COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Bankai

Re: COVID-19

Post by Bankai »

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Memphis has gone crazy. They have closed the school system (basically extending spring break). Lots of stuff cancelled. Coworker was discussing her husband’s giant purchase of ammo. I went to our fancy, giant Kroger to get some potatoes, ham hocks and wine—surreal scene! Out of so much stuff—toilet paper of course, eggs, butter, hamburger, chicken, not a grain of rice in the store nor a ramen noodle. No potatoes, no canned tuna, Damn little pasta and jarred sauce. Zero frozen veggies. Tons and tons of people loading up.

Spent the last two days planning for work-at-home scenarios. I’m the business continuity coordinator for our office and have spent 2 days lining up resources and reviewing and implementing plans. Pretty funny that every year we have a business continuity planning session—now that the shit has hit the fan, we’re realizing all the stuff we’ve missed. We’re having a day next week where the entire company logs in remotely to stress test the system for a potential long period. I’ve been scrambling to line up laptops and air cards for people. Seriously—how do people survive with no computer or internet at home??!!

By the way, the number of cases in Tennessee went from 9 to 18 in one day.

Seppia, very sorry about your family..

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

Seppia, my deepest condolences for your family's loss. I hope you all stay safe.

CajunQueen

Post by CajunQueen »

@Jin+Guice I've heard the anxiety is showing in the grocery store, the man-of-the-house was in Kenner grocery shopping and people were eyeballing his cart to see if he had picked up something they wanted. No meat, no TP, and running low on booze.

:lol: It sounds like you do know NOLA! And yes, guilty on all counts.

Oh look: “At least four people in three different southeastern states have tested presumed positive for the new coronavirus after recently traveling to New Orleans, various authorities said Thursday. The announcements seemingly lent credence to fears held among some in New Orleans that the COVID-19 respiratory virus was potentially circulating in the city during its Mardi Gras celebration late last month.”

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... e8985.html

I would ask you to take pity on the person who was hoping that Jazz Fest wouldn't be canceled. It is a point of pride that Jazz Fest has been going on since 1970. Even the one after Katrina still went on as scheduled. It would be a serious heart-blow to locals, in a way that I'm not sure I can adequately describe.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

George the original one wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:18 pm
State of Washington published count as of 2:25p Wed, 11 Mar
- 366 Positives
- 3037 Negatives
- 29 deaths

Cases by County (County seats)
- 1 Clark (Vancouver)
- 1 Grant (Ephrata)
- 1 Island (Coupeville)
- 1 Jefferson (Port Townsend)
- 234 King (Seattle)
- 2 Kitsap (Port Orchard)
- 2 Kittitas (Ellensburg)
- 17 Pierce (Tacoma)
- 1 Skagit (Mount Vernon)
- 68 Snohomish (Everett)
- 0 Spokane (Spokane)
- 1 Thurston (Olympia)
- 1 Whatcom (Bellingham)
- 36 Unassigned (labs are having trouble keeping up and Dept of Health is working to determine the proper county)

Cases by Age
- 2% 0-19
- 5% 0-29
- 9% 30-39
- 12% 40-49
- 13% 50-59
- 16% 60-69
- 18% 70-79
- 25% 80+

Cases by Sex at Birth
- 57% Female
- 40% Male
- 3% Unknown
A slight decline in the rate of new cases. One of the most recent deaths is a friend of a friend.

State of Washington published count as of 5:00p Thur, 12 Mar
- 457 Positives
- 4350 Negatives
- 31 deaths

Cases by County (County seats)
- 1 Clark (Vancouver)
- 1 Grant (Ephrata)
- 1 Grays Harbor ()
- 3 Island (Coupeville)
- 1 Jefferson (Port Townsend)
- 270 King (Seattle)
- 2 Kitsap (Port Orchard)
- 3 Kittitas (Ellensburg)
- 17 Pierce (Tacoma)
- 2 Skagit (Mount Vernon)
- 108 Snohomish (Everett)
- 0 Spokane (Spokane)
- 1 Thurston (Olympia)
- 1 Whatcom (Bellingham)
- 46 Unassigned (labs are having trouble keeping up and Dept of Health is working to determine the proper county)

Cases by Age
- 2% 0-19
- 5% 0-29
- 9% 30-39
- 12% 40-49
- 13% 50-59
- 16% 60-69
- 18% 70-79
- 24% 80+

Cases by Sex at Birth
- 57% Female
- 40% Male
- 3% Unknown

George the original one

chenda wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:50 pm
@GTOO that is correct wrt immigration, we are still a de facto EU member state. I assume the island of Ireland is also exempt. Either way it's hard to see the rational behind it.
Lends more credence to the conspiracy theory.

flying_pan

Post by flying_pan »

George the original one wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:11 pm
With the exception of Josephine County (Grants Pass) & Lane County (Eugene), all Oregon counties along I-5 have confirmed COVID-19 cases. As mentioned earlier, Oregon Governor Brown has banned gatherings of more than 250 people (excluding work, shopping, etc.) for the next 4 weeks.
I am in Lane County and I am surprised that we have 0 cases. I live on the coast where median age is 60, and also it is the closest ocean outlet for Eugene, and the weather was nice during last several weeks (before everybody started to freak out). I guess right now most of the visitors are from Eugene/Springfield as well, so we don't have it yet. But as soon as it gets here (tourist season starts in April, I think) it should spread like wildfire. Or people will be sensible enough and cancel their ocean trips. My MIL wanted to go Las Vegas (she would be there right now), but we talked her out of this.

p.s. was in the grocery store 2 days ago – everything was normal, except half-empty toilet paper stalls, but nothing else. Interesting how it is now, we will go tomorrow, probably, to stock up some fresh produce.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

They have just banned all gatherings with > 500 people in Australia. That means all our sport will now only be on TV.

