Are tattoos stupid?

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
enigmaT120

Re: Are tattoos stupid?

Post by enigmaT120 »

https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/108647/

Another Dylan song I need to learn. And that I don't really understand.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Sclass wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm

Honestly till I read these informative posts I mistakenly thought the modern process was painless. Thanks for sharing here. Ouch. :o
Ah, no, it actually, properly, hurts. It's a needle - or 2-3 smaller needles next to each other, if you're coloring - going in and out of your skin at a very fast rate, for hours on end. Fresh tattoos are actual open wounds that bleed, leak lymph, etc. I am assuming the modern method just makes the process faster.

As for being cut up - that's exactly what happened to you, yes. You were cut up. The question is, what does it mean to you? Would you like it to mean something else?

Edit: words

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I work with someone who used a tattoo to cover scars on their forearm. I haven't asked the cause, but there are a couple dozen horizontal lines, so I have a guess. The tattoo is an upgrade. Smart.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Good point. Medical/cosmetic tattoos are a thing as well, e.g. making it appear like you have a toenail if your toenail falls out. Also, I've seen people with vitiligo who've tattooed over discolored patches

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

ertyu wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:03 am
Good point. Medical/cosmetic tattoos are a thing as well, e.g. making it appear like you have a toenail if your toenail falls out. Also, I've seen people with vitiligo who've tattooed over discolored patches
Yeah a friend of mine has red lines over the periphery of her mouth so she can put on her lipstick faster without retouching the edge. I think she also has permanent eyeliner as well because I’ve never seen her without it. My wife was alarmed she’d do that but the engineer in me finds it efficient. Takes her less time to apply make up precisely. Doesn’t smudge either.

I think Rambo’s scars made him tough (the ones applied in the prison camp flashback with the Sly Stallone scream). I was always confused about why my friends and family think my surgical scars show ability to take pain or bravery. At the time I’d have let the surgeon do anything to keep me from dying which was pretty cowardly. Once I went under and woke up cut up, there was no going back no matter how much it hurt. While Receiving your tattoos it sounds like you had many hours of pinpricks to endure and reflect...where a surgery only requires one for lights out.

No I get it now, I believe you that it hurts to get the electric needle puncturing you thousands of times a second. Makes sense. I was just naive and easily misled by an old guy trying to diminish the experience of the young. “Err when I was young we walked ten miles through snow...,”

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Huh, if my writing style projects an image like that it needs some work! :lol:

mistatwista

Post by mistatwista »

I think that this is a stupid question. Cause tattoos have many explanations, they can be just for fun, or for protection(jail), or for beauty, etc. It also can be stupid, but this isn't mean that tattoos are stupid.