-health ... 1842297607