Will

Post by Will »

Can someone please explain to me why people are hoarding toilet paper? Seems like it's the most easily replaceable product I can think of, especially while staying home in quarantine.

Finally people in the Netherlands are taking this thing seriously: yesterday our prime minister announced that gatherings of >100 people are not allowed anymore, and that people should be stimulated to work from home. Also, fragile groups are asked not to make use of public transport, and there were some other measures. This led to empty supermarkets yesterday evening and all of my colleagues working from home today.
Last edited by Will on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

llorona

Post by llorona »

Here in the Bay Area, it's quiet. Schools and universities are closing, and nearly all group events are being cancelled. For the first time that I can recall, several of my nonprofit clients have either suspended their programs or have asked their employees to work from home. Most of this is voluntary, not because of government mandates.

DH is out of work for the foreseeable futures because all conferences, concerts, etc. have been cancelled in SF. We'll be fine, but really have to wonder about the potential economic fallout among gig workers and hourly temp employees.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

That is so sad Seppia... unfortunately probably only the beginning.

I want to thank you for posting the information from Italy...we are estimated to being 14 days behind at the moment.

J_

Post by J_ »

Thanks all for reporting about this subject. It has put me very early on alert. So I had time to (for)see things how they would develop, and time to prepare in goods and in mental preparation. And they still do. As the diagram "delay in comparison to Lombardy" helps to forsee developments in countries like the Netherlands, Austria and the UK and perhaps in parts of the USA.
It would be helpful to work on some scenarios how the near future (in weeks or months) in diverse countries or (federal) states would possible to develop. Will/Can some of us react?

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

Will wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:55 am
Can someone please explain to me why people are hoarding toilet paper? Seems like it's the most easily replaceable product I can think of, especially while staying home in quarantine.
The TP thing turned into a self fulfilling bubble. It started with news of Hong Kong panic TP buying. So then people here started to panic buy TP, which created a real TP shortage and then no one could buy TP.

Sure having some extra TP isn't a bad idea but it's become so far beyond that. :lol:

C40

Post by C40 »

Just like after 9-11 attacks. Some folks declared it would cause a gas shortage. Then a bunch of folks went out to buy gas that day around noon I think. Then people heard there is a run on gas. Then a lot more people rushed out to buy gas. My college dorm room mate did so. I was saying "no, don't worry, there won't be a shortage. And you don't even need more gas. You walk to class!". He went and waited in line at a gas station. There was no shortage other than maybe for one day caused by folks that rushed out.

In the U.S., when something bad happens, one of the things running through people's heads is "don't just stand there, do something". In some cases, that's great. In others, they should be thinking "don't do something, just stand there". (Or, just relax/think/?)

I think I'll never forget when a member of one my teams at work - an engineer at the factory said while discussing some problem "ok we need to remember here that 'doing nothing' is always an option we should consider'". I've made "doing nothing" into one of my life strategies.

Ego

Post by Ego »

We should start one with lentils. Arrive before Costco opens and ask everyone in line where the lentils are located. Scream COMPLETE PROTEIN!!! when they open the door. Run around like a crazy person with a cart full of lentils. Post pictures of the bean shelves with an empty lentil section. Volunteer to be interviewed with plastic bags on head, hands and feet carrying a 50lb bag of lentils. Viral marketing.
Last edited by Ego on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

All schools and preschools are closed down in Bavaria for the next 5 weeks - 3 weeks of regular school plus 2 weeks Easter holidays.
Other federal states of Germany will follow soon probably, or have already (education is managed on federal level, not state wide).

Jason

Post by Jason »

9/11 was quick strike. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom (I think that's enough booms). This Corona is taking its time, creeping around the atmosphere picking off old ladies and movie stars and wives of world leaders. It's like The Fog or some shit. People locking their doors worried its going to crawl up their assholes and leave through their panicked pie holes. No control. No visibility. It's just fucking out there. And its fucking my shit up. Of all people, Bernie Sanders equated it to World War II and its aftermath. And Trump forgot, although I doubt he ever heard it, the saying that great leaders are made not born. I can't recall a person who looks so uncomfortable with the basic activity of reading. They should have told him "think about pissing on a Russian prostitute when looking into the camera." It would saved a few thousand on the Dow. That was an emperor has no clothes moment if ever there was one. I think he could have lost the election right there. It was finally time for Stephen Miller to cut and paste some historical presidential speeches and have Trump make his Gettysburg address. Instead we got a pamphlet on a new residential development. Anyway, my condolences to anyone who has this has personally impacted but for the love of my fucking retirement would someone please find a cure and proceed to stick a flu shot into the world's collective left butt cheek.

sky

Post by sky »

If you get covid once, are you then immune to the virus?

George the original one

sky wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:26 am
If you get covid once, are you then immune to the virus?
Still an open question.

George the original one

Will wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:55 am
Can someone please explain to me why people are hoarding toilet paper?
No, there won't be a shortage of TP, but how are you going to get more when you're in quarantine? And, if you're on the early side of being quarantined, how do you get more TP when the stores are closed because they have no personnel to open the store because peak quarantine happened while you were in quarantine?

So you effectively need at least 4 weeks supply on the day that you initially go into quarantine... but you're not quarantined yet, so how much more do you need in the meantime? Current USA estimate for peak virus suggests it occurs in late May or early June, so you maybe want around a 3 month supply if you think you're going to avoid all shopping during this outbreak.