COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
theanimal

Re: COVID-19

Post by theanimal »

Nvm.

Edited: Not widely confirmed news

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

First example of virus impacting our close ones.
Best friend of my uncle passed today, his wife also in critical condition.
Walked around the park behind our apartment today, crossed 4 people in an hour or so, we kept our distance.
If the virus “lives” three hours in the air we are fucked.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CS

Post by CS »

@Seppia So sorry for you and your uncle and his friend.

@Stahlmann Sorry for that horrible work culture. Hard to advise another, but I'd look for another job if I could afford it in that situation.

naturelover

Post by naturelover »

Sounds like a terrible place to work. Probably time to look elsewhere.

CajunQueen

Post by CajunQueen »

Received emails from two different federal credit unions, one in Louisiana and one in Texas encouraging the use of online banking and alert members that there may be branch closures for a time. I wonder what that means for safety deposit box access?

Email from J. C. Penney CEO outlining their plan going forward--cleaning the stores and encouraging team members to stay home if sick. Our local indoor kids playspace sent an email out explaining their cleaning procedures and that one location will be closing permanently. All local libraries in my area are suspending children's storytimes.

No confirmed case in my county in Texas yet. SXSW is canceled in Austin. There was a confirmed case of a Dell employee but he is a resident of India and only worked for a short time in Round Rock, TX.

I am watching Louisiana carefully, Mardi Gras was two weeks ago.

@Seppia I am so sorry to hear about a death so close to your family. Thanks for your updates, I appreciate reading them.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Last edited by Stahlmann on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Lying to oneself perpetuates those told by others. Life is too short to work for assholes. I can personally attest that being FI and using an ERE philosophy give the freedom to walk away from such BS.

@Seppia
My condolences to you and your family; stay safe.

* Edited to remove quote of above post by request
Last edited by Frita on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

@Stahlmann: is this not exactly the type of greedy capitalism you are so much against? I'd definitely get another job, no point staying in place where you are not respected and your health (and life) is willingly put at risk for profit.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Ohio Health Department Director says that evidence of community spread indicates that 1% of Ohioans have the virus... That's 117,000 people

https://twitter.com/Tylerjoelb/status/1 ... 4131760129

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

@CajunQueen: Shit in NOLA is just starting to get real. Walmart is out of toilet paper and starting to sell out of canned goods and pasta. The average person still doesn't give a shit though and outside it's pretty much BAU. I think it's going to be fucking bad here, a lot of poor people, a lot of service industry that lives month to month, a lot of petty greed, a lot of short sightedness and a lot of unhealthy people.

Mardi Gras also fell perfectly in the time period where the disease had escaped China but not that many people had fallen ill, so no one was worried. There was likely massive exposure.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

bigato wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:47 pm
I've not been training jiu jitsu for a while now, lazyness coupled with a good excuse. Today I just heard that the classes are suspended until monday for precaution.
I'm still training but I wonder for how much longer. My son trains as well.

Tom Hanks and his wife just came to Australia for a trip and have picked it up. They've been out performing (his wife at the Sydney Opera House) and eating out and having people take selfie's with them. Now they are in isolation however they must have spread it far and wide.

My favourite sport started last night. There was a massive crowd at the game. I wonder how this season will progress.

My wife is also paranoid and she has been asking to WFH for years unsuccessfully. I think she was ready to quit and so know they are allowing her to WFH 2 days per week.

The markets are crashing and I have sell orders on a decent amount of my bonds position. I'll be looking to buy more stocks now.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

My husband stopped by the grocery store to pick up bread and milk. Apparently it took him 45 minutes to wind through to checkout.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

The United States Of America tested 8 people on March 10th.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Seppia - That looks like they just stopped reporting unless the data lags by 2 days.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

George the original one wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Oregon Health Authority as of 10a Wed, Mar 11
- 19 Positives
- 286 Negatives
- 62 Pending
- 220 Currently Monitoring
- 328 Completed Monitoring or no risk

Cases by County
- 1 Deschutes (Bend)
- 1 Douglas (Roseburg)
- 2 Jackson (Medford)
- 1 Klamath (Klamath Falls)
- 2 Marion (Salem)
- 1 Multnomah (Portland)
- 1 Polk (Dallas)
- 2 Umatilla (Pendleton)
- 8 Washington (Hillsboro)

Cases by Age Group
- 1 17 or younger
- 1 18-24
- 0 25-34
- 6 35-54
- 11 55-74

Hospitalized Cases
- 9 Yes
- 10 No

Cases Involving International Travel
- 3 Yes
- 16 No
With the exception of Josephine County (Grants Pass) & Lane County (Eugene), all Oregon counties along I-5 have confirmed COVID-19 cases. As mentioned earlier, Oregon Governor Brown has banned gatherings of more than 250 people (excluding work, shopping, etc.) for the next 4 weeks.

Oregon Health Authority as of 10a Thu, Mar 12
- 24 Positives
- 317 Negatives
- 96 Pending
- 252 Currently Monitoring
- 328 Completed Monitoring or no risk

Cases by County
- 1 Clackamas (Oregon City)
- 1 Deschutes (Bend)
- 1 Douglas (Roseburg)
- 2 Jackson (Medford)
- 1 Klamath (Klamath Falls)
- 2 Linn (Albany)
- 2 Marion (Salem)
- 1 Multnomah (Portland)
- 1 Polk (Dallas)
- 2 Umatilla (Pendleton)
- 10 Washington (Hillsboro)

Cases by Age Group
- 1 17 or younger
- 1 18-24
- 0 25-34
- 7 35-54
- 15 55+

Hospitalized Cases
- 11 Yes
- 13 No

Cases Involving International Travel
- 3 Yes
- 21 No
Last edited by George the original one on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

George the original one

jacob wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:09 pm
@Seppia - That looks like they just stopped reporting unless the data lags by 2 days.
Footnote says:
‡ Data during this period are pending.

Could also be they ran out of testing material after giving various states (Oregon) supplies?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

That may just be on the federal level and for those federally approved testing centers, which are few. University of Washington Virology lab has been completing over 1000 tests a day for the past week. They post all of their updates on their twitter page

George the original one

Conspiracy theory I saw today: Trump exempted Great Britain from the travel restrictions because he owns many more properties there than he does in continental Europe.

The semi-official reason I saw given for exempting Great Britain from the travel restrictions is due to the Schengen rule, abolishing border checks within the EU. Realistically, though, as I understand it, the UK still must admit EU citizens and their family members unless there is a criminal/unlawful attempt to enter the UK, so the UK has no special barrier against disease coming from continental Europe.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@GTOO that is correct wrt immigration, we are still a de facto EU member state. I assume the island of Ireland is also exempt. Either way it's hard to see the rational behind it.