Anyone prepping for corona?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
ertyu

Re: Anyone prepping for corona?

Post by ertyu »

@zaf @fiby, we could combine the best of both worlds and wash ass with moistened hand + soap, then wash hands with soap once again and dry ass with towel. In northern climates, air-drying wouldn't be too practical. We've kinda gone off-topic, but it seems to me this method is more ERE-friendly. Kinda like freeganism, but for toilet paper. Only use when it's available for free or you're outside of the house and there's no other options, in all other cases, wash your damn ass lol

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

@bigato thx

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I finished up my stockpiling, then spent all day yesterday throwing up. Must have caught a stomach bug. I guess my attempt to stockpile to avoid getting sick was an epic fail. :lol:

I delivered care packages to family today. Half of them asked what rules they needed to follow to protect my son and the other half said things like 'quarantine doesn't mean you can't see your family.' :roll: I didn't bother arguing since I don't know yet if it will be necessary but I get the feeling the virus is going to kill some relationships even if none of us catch it.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I've already told friends and family I am going to self isolate this spring, look for me to check in this summer.

Sometimes it helps to set expectations early, and low. But then, I tend to be an extreme introvert, anyway. Not seeing me for a few months is pretty common, even without plague about.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

It's getting harder to prep for this now. I went to Costco yesterday, and they were 100% sold out of everything canned, all rice, flour, TP, paper towels, etc. Even packs of chicken. We're talking total and complete absence of any inventory. It was the most surreal thing I had ever seen.

Luckily, smaller outlets like Target and Walmart still have some stock. But buying things in bulk is nigh impossible now.

I'm starting to see the benefits of storing 6 months to a year of staple good at once now. If the plague doesn't get you, the shortages will. :?

llorona

Post by llorona »

Ordered a bunch of non-perishable food online from Walmart last week. Since we live in earthquake country, we needed to stock up on emergency supplies anyway. Haven't been to Costco, but husband was at Trader Joe's yesterday and said it appeared normal, except for the lack of hand sanitizer.

My husband gave me a Japanese bidet toilet seat for my birthday. It works like a charm, so no TP needed. Before this, I used a medical irrigation bottle like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Perineal ... B01M2BKNLE

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Cannot persuade parents to prep or take precautions. "If it comes here, it comes." Sigh.

Alice_AU

Post by Alice_AU »

Completely unprepared. Down to the last four toilet paper rolls, and nowhere to get more from.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

George the original one wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:43 pm
Notice how the rate cut did not buoy the market today for more than 30 minutes? In other words, the traders feel that if the Fed Reserve is thinking it's time to panic, then it must definitely be time to get out of the market.

I'm sure Trump is having a fit now!
and it keeps tanking...

AnalyticalEngine

It seems like the big box retailers are way more sold out than smaller outlets. I went to Sprouts today and they were well stocked. I even raided their discount aisle and got a bunch of soba noodles and mirin on a great sale.

Office Depot or Staples are good and overlooked. They sell TP and gel sanitizer.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Tesco's this evening was well stocked in everything, a few people were obviously stockpiling stuff but generally it was business as usual. Though maybe people are waiting for the weekend.

I have enough household basics for about 2 months, food 2 weeks or so.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

AnalyticalEngine wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:25 pm
It seems like the big box retailers are way more sold out than smaller outlets.
Because people are buying in bulk and shopping for lowest price.

Office Depot or Staples are good and overlooked. They sell TP and gel sanitizer.
Good tip! If my wife can't find TP this weekend from our favorite supplier, I might try them. We have a favorite brand since the TP needs to be compatible with a septic tank and not all brands are.

chenda

Post by chenda »

My sisters husband uses a wholesalers for work and they were well supplied with everything except hand sanitizer.
I'm not sure how far I should take stockpiling. Maybe 2 months of household essentials, 1 month of food and seek to shop regularly to maintain this in perpetuity until the crisis subsides.

Jean

Post by Jean »

fiby41 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:36 pm
The idea is to moisten your left hand with water and then use it to scrape the water soluble remnants of excreta after which hands are washed with ash/soap.
It seems to be a preference thing with either side finding it difficult to adopt the other way of doing things.
I had no trouble switching from paper to water. I still use paper in winter when my outside pipe might freeze. With water, you're ass is cleaner and you never forget to wash your hands. Half a litter is usually enough.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Jason wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:43 am
I would think toilet paper and chocolate would provide better currency in that area. The necessity/luxury dynamic desired in disruptive situations like internment, hostage situations, diaspora etc. where people want to be reminded of comfortable domesticity. Unless its a regional thing and you happen to live in an area where find yourself amongst some hard living women who want to wake up only to get drunk and smoke.
tank for thé advice, i don't have your experience with pimping.

AnalyticalEngine

How much food have you all stocked for this?

chenda

Post by chenda »

About 3 weeks for food, 2 months for household essentials and everything else I regularly buy. You dont need much for a single person. Family about the same. I feel reasonably well prepared but I'll keep a close eye on supermarkets and restock regularly if I can. And keeping the car at least half full of diesel as I can see that been the next thing.

The panic seems to have started to set in here today.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I have been contemplating doing a fast if the situation at the stores gets critical. In terms of "stores," I'm quite well "prepped" haha. Joke aside, this situation is making me appreciate the importance of being able to fast (having the skills and knowledge to sustain a longer fast - e.g. electrolytes use, refeeding, etc.).

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

chenda wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:39 am
And keeping the car at least half full of diesel as I can see that been the next thing.

Good idea, I'll refill today.
I have stocked a bit more essentials, now up to about two months of food and enough soap to last for three months even at the current higher usage rate