COVID-19

Health, Fitness, Insurance, ...
naturelover

Re: COVID-19

Post by naturelover »

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I somehow don't think grocery store access is going to be limited. Best be prepared, but I can't see it elevating to the point we can't even go to the grocery store. In my instance I live with a healthcare worker so if anyone is going to get it we will.

In that case, I won't be sketched out by going to the grocery store unless everyone is locked from going to their homes.

With that said, I will likely get extra medication and food from Costco this weekend. What are all you stocking up on? I'm thinking rice, dried beans, frozen veggies. Are people preparing for no water/power access too? If that happens, I imagine our economy and businesses will be devasted.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I piled on rice, beans, lentils, polenta, pasta, canned tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and bleach to treat rain or river water. Tap should keep workin in my village without power, but the water might not be disinfected anymore.
In case of power shortage, trading farm work for milk and other farm produce should be easy.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

The loss of water and power will create a far bigger [public health] problem so that will get priority. More worrisome would be a broken water pipe in your home and the likes insofar the plumber doesn't want to come visit. Having access to some stored water and some electricity (at least lighting or charging comms) is always useful even it's just to deal with something minor like a power outage or a broken pipe.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@Jean- I think Switzerland stockpiles a lot of stuff anyway ?

@naturelover - hand sanitizer, liquid soap, disinfectant surface wipes and the like. I'm going to have a few weeks of food stored up, as much to avoid queues and chaos if more people start panic buying.

My dad is flying to Portugal this weekend, he's 82. Fit and healthy but I'm going to load him up with hand sanitizer and try and convince him to use it lots.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@CS

"Personally, I'm rooting for a big recession in Q2 so we have a chance of getting flipping the leadership in the States. The dropping stock market is giving me hope."

I think our best chance is for the corona virus and the economy to form a symbiotic death spiral where both feed off of each other. If we can achieve a couple thousand infections and hopefully a couple hundred deaths, and the accompanying tanking of the economy, that would really send a message that Pence and Trump are incapable of leading this country. At that point, the booming Obama economy could handily be reclassified as the Trump economy and his reelection efforts would be stymied.

The economy, low occurrence of infection, and Trump efforts to fund and fight this outbreak is really hurting our chances to get anybody but him elected to the Presidency. God-willing, although time is running out, this situation can be reversed for the common good.

I know this is petty and not worth my time, but when I hear people who would readily wish hardship on their countrymen because they hate the President, I find it almost unbelievable. Maybe we can start with you losing your job and your investments? Or is that a burden for someone else to bear?

You may be stating these opinions in the academic sense, that yes, a downturn would hurt Trump, but to be rooting for one?

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

It's not losing access to groceries I'm concerned about. It's more needing to go on a supply run and catching covid on the supply run. Even delivery runs the risk of the driver or goods being infected. It's better practice to stock up now so you don't have to leave your house and risk infection when covid rolls into town.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

@ffj, not my country and therefore less of my circus/monkeys than your guys', but on a world-wide scale, a downturn is inevitable. I am thus rooting for a downturn because the sooner it happens, the less bad it will be (qe -> gvt borrows because why not, corporates borrow to buy back => the more time passes, the bigger the amount of debt needed to keep this afloat, and the bigger the debt, the nastier the crash).

ncovid is everyone's circus and monkeys, and i definitely don't wish illness on anyone. Though friends of mine have been known to lay on the black humor, "at least it'll help with the population pyramid" and "don't buy property now, wait for the grannies to go, that's a lot of house on the market" style.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Trying to summarize the numbers posted here and elsewhere:

- Odds of infection are impossible to calculate because it depends on personal hygiene and social exposure.
- It looks like after initial infection, the odds of developing a serious infection are 1 in 25, possibly 1 in 20.
- Of those who have a serious infection, 60% die. Lung damage (e.g. smoking) and being over 50 put you at higher risk of dying.
- Infection does not grant immunity; at least one reported case of reinfection after being cured.

So... keep washing your hands, especially if you're prone to touching your face!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

Apparently Constellation Brands (NYSE:STZ), the makers of Corona beers, are experiencing some problems because ... awwfuckit ... I don't... do really I need to ... humans!

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I feel like the Chinese govt needs to be held accountable for this somehow. Such as by legal action/reparations/damages.

It seems that this all stems from bad hygiene practices, problem eating habits and insufficient medical standards, all from a lack of proper regulation. China is a risk to the whole world and this sort of shit keeps coming out of China.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@jacob- Some of their ads have appeared for me on Twitter. I looked at the replies and they were full of outrage from people who thought Corona was being disrespectful and crass for advertising at this time...

Ego

Post by Ego »

George the original one wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:33 pm

- Infection does not grant immunity; at least one reported case of reinfection after being cured.
Some experts have since chimed in on this. Since I was the one to post that I think I should correct it. They've outlined several possible explanations for what seemed to be reinfection including the sampling for the negative test may have been insufficient.

Fun fact I didn't know, nucleic acid based tests can produce positive results (for instance measles RNA detection) for months after the person has stopped shedding viruses.

So, good news that it is probably not reinfection but bad news that the tests are not black and white. With no way to definitively determine if a person is not shedding viruses the safest thing to do is extend quarantine which multiplies disruption.
-

chenda

Post by chenda »

A good marketing opportunity perhaps though.

Corona: Miles away from China

ToFI

Post by ToFI »

@Ego

A possibility is: for the "cured" patients, they were not cured at all. They were almost cured and then released too early thus caused reinfection.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

I could see it being easier to contain in the US. Hygeine practices while I was in China, Shenzhen no less which is one of the most advanced and newest cities there, were extremely poor. No soap in public restrooms, people "wash" their hands sometimes after using the restroom, and wash in quotation marks because they would just rinse quickly and shake them off. Huge population density, talking 100s of people on each block's sidewalk in the suburbs, maybe thousands outside on each block downtown.

Food was left outside on the ground on a blanket to dry, kids peeing and pooping in the street. Spitting everywhere, no covering the mouth when coughing..

I told my friend there (who was on lockdown) in the last few weeks, "Stay safe man!"

"Okay, I will," he replied.

"Make sure you wash your hands," I added.

"Why?" he asked.

bigato

Post by bigato »

The virus landed in my city, the capital of Brazil. We have five "suspect" cases of people who have the symptoms and came from Italy some days ago. No one coffing at the job yet. This comes with an interesting timing, just as the summer is ending.

I probably have enough to stay home for six months or more, given that the electricity/water supply keeps running. Plenty of vaccum-packed brown rice and knowledge about edible vegetables from nearby green areas. The city has a huge lake which is not so far from here, so I don't think water supply would be a problem, if at least I have the means to boil it. I'll start getting worried if we start going mad max, at which point I'd leave in my bicycle and find somewhere isolated in the woods. Other than that, I'm not worried. My mother may die if she gets it though, as a life-long smoker that is over 60 and is now already sick in the kidneys due to bad diet. She lives far from here, with a sister of mine.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

Keep in mind the viruses being shed post infection make not be active viruses. The test only picks up viral RNA, but that doesn't necessarily mean the virus is active, that is, that it can cause infection.

You might imagine I have a bunch of a bunch of virus particles sitting on a desk and I hit them with a disinfectant. The disinfectant deactivates the viruses so they don't cause disease, but the dead virus particles still exist on the table and could be detected in an RNA test.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

@bigato - Im Southern Hemisphere also and am worried about being here through the whole winter while this thing runs rampant.
Does Brazil get cold in winter like NZ though? The city you are in?

bigato

Post by bigato »

No, it doesn't get much cold, but the absolute temperatures in my opinion are not what matters. Thing is, as the relative temperatures drop, human bodies have to adapt to the new climate and it seems that it is in this moment of change that we have the waves of infections. At least it is how it seems to me. Last year, in June, I had H1N1, and so did a lot of coworkers. For more than one month, you'd hear people coffing all around. I'm hoping to be able to take better care of my own health this year, eating better and exercising. Last year my immune system was not up to the challenge.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Yeah Im contemplating leaving NZ before winter. Temporarily or permanently. Its going to be so hideous here when its cold. Housing here is disgusting also, so its cold and damp inside. Hard to hide from cold weather. Would be so unpleasant being sick and with lots of people sick. Thinking maybe of going to Queensland or Northern NSW in Australia for a while perhaps, where it remains warm in "winter"