7Wannabe5- Take 6

Where are you and where are you going?
7Wannabe5

7Wannabe5- Take 6

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

2019 I spent too much on, hopefully, one time expenses of my Daughter's Wedding plus First Car I Bought Broke Down Completely So Bought Two Cars In One Year (fail), so increase to net worth pretty much nil. My current spending is around $540 plus still mooching shelter. About $100 of the $540 could be trimmed, so if/when I have to pay for shelter I should still be hanging out there at my typical $800-$850 even if I keep the new car.

Over the holidays, I was chatting with one of my younger sisters who was the popular jock party-person type in her youth. Like me, she is now over 50. I said something about looking like Mrs. Santa Claus and she replied in your usual brusque upbeat manner "You don't look anything like Mrs. Santa Claus. That is just your way of expressing the fact that you are now invisible because middle-aged woman." I laughed and had to agree,"Right, Mrs. Santa Claus is like being invisible, but people sense a bit of warm vanilla in the air when you are present-yet-not-seen. That's what I am attempting to convey."

Then she presented her case outlining the benefits of being invisible when it comes to getting away with shit. In her case, or preferred lifestyle, being-able-to-get-away-with-shit-because-she-is-now-invisible means that she can arrive completely stoned for kickball league game and/or dance at 1 am at club frequented by people in their early 20s and it is now kind of cute rather than pathetic, because clear she is not attempting to pass for "still young and hawt" like it might have seemed when she was just 39.

So, as I was creating/updating my spreadsheet of goals/practices/plans for 2020 and forward, and found myself feeling incredibly bored by the same old stupid, SMART goals of "Lose weight", "Earn more money", "Declutter 27 items each day." blah, blah, blah, blah...I decided that maybe I should focus more on the benefits now available thanks to my newly achieved state of invisibility. IOW, I am thinking that 2020 should be the year when I allow myself to finally fully lapse into a completely weirdo-nerd lifestyle with no regard for social convention or further care about appearing to be attractive, cool, caring, or of utility to general society whatsoever.

The concept is still rather amorphous, and I can't remember the name for the sort of design algorithm I am intending to use, but I am imagining that it will go something like:

1) I wake up in the morning and my top priority is working on my next wacky project which is of no interest or value to anybody but me.
2) I don't even necessarily bother to brush my hair.
3a) I only stop working on wacky project when slapped directly in the face by limiting factor or hard boundary or extreme under-story crumbling of Maslow structure. OR
3b) I am bored with it. Go to (1)
4) I acquire limiting factor and/or transcend/work around boundary and/or spackle up pyramid.
5) Go to (1)

That said, I will still make "Lose Weight" and "Earn More Money" my secondary order goals for the year, because most likely to be limiting factors, although maybe not....?

We'll see how the Year of the Invisible Weirdo Nerd* goes.

*First Task: Come up with better name than that.

Mae

Re: 7Wannabe5- Take 6

Post by Mae »

IOW, I am thinking that 2020 should be the year when I allow myself to finally fully lapse into a completely weirdo-nerd lifestyle with no regard for social convention or further care about appearing to be attractive, cool, caring, or of utility to general society whatsoever.
*subscribes to journal*

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Year of the (W)ierdo (I)nvisible (N)erd

Year of the WIN.

Sounds good to me.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Since becoming a nurse, I've been telling everyone who'll listen that one of the things I'm looking forward to in old age (ie 80's not 50's) is the ability to use the "I'm confused" card to get away with anything I frigg'en want. These old dudes can get away with low level felonies under the auspice of opps, I was confused, sorry. Totally taking advantage of that!

Anyway, I don't think you need to be a middle-aged woman to be invisible. I'll take your word that it helps though. Use whatever capital you've got, I would expect nothing less from you. Happy new year!

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Wear purple socks!

Jason

Post by Jason »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:32 pm
So Bought Two Cars In One Year (fail)
Polyamory>Polytoyotacamry

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Mae wrote:*subscribes to journal*
That should work because this journal will remain on the visible spectrum even as I disappear.
Toska2 wrote:Year of the (W)ierdo (I)nvisible (N)erd

Year of the WIN.
I like it! Updated my spreadsheet to reflect.
classical_Liberal wrote:Since becoming a nurse, I've been telling everyone who'll listen that one of the things I'm looking forward to in old age (ie 80's not 50's) is the ability to use the "I'm confused" card to get away with anything I frigg'en want. These old dudes can get away with low level felonies under the auspice of opps, I was confused, sorry. Totally taking advantage of that!
Yup. Maude of "Harold and Maude" is definitely one of my role models.
reepicheep wrote:Wear purple socks!
Good idea. Maybe I will dye them with grape skins like Li Ziqi. I will add it to my wacky project list. Maybe I will do it before I Go Rock-Hounding in the Upper Peninsula, but after I Copy Design for Self-Driving Potato.

My first practical challenge is going to be figuring out how to Scavenge a Workbench and/or Room of My Own (broadly/creatively construed) given my current minimalist-moocher lifestyle. I am currently paying $55/month for storage space for the remnants of my rare book inventory, but it has no heat, power, or running water. I also still hold title to my vacant lot permaculture project, because the Permaculture Manager hasn't closed the deal on buying it from me, but, obviously, also lacking heat, power, running water and protection from elements. The Cowboy has also theoretically bequeathed me with a specific quarter acre of his northern woods to do with as I please, but he is way too interfere-nik for that to be true.
Polyamory>Polytoyotacamry
Well, I do like my cute little Smart car, and it does have heat and power and a drop down tail-gate, and my storage unit has a pull-up garage door, so maybe I could combine these two Modules with a Booth Rental at Coffee Shop to meet my needs. I also have portable solar panels, a battery bank, USB lightbulb and fan, a reasonably well-stocked tool bag, a battery-pack powered drill, and a cot-in-a-bag.

The Permaculture Manager invited me over to visit when I texted him about closing on the sale of Permaculture Project, and I am supposed to meet The Peacemaker for coffee some time this month, and I am still mooching shelter off of The Cowboy, and The Yacht-Guy sent me New Year's greetings, and I now have to socialize/hug with my ex-husband on holidays because my daughter is married/homeowner/hostess, and it might be the case that old Italian guys are hitting on me in produce market parking lots, but my sex life is currently non-existent due to invisibility. So, I am not currently rating my Polyamory Project as a great success either.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Well, at least your tires are still being kicked.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

My personal spend for January was $688 including $108 of Junk I could have better done without.

First big news item is that it seems to be the case that I am now officially hired as full-time with benefits etc. Middle School Science Teacher. Obviously, this should prove to be at least moderately in alignment with my Year of the Weirdo Invisible Nerd. Pretty much depends on how much autonomy I have in devising projects and experiments for my students. It is also in alignment with my Permaculture Philosophy since I will be responsible for teaching environmental science and the school is located within the district where my daughter is on the board of community gardening advocacy group.

Second big news item is that I knocked boots with my "ex" I broke up with 5 years ago because unbeknownst to me he was in a motorcycle accident last year which put him into a coma and left him partially paralyzed, so he reached out to me in post-near-death-experience mode. This happened a week after I met with the Peacemaker after not seeing him for 2 years and we kissed in his car. Also, I am still shacked up with the Cowboy on weekends. So, kind of a busy month for Invisible Because Middle-Aged Mrs. Santa Claus Type Person.

Jason

Post by Jason »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:17 pm
$108 of Junk I could have better done without.

Second big news item is that I knocked boots with my "ex" I broke up with 5 years ago because unbeknownst to me he was in a motorcycle accident last year which put him into a coma and left him partially paralyzed, so he reached out to me in post-near-death-experience mode.
Seems like you both bought and spent time last month with junk you could have better done without.

sky

Post by sky »

Wacky projects give meaning to life.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Jason wrote:Seems like you both bought and spent time last month with junk you could have better done without.
When is it ever best practice to hook-up with significant ex? The sex was instinctively, effortlessly great, as it always was with the two of us, but disturbing plastic-coating-like lack of emotional response on my part. I also got lost driving after dark in the neighborhood where I previously lived with him. So, kind of an exercise in how much unfamiliarity five years will produce. Who are you? Where am I? What are we doing? Why?

sky wrote:Wacky projects give meaning to life.
Absolutely true. I am now brainstorming how to match up the standards I am supposed to be teaching with projects/experiments that seem interesting to me. My demonstration lesson required figuring out how to demonstrate construction of model(s) of Sun, Earth, Moon system explanatory of seasonal variations, phases of moon, and solar and lunar eclipses in just 35 minutes! I pretty much nailed it and the kids were very engaged in my presentation. I am way too undisciplined to actually be a scientist, but turns out I am very good at producing/putting on a Dr. Science type show :lol:
Next on list: Inquire about school policy regarding the use of open flame in classroom, because wouldn't it be fun to extract bismuth from Pepto-Bismol?

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Interested to know how you are mentally dealing with work schedule/timetable?

The "having" to be there day after day....

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@1taskaday:

Today was my first day, so remains to be seen. My experience has been that I am always reasonably happy on the first few months of a new learning curve. Also, the last time I was full-time employed by other was almost 20 years ago when I still had fairly young kids, a big old house, and a failing marriage to deal with. A couple more years to add some optionality won't kill me.

I did mean to make the point for all the fretting types on the forum that it was very easy for me to find career type employment in a new field even though I am old.

daylen

Post by daylen »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:23 pm
My experience has been that I am always reasonably happy on the first few months of a new learning curve.
Same. I wonder if working in tech would be much different. It is really my last hope for full-time at this point.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Oh, you are much too young to be at "last hope" on anything. Life can surprise you.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Yeah, you are right. It would probably have to be something non-traditional. Tech industry seems like the best fit relative to everything I have considered/tried (all the standard, by the book positions).

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

It does seem like it would be quite easy for you.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Congrats on the job! It reads like you're really getting into it, at least from a unique lesson plan standpoint.

daylen

Post by daylen »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:35 am
Next on list: Inquire about school policy regarding the use of open flame in classroom, because wouldn't it be fun to extract bismuth from Pepto-Bismol?
Do not forget about colored fire as an easy way to wake them up on a cloudy Tuesday.