Something From Nothing Log

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Ego

Re: Something From Nothing Log

Post by Ego »

Mrs. Ego sold one of the storage boxes for $20....

and found a brand new bike rack in the trash which she has listed on offerup and craigslist.

cheese

Post by cheese »

My girlfriend and I moved into a new apartment at the end of August which resulted in the usual bombardment of advertisements, discounts, coupons, etc. x2 after we both submitted our USPS change of address forms. Most of these are worthless but people will actually pay a couple bucks for certain coupons (e.g. Lowe's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Overstock, Wayfair).

Over the course of the past few months I've sold a couple dozen coupons for a net profit of $50+ after Ebay and Paypal took their respective cuts and accounting for postage (I send pictures of most coupons digitally but some are in-store only so I've also used a few envelopes/stamps). Most of this I managed in just a few minutes a day from my desk at work.

Certainly not a fortune (and not really scalable) but something from essentially nothing nonetheless!

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:16 pm
Found an Excalibur 5-tray food dehydrator for $7 this morning. Listed it for $85.

Sold the dehydrator for $85 to a young woman who was experimenting with raw foods and a pair of La Sportiva rock climbing shoes for $90 to a kid who was tired of borrowing shoes at the gym. Paid $5 for the shoes.

Last weekend I sold some hiking gear to a nice girl who was packed and ready to go camping. She didn't even get out of her car. She bought a warm Sea to Summit sleeping bag and a set of Leki hiking poles. I forget what I paid for 'em.

Ego

Post by Ego »

After almost two months the house is coming together. I found the chair at the swap meet for $30. It was absolutely filthy but made of industrial strength plastic so I literally took a hose to it and scrubbed it with bleach. The marble table was only $15. The table top was so friggin heavy I had to roll it part of the way to the car. Mrs. Ego made the cushions on the bench from scrap upholstery fabric we bought at an outlet near the border and stuffed them with the fluff from two giant $1 swap meet pillows. Out the window is our semi-obscured view of the bay.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Very nice. Will you sell most of these items before you are off on your next journey?

Ego

Post by Ego »

@7W, thank you. Yes, we generally try to buy things second-hand that are suited to our current place and can sell for considerably more. Everything will be sold before we leave next time.

I fully expect the marble table I bought from trash-pickers for $15 to fetch a 20x profit.

After Thanksgiving we plan to begin working on our living-showrooming concept where everything is listed for sale at absurdly high prices. We are listing it on Mrs. Ego's account as both men and women are more comfortable buying from women and - maybe I am wrong - but it seems as if women are more willing to pay astronomical prices for a piece that is exactly what they want. We shall see.

Gotta get going to the swap meet as Mrs. Ego realized last night that we have only enough flatware for four and we are hosting many more than that tomorrow. We must have sold it last time...hah!

Ego

Post by Ego »

I was digging through a box full of miscellaneous 3 for $1 flatware and saw the little Zwilling J.A. Henckels man on some pieces.

I got so distracted searching for the valuable stuff I forgot to get spoons. We are one spoon short so Mrs. Ego said I'll be using my Thanksgiving spork. Seems appropriate.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Found a framed painting this morning at the swap meet for $5.

Showroomed

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

I always like coming in here and seeing the magic you're working, @ego! I don't have enough knowledge of such things as evidenced by barely breaking even every time I've tried to flip something. Perhaps if I follow this thread long enough I'll absorb some of your expertise.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Hey Cheepnis, I'm glad you are enjoying my adventures in trash. I have yet to sell one of my absurdly-high-priced items so we shall see if it works out.

Yesterday I bought four chairs for $75. They match our table but Mrs. Ego isn't thrilled with them so away they go.

I also got around to Craigslisting the Arc'teryx jacket I used on the last trip. I think of this kind of stuff as overpriced hot-potatoes. I don't want to get caught holding it when it gets stained or some other mishap causes it to lose significant value. I prefer to buy my stuff post-hot-potato at a significant discount then see if I can fix the damage. Trouble is, after fixing it I find myself with a potential hot-potato once again and have to sell it. So it goes.

Speaking of Craigslist, they finally released an official app. Some are unhappy about it because you have to have a google account to use it. I find it much easier to use it than the mobile friendly web version. I suspect they will add an in-app contact function sooner or later which will completely eliminating phone and/or email contact.

Ego

Post by Ego »

....also one of my friendly sellers often shows up with a lot of interesting shelf-pull groceries. Sometimes I buy things from him to re-sell. Other times I buy things we use. He knows I buy healthy stuff and he usually sets it aside for me as most of the shoppers want things like chocolate, beef jerky and cookies.

Yesterday he pulled out a box full of this Ito En Japanese Matcha powder for me. I drink a lot of green tea and prefer matcha if I can find it cheap, which almost never happens. They expired last week. He has a grocery seller permit and is not supposed to sell expired stuff but will often unload it very early (before 8am) knowing that the city inspectors will not be out until later.

They sell on Amazon for $20.65 each. I bought what I hope to be a three year supply of six packages for $3 each.

Tonight there is a free Christmas concert in the park across the street. The Village People are playing. At a Christmas concert. Go figure. We're going.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

The real Village People? Do they even have tribute bands?

I would go. But I hope they've all been working out.

Ego

Post by Ego »

The real Village People, though I believe a few of the members are new. It was a great show. We arrived 20 minutes early and got seats in the seventh row, center. They were promoting a Christmas album so they did the show for free.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Continuing to shed my old climbing gear. Sold my ice axe for $30 today to a Brazilian who is planning on climbing Mr. Whitney in a few weeks.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Ego wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:05 pm
Mrs. Ego sold one of the storage boxes for $20 and found a brand new bike rack in the trash which she has listed on offerup and craigslist.
She sold the bike rack for $24 to a pain-in-the-ass baggage handler who just moved here from Florida. He negotiated, then agreed to a price, then tried to renegotiate, then agreed to $25, then finally showed up with $24 rather than $25. This is the first time we've encountered someone like this. I blame Florida.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I have met people like this but on the other side. They agree to a price, then when they establish that I want it enough to have come all the way to them, raise the price on me once I'm at the door.

People suck.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Used part of Mrs. Ego's bike rack funds to buy this Big Berkey for $15 at the swap meet this morning. It is brand new with two black elements installed and the filter stand.

I know several here have purchased them second hand. Is $165 a good asking (starting) price on Craigslist with the understanding that I will probably go down a bit? Ebay transaction costs coupled with shipping costs makes it a less than desirable item to sell there.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Looks like the size we have (bought new). I think the key issue are the filters (that's what you're paying for). If they hadn't been installed (guaranteed new) vs their installed condition (new - other) and how convincingly you can make that point. $165 is a reasonable starting point. Getting it for $15 is unbelievable.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Good. I will stick with $165.

It was strange. The guy told me he had paid more than $300 for it and was frustrated that his wife refused to allow him to use it because she didn't like the way it looked in the kitchen. The way his friend chuckled and groaned I got the feeling there was way more to the story than that but I left without asking, not wanting cause him more grief.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Sold the Berkey for $165 to a super-nice young woman who drove an hour from Orange County to get here. She and her husband have five kids. They've been buying bottled water from Whole Foods and want to stop. She also talked about needing clean water for Kombucha that she will somehow make into beer. I didn't completely follow the plan, but she was enthusiastic so I was enthusiastic too. California.

She also explained that Berkey's are not allowed to be sold in California for some reason. True